sprinkler head

Cherry13

Head Pro
Visit site
Can anyone point me in the direction of rule for ball coming to rest in sprinkler head by green? I know its free relief no nearer hole etc, but is it drop/place and at whst distance.

Thanks in advance.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Can anyone point me in the direction of rule for ball coming to rest in sprinkler head by green? I know its free relief no nearer hole etc, but is it drop/place and at whst distance.

Thanks in advance.

It's a Local Rule, so check the card. Here's the recommended one:

Immovable Obstructions Close To Putting Green
Rule 24-2 provides relief, without penalty, from interference by an immovable obstruction, but it also provides that, except on the putting green, intervention on the line of play is not, of itself, interference under this Rule.

However, on some courses, the aprons of the putting greens are so closely mown that players may wish to putt from just off the green. In such conditions, immovable obstructions on the apron may interfere with the proper playing of the game and the introduction of the following Local Rule providing additional relief, without penalty, from intervention by an immovable obstruction would be warranted:

“Relief from interference by an immovable obstruction may be taken under Rule 24-2.

In addition, if a ball lies through the green and an immovable obstruction on or within two club-lengths of the putting green and within two club-lengths of the ball intervenes on the line of play between the ball and the hole, the player may take relief as follows:

The ball must be lifted and dropped at the nearest point to where the ball lay that (a) is not nearer the hole, (b) avoids intervention and (c) is not in a hazard or on a putting green.

If the player’s ball lies on the putting green and an immovable obstruction within two club-lengths of the putting green intervenes on his line of putt, the player may take relief as follows:

The ball must be lifted and placed at the nearest point to where the ball lay that (a) is not nearer the hole, (b) avoids intervention and (c) is not in a hazard.

The ball may be cleaned when lifted.

Exception: A player may not take relief under this Local Rule if interference by anything other than the immovable obstruction makes the stroke clearly impracticable.

PENALTY FOR BREACH OF LOCAL RULE:
Match play – Loss of hole; Stroke play – Two strokes.”

Note: The Committee may restrict this Local Rule to specific holes, to balls lying only in closely mown areas, to specific obstructions, or, in the case of obstructions that are not on the putting green, to obstructions in closely mown areas if so desired. “Closely mown area” means any area of the course, including paths through the rough, cut to fairway height or less.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site

Thanks in advance.

It's not a Local Rule. Where there is direct interference (eg ball on sprinkler head) it is straightforward relief from an Immovable Obstruction.

(i)Through the Green: If the ball lies through the green, the player must lift the ball and drop it, without penalty, within one club-length of and not nearer the hole than the nearest point of relief. The nearest point of relief must not be in a hazard or on a putting green. When the ball is dropped within one club-length of the nearest point of relief, the ball must first strike a part of the course at a spot that avoids interference by the immovable obstruction and is not in a hazard and not on a putting green.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
It's not a Local Rule. Where there is direct interference (eg ball on sprinkler head) it is straightforward relief from an Immovable Obstruction.

Doh! Indeed, that sort of relief is in 24-2 that the Local Rule refers to.

I daftly assumed it was for the non-standard (so LR required) interference with line.

There's nothing 'special' about relief for sprinkler heads - just the same as imbedded benches etc anywhere else on the course. They are just a bit more common and 'at ground level'. That's also why no LR is required for relief from sprinkler heads that are in the rough - even though some clubs actually quote the rule as an LR on the card.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
It's on our card and refers to the "within 2 club lengths of the putting green ..... " that Fox mentions, it does clear up easily the odd argument

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
I daftly assumed it was for the non-standard (so LR required) interference with line.
It's so easy to do when you are dealing with a question in a forum and misread. You would never make that mistake if you were actually looking at ball sitting on a sprinkler head.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
It's on our card and refers to the "within 2 club lengths of the putting green ..... " that Fox mentions, it does clear up easily the odd argument

that will be for the additional relief available from a sprinkler head on your line of play as rulefan has already clarified.

Cherry13

Head Pro
Visit site

(i)Through the Green: If the ball lies through the green, the player must lift the ball and drop it, without penalty, within one club-length of and not nearer the hole than the nearest point of relief. The nearest point of relief must not be in a hazard or on a putting green. When the ball is dropped within one club-length of the nearest point of relief, the ball must first strike a part of the course at a spot that avoids interference by the immovable obstruction and is not in a hazard and not on a putting green.

Cheers, much appreciated. 1 club and drop. Was just this part was unsure of really.