St Andrews Links - no booking

mattybk

Visit site
Hi - 3 of us looking to play on St Andrews links on a Friday in the middle of June, preferably New/Jubilee. Not massively keen on a 7am tee off time, so only other option is to turn up and play with a booking. The bookings office seemed fairly relaxed that we could just turn up and the starter would sort us out without any hassle.

Does anyone have any experience of this? Are we likely to be able to do this easily, do you still need to be there first thing in the morning, etc?

Thanks in advance for any help

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
From memory, you book the New the day before and the Jubilee there is no booking you just turn up and play.
I never had a problem getting onto either of these courses, though that was some years ago. Longest wait was about an hour - perfect for breakfast in the top-notch 'clubhouse'.

I loved the New as a course. Not quite so impressed with Jubilee, mainly for 'flow' and that's probably being a bit picky. Jubilee seems a tad tougher, but that may be my 'familiarity' of The New. Some great holes on both of them, so Enjoy!

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
what about the Castle course could you book that the day before ?

Played the castle last week and absolutely loved it. Played the Old too, but both were booked as a package back in September last year. Have also played New, Eden and Dukes. The Castle is my absolute favourite of them all, we’ll worth a go if you can get on.

mattybk

Visit site
Thought it worth writing back on this post-event as it is something that is hard to find much info about online and hopefully helpful for others in future.

We played here on a very sunny Friday following a fairly miserable Thursday so thought it might be busier than average. However arriving at about 9.45 got off on The New within 45 mins. Similar waiting times for Jubilee.

People turning up whilst we waited had similar lead times and coming off at the 18th people seemed to be getting straight on for a twilight round.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
For advance applications to play the Old Course in 2020, applications can be made via an online form 10:00am BST on Wednesday 21 August until midnight Wednesday 4 September 2019.

https://www.standrews.com/play/courses/old-course/booking-the-old-course

For anyone interested, I've done this twice now, two years apart. Gave them three 2 week windows from May to August, and got on both times.