SSS question

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
As has been suggested, the course hasn't changed so the SSS will not change.

In my experience the bigger the gap between Par and SSS the more confused people get as to their true performance. Ie a worse than pointless exercise.

Ours was always par 71 sss 70 off whites, we had it re examined as it seems we wanted par and sss the same and, without any changes that's what we got

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Ours was always par 71 sss 70 off whites, we had it re examined as it seems we wanted par and sss the same and, without any changes that's what we got

I would have rated yours like that - it's just one of those courses that plays tougher than it looks on paper or in the flesh. It was one of the course that I believed would get a difference out of the revised rating system and may even get a greater bogey index, and therefore slope for higher handicaps, in due course. The other one in the area is Langley Park.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I would have rated yours like that - it's just one of those courses that plays tougher than it looks on paper or in the flesh. It was one of the course that I believed would get a difference out of the revised rating system and may even get a greater bogey index, and therefore slope for higher handicaps, in due course. The other one in the area is Langley Park.

I wasn't aware that the system had changed but absolutely agree with your sentiment

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site

Pretty sure the 're-raters' will also look at history of CSS. And if it's generally more than Par, they might adjust up, expecially if the 'distance' parameter that is the main parameter for CSS is also near a boundary.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Pretty sure the 're-raters' will also look at history of CSS. And if it's generally more than Par, they might adjust up, expecially if the 'distance' parameter that is the main parameter for CSS is also near a boundary.

For a closed group, as many clubs effectively are for handicapping and their course, the rating is pretty much self correcting ie over time the players handicaps will distort to the SSS (which is one of the factors as to how they become strong or weak when travelling)

D

Deleted member 15344

We made some changes to our coirse including swapping a few hole pars about and our SSS was increased

Sponge1980

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Our course is Whalsay Golf Club in Shetland the most northerly course in the UK.

On the plus side our course has views to match any course in the UK, the SGU described our 18th as one of the best finishing holes in Scotland, our signature hole the par 4 16th is played from a elevated tee high on a cliff top with sea views that on a fine day are stunning.

I have seen pods of killer whales, minke whales,porpoises, otters from our course.

But I would lay odds that anyone on this forum wouldn't play to their h/c. on our course.:thup:

Your 19th hole is pretty good too. Played your course a few years ago. Great course and great members too.