Squaring the hips.....

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
...... To start the downswing.

After having it pointed out that I wasn't doing this by a scratch member at our club. This has solved some of the biggest issues with my game, well, off the tee anyway.

My (Silly) question is. Should the downswing be started by squaring the hips on all shots (apart from putting) or only specific shots??

Any advice much appreciated.

FG_HOOR

Club Champion
Visit site
i think the downswing should start by your left hip moving back out the way and then drop the arms down into the slot and rotate through to a good balanced finish.

thats the main problem in my swing, i thrust my hips towards the golf ball instead of my left hip moving out the way. i've been tested for my flexibility and strength and i have poor internal hip rotation and a weak lower back. i have a stretching routine that i do every morning and the guy is making me up a gym programme based on my weaknesses.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Just back from the range.

Through the downswing, as it starts, i feel my weight move toward onto the front foot and feel my hips turning toward the target.

At the point the club impacts the ball my hips have turned slightly past the ball (using a clockface as an example, with 12 being the middle of my stance and ball position of a wedge, my hips are pointing yoward 11) Does this sound about right or have i gone too far?

Ball flight was nice and straight and seemed longer than usual, although i did catch a few slightly fat (but this was probably more down to my setup and posture than the swing)

Any opinons greatly received.