SSS / SI / CSS /Handicap adjustments

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just trying to get my head round these terms. Correct me if I'm wrong and please feel free to answer my questions!

SSS- is basically a measure of how difficult a course is i.e. what a scratch golfer should be able to go round in.

SI- This is used to calculate your shot allowance on each hole.

a) If one is a 25 handicap and the SI for a hole is 7, does he/she get 1 shot or two shots above par?

b) is the SI for a whole affected by the SSS?

CSS- Basically a changeable SSS for a given competition. The CSS is decided based on the performance of the competitors (which should be affected by weather conditions etc) i.e. after the comp, and therefore after you finish your round in the comp, you're not entirely sure of what your handicap will be until you read the noticeboard.

Handicap adjustment

a) As a Cat 4 golfer, I would get a 0.4 cut for every shot under the CSS. It doesn't matter if my previous 2 cards were rubbish scores of 148 strokes, I would still be cut.

b) As a Cat 4 golfer, if my net score for the round plus four strokes is greater than the CSS for that day, I will have 0.1 added to my handicap.

Thanks y'all.

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yeah you got it :thup:

The S.I is used to allocate shots in stableford/matchplay so a 25 handicap gets 2 shots on holes 1-7.
In matchplay the full difference in handicap is allocated on relevant holes.

Last edited:

scottbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
You will go up 0.1 if higher than 4 stokes based on CSS and with any round downs taken place. For handicap purposes the worst you can score on a hole is me double bogey.
Also si is for match play and irrelevant IMO to difficulty.

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Pretty much got it. In addition...

SI isn't supposed to be based entirely on hole difficulty but often it is. There are rules for applying SI o holes. Check he CONGU website for more details.

CSS can work out to be 1 less or 3 more than SSS. It is based on the percentage of golfers in each category that play to or better than their buffer. If CSS works out more than SSS+3 then a competition is "reductions only" meaning even if you are outside the buffer, you don't go up 0.1 but those shooting better than CSS do get cut

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
CSS can work out to be 1 less or 3 more than SSS. It is based on the percentage of golfers in each category that play to or better than their buffer. If CSS works out more than SSS+3 then a competition is "reductions only" meaning even if you are outside the buffer, you don't go up 0.1 but those shooting better than CSS do get cut

Thanks for added, important info. Seems fair.

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Can someone explain the part in bold?

I think what he means is the worst score on any hole for handicap purposes is a nett double bogey. So if you are playing a medal and you score 10 on a par 5 that you receive 1 shot on, the score for competition purposes counts as a 10. For handicap purposes however, it is rounded down to a nett double bogey so a gross 8 (8-1 being 7 which is a nett double bogey for that hole)

This is important to remember in competition as it means you can still hit your buffer even if your gross score is above it. Hope that makes sense