Ssangyong Cars

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Does anybody on here have any experience of, or know anybody that has a Ssangyong car?

Just wondering if they are any good.

Wooky

Assistant Pro
Visit site
In the past, they have used superseeded Mercedes engines & gearboxes.
But, I would be very wary.
Spares are very difficult, if not impossible to get hold of.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Does anybody on here have any experience of, or know anybody that has a Ssangyong car?
Just wondering if they are any good.

My only experience with Ssangyong in the past has been trying to price one when being offered one in part exchange.
Almost impossible to find anyone who is prepared to underwrite one, and when you do they offer absolute peanuts. Eye watering depreciation.
As Wooky mentions, spares can be very difficult to locate.
Ask yourself how many you see on the road. You could drive solidly for two days and maybe not pass one.
If you were thinking of buying one new, you would be better off putting your money in a 2nd hand example of a "better" marque.
If you were thinking of buying a second hand one, it would need to be as cheap as chips.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
For a bit of balance. They seem to have a decent rep in the towing community (not first hand). As above, tend to be using non leading edge but fairly solid running gear. Not pushing fuel efficiency boundaries.
If new they used to sell on low purchase price, think warranty up to 5 years now. As limited numbers come in you'd want to have a dealer not to far away. As smiffy says depreciate swiftly but can be off set by initial purchase if sums and how plan to use works.
From my experience see more on roads on mainland Europe, perhaps due to historically lower fuel prices and the towing piece.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
If that is the kind of car you are looking for and ( being put off by comments), I would suggest having a look on say "autocar" websites. They can do a comparison between three cars, and also suggestions of other cars which may suprise you.

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. I'm in the market for a crossover and thought that their new one might be a viable option. I tend to keep cars for a long time anyway as my current Astra has now been in my passion for nearly 12 years and have had it from new.
I had a Sierra before that for 9 years and only got rid of because nobody was selling leaded fuel anymore. Perfect working order and couldn't give it away so it went to the scrap yard and I didn't get a penny for it.

Last edited:

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
My wife was recently I the market for a crossover. Tried loads. The Dacia Duster was surprisingly decent but ended up with a Mitsubishi ASX. It has proved to be a great car, I have been very impressed

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. I'm in the market for a crossover and thought that their new one might be a viable option. I tend to keep cars for a long time anyway as my current Astra has now been in my passion for nearly 12 years and have had it from new.

If you are going to keep it for that length of time, depreciation isn't really an issue then. 12 years down the line whatever you buy is going to be worth bugger all.
So now your main criteria has got to be reliability.
Personally, I would stick with Japanese or Korean, but despite being Korean I would still dismiss the Ssanyong.
Dealer spread is not the best and as already mentioned, parts are very difficult to get hold of, and costly.
Servicing is also likely to be more expensive than some of the more established marques.
I would also avoid a Dacia.

mikevet

Assistant Pro
Visit site
We purchased a SsangYong Korando Sports a year ago, since we wanted something to replace an old expensive and inefficient Landrover Discovery. It had to be able to tow a horse trailer and have plenty of room. Decided to look at double-cab pickups, and plumped for the SsangYong because of good reviews. Have to say absolutely delighted with it - runs well, comfortable on long journeys, tows like a dream. No problem getting spares (so far!). Impressive dealership not far away. Yes, we know it'll depreciate rapidly (that's why it was such a good price at 1 year old), but the intention is to run it into the ground rather than replace it after a year or two.

D

Deleted member 18121

Sorry to revive a 5 year old thread but it's now relevant again.

Does anyone had first hand experience in recent times? The Mrs is thinking of changing cars in near future but she likes a toy..... And the ssangyong Tivoli xlv would seem to fit what she would like and also fits the budget of up to £8.5k

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My wife had the Tivoli, in top spec 4x4 auto form. It had tons of kit and a real peach of an engine. The main gripe was the cost of brakes and distinct lack of after market options which tied you into the dealer prices, which TBH were on a par with BMW. We sold it, and she went for a Yaris hybrid because as much as she loved the driving position and how well it went, the servicing/maintainance costs were unbearable.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Cheers guys, looks like a second hand Mazda then.
If youre buying it from a dealer, get them to have the wheels powder coated. Mazda only spray their wheels, and they are very common to start lifting under the finish even from new. My dealer always gets his used stock powder coated now as it is better in the long run for them.

D

Deleted member 18121

My wife had the Tivoli, in top spec 4x4 auto form. It had tons of kit and a real peach of an engine. The main gripe was the cost of brakes and distinct lack of after market options which tied you into the dealer prices, which TBH were on a par with BMW. We sold it, and she went for a Yaris hybrid because as much as she loved the driving position and how well it went, the servicing/maintainance costs were unbearable.

Was the servicing expensive as it was needed to keep the 7yr warranty? I ask as I just checked kwik for a full service price and it's less than £200