Squaring the clubface question

Slaighty

Club Champion
Visit site
Guys, your thoughts please. Determined to kill my slice I went to work on getting my swing path correct. Won't bore you with details, turned out it was ok, so culprit had to be open clubface at impact. Already had a strong grip, so wasn't that. But at one range visit, I consciously tried to square the face at impact, and guess what? No more slice. Have read many insruction articles which say this should happen automatically, but then I'm not a natural athlete at any sport. So, my question is, does anyone else have to do this or does it come naturally to you?

Bossman96

Club Champion
Visit site
Same for me mate, have to make a concious effort to square up a impact. I also use a strong grip but without reminding myself I slice badly.

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have to work quite hard......if you look at the aggressive way someone like Woosnam used to cross his hands through impact, it's fair to say that not everyone finds it easy.

The odd thing I found though is that as you get better with the path, the face starts to seems less of an issue.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
The problem with having to consciously manipulate the clubface back to square is that in time your swing will become out of synch and by getting active with your hands you will end up either coming in with too much hand action leading to low snap hooks or you won't get the timing right and will hit blocks right.

If you are having to consciously square the club there must be an intrinsic swing fault causing the original slice. My recommendation would be to stop trying to manipulate the clubface and go to a local PGA pro and get the root cause looked at.

This isn't a sleight at what you have done. It takes a fair bit of skill to work the clubface square so fair play to you. However if you play competitive golf, there will come a time under pressure when you won't be able to do it. By getting the swing corrected it will stand up much better to pressure and allow you to swing without too many thoughts

ianmc

Club Champion
Visit site
a few years ago i had the same problem.you could be casting the club on the way down meaning you start your downswing with your arms leading to an open clubface at impact try turning your left leg if your right handed towards the target and you will find that you will drop the club into the right slot on the way down.ian mc

B

birdieman

split your hands so there is 4" between them on the grip and practice swinging, it forces you to turn the hands over. Try and recreate the same feeling when you hit balls for real.