Squaring the driver club face

JT77

Tour Winner
Visit site
Currently using a 917 d2, and having a few issues with squaring up the face, its not specific to this driver, its been a problem for a while.
can hit everything else in the bag just fine.
I think it started when i developed a hook with the driver, so i tried to change over to a fade to minimise the bad shots, however, this lead to other problems, over the last year, and now having lessons, the path my swing takes always comes in from the inside, and my swing suits a draw, but with the driver i tend to leave the face open at times and this causes a huge block, if i try to save it with the hads, it could be anything from a slice to topped hook, any way, it isnt pretty, so confidence is low with the big dog, so mostly play 3 wood from the tee.
New coach wants me to work on the driver as he feels it will give a little extra and could mean hitting a shorter iron in to holes, creating better scoring chances, we have done a little work on the driver, and on the monitor the numbers etc look great, shape is good etc, 9of10 with a draw, and only the one straighter to a small fade, but on the course its just back to rubbish and then confidence goes through the floor. I have a lesson on friday, so I will discuss with pro what i can do on course to help, but does anyone have any tips or drills for to help the sq the face at impact and or help remove the bad vibes standing on the tee! thanks

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
would help for sure to see a swing with the big stick & given what you describe a video from the dtl viewpoint

but given that not available right now often times with this kinda issue the stuff that tends to happen is the driver is coming from inside maybes even a tad too much maybes not but also with the desire for distance there's some extra effort put in which leads to a hip thrust then the only real ways to get clubhead to ball is also to raise the hands/handle upwards & outwards with hands/handle also forwards of the clubhead a tad - in effect the shaft & clubhead never really get "released" into the ball at impact

- this high hands means the shaft is a deal more vertical than it was at set-up - all this stuff means the face is always goin to be open at impact - leading with high hands there's no real "body rotation to the tad of arm rotation needed to square up the face - so ball is going either straight-ish rightfield or kinda block fade/slice even further rightfield

so would need to feel a concept of the hands/handle being delivered much lower & traveling left into/at impact (so the shaft is more at a similar angle when looked from dtl viewpoint) - a feeling that the clubhead is being delivered at impact toe up with that lower shaft angle

don't confuse lower hands/handle & traveling left at/though impact with the club head swinging left through impact it ch doesn't really work that ways
as the hands/handle are lower so the shaft is at a much better angel to deliver center face & the COG of the clubhead into the ball
as that hands/handle direction of travel actually sends the shaft outwards from inside still to the ball & as this happens the clubhead so club face 'catches up' at impact to align more in-line (when viewed from face-on) so the club face is square through impact

have a look at try this 'drill feel' should help a bunch (it's important that you do 'split' the hands when you try it out - so say the hands split on the handle & at least placed with room for an 'extra' hand to fit between them)

[video=youtube;JhPPfsJLftg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhPPfsJLftg[/video]

JT77

Tour Winner
Visit site
thanks coach
I will try to get a video up as hoping to get to the range later, what you stated sounds familiar, i know that when I hit a bad one, i either get too quick, hip slide without rotation or flip it.