SSS question

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Our course is Par 71 SSS 69, we have a par 4 at 451 yards, could we change this hole to a par 5,so we would have Par 72 SSS 70

Could we just do this ourselfs ? Or would the the course have to be assessed again and the golf Union involved?

D

Deleted member 15344

You can make the changes and then an assessor comes to the course to verify the SSS and par

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Possibly it makes the course appear more attractive - par 72 "sounds" better than par 71.
My first club was a 9 hole par 68 - when they extended to 18 they specifically designed a hole to be a bit longer to be able to make the course par 71 and therefore longer, higher par and "better" than my current club which is Par 70

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
you might find that at 450 yards the SSS might not change as its still an easy hole to the a scratch player could reach easily in two still and make birdie..

so you still have and sss of 69 par 72 as its calculated what a scratch player would score.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Our course is Par 71 SSS 69, we have a par 4 at 451 yards, could we change this hole to a par 5,so we would have Par 72 SSS 70

Could we just do this ourselfs ? Or would the the course have to be assessed again and the golf Union involved?

It is up to the club to set the par for each hole within the parameters laid down by CONGU. The SSS is based on the course as a whole so would be unlikely to change if the course length remains unchanged.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
As has been suggested, the course hasn't changed so the SSS will not change.

In my experience the bigger the gap between Par and SSS the more confused people get as to their true performance. Ie a worse than pointless exercise.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I am curious why you want to change it?

Our course is one of the hardest I've played and I've been playing for over 25 years,
we get very little run on the ball even in summer, and it's generally aceppted that if our members were to play elsewhere there h/cs would be 3 shots lower.

The hole I mention generally plays into a prevailing wind and given that we get little run on the ball this makes it very hard .

I recently played 6 courses two in England and four in Scotland, each course was easier than ours, three of the courses had par 5s shorter than our par 4 451 yard hole.

On these 6 courses I was getting a minimum of 40 yards run on two shots into par 4s and par 5s, so if you add all this run on the ball during the round it's like playing a extra par 4 on our course.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Our course is one of the hardest I've played and I've been playing for over 25 years,
we get very little run on the ball even in summer, and it's generally aceppted that if our members were to play elsewhere there h/cs would be 3 shots lower.

The hole I mention generally plays into a prevailing wind and given that we get little run on the ball this makes it very hard .

I recently played 6 courses two in England and four in Scotland, each course was easier than ours, three of the courses had par 5s shorter than our par 4 451 yard hole.

On these 6 courses I was getting a minimum of 40 yards run on two shots into par 4s and par 5s, so if you add all this run on the ball during the round it's like playing a extra par 4 on our course.

What's the reason for the little run?
Could there be a simple solution of asking your greenkeeper to cut the fairways and first cut of rough a little lower?

To get the extra shot on SSS you'd have to add some yardage to the course or additional hazards and then get it reassessed.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
What's the reason for the little run?
Could there be a simple solution of asking your greenkeeper to cut the fairways and first cut of rough a little lower?

To get the extra shot on SSS you'd have to add some yardage to the course or additional hazards and then get it reassessed.

Ours is not what you would call a normal course we have pick and place all year, our club is run by volunteers including the green keeper, not for us the nice manicured fairways most are used to.:)

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site

but with your SSS being 2 under par that suggests its an easier course. The SSS is standard scratch score... so a calculation of whats a scratch player would score at the course. so he would shoot 69.

for instance a cat 1 player would have to shoot under par net to just make buffer.

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site

Unless you lengthen the hole or change it to make it more difficult to make a 4, the SSS will remain exactly the same! Pointless exercise!

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
but with your SSS being 2 under par that suggests its an easier course. The SSS is standard scratch score... so a calculation of whats a scratch player would score at the course. so he would shoot 69.

for instance a cat 1 player would have to shoot under par net to just make buffer.

I can assure you it's not a easy course, I understand what the SSS means, I would think any scratch player playing our course for the first 5 times wouldn't break par,to give a example we had a pro here a few years ago and he never broke par on our course.:thup:

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I can assure you it's not a easy course, I understand what the SSS means, I would think any scratch player playing our course for the first 5 times wouldn't break par,to give a example we had a pro here a few years ago and he never broke par on our course.:thup:

What is the css every week?

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I'm intrigued to know which course this is?

Our course is Whalsay Golf Club in Shetland the most northerly course in the UK.

On the plus side our course has views to match any course in the UK, the SGU described our 18th as one of the best finishing holes in Scotland, our signature hole the par 4 16th is played from a elevated tee high on a cliff top with sea views that on a fine day are stunning.

I have seen pods of killer whales, minke whales,porpoises, otters from our course.

But I would lay odds that anyone on this forum wouldn't play to their h/c. on our course.:thup:

D

Deleted member 15344

Our course is Whalsay Golf Club in Shetland the most northerly course in the UK.

On the plus side our course has views to match any course in the UK, the SGU described our 18th as one of the best finishing holes in Scotland, our signature hole the par 4 16th is played from a elevated tee high on a cliff top with sea views that on a fine day are stunning.

I have seen pods of killer whales, minke whales,porpoises, otters from our course.

But I would lay odds that anyone on this forum wouldn't play to their h/c. on our course.:thup:

When I went to Saxa Vord for a bit I played that course and it was lovely but very windy and tough