Sports persons taking the knee

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
Thought we should add a bit more of what Zaha said to provide context, rather than selectively choosing one paragraph.

"When people constantly want to get me to do Black Lives Matter talks and racial talks and I'm like, I'm not doing it just so you can put 'Zaha spoke for us'. Like a tick box, basically.

"I'm not doing any more, because unless things change. I'm not coming to chat to you just for the sake of it, like all the interviews I've done.
"All these platforms - you see what's happening, you see people making fake accounts to abuse black people constantly, but you don't change it.
"So don't tell me to come and chat about stuff that's not going to change. Change it.
"All that stuff that you lot are doing, all these charades mean nothing."

He’s having a dig at the system and the virtue signalling of the PL and Football authorities, he’s not against “taking the knee”

Complete article here:
https://www.sportbible.com/football...ing-blm-shirts-is-degrading-20210212.amp.html
It’s also a pretty stupid argument to make - “Well if a black man thinks BLM and taking the knee isn’t right then it isn’t right”.

D

Deleted member 16999

It’s also a pretty stupid argument to make - “Well if a black man thinks BLM and taking the knee isn’t right then it isn’t right”.
Noooo. It’s a game for middle aged men to play, find an article from a black sportsman to prove my point.

I’ve the interview with Anthony Watson up my sleeve to play as my joker.

D

Deleted member 15344

Thought we should add a bit more of what Zaha said to provide context, rather than selectively choosing one paragraph.

"When people constantly want to get me to do Black Lives Matter talks and racial talks and I'm like, I'm not doing it just so you can put 'Zaha spoke for us'. Like a tick box, basically.

"I'm not doing any more, because unless things change. I'm not coming to chat to you just for the sake of it, like all the interviews I've done.
"All these platforms - you see what's happening, you see people making fake accounts to abuse black people constantly, but you don't change it.
"So don't tell me to come and chat about stuff that's not going to change. Change it.
"All that stuff that you lot are doing, all these charades mean nothing."

He’s having a dig at the system and the virtue signalling of the PL and Football authorities, he’s not against “taking the knee”

Complete article here:
https://www.sportbible.com/football...ing-blm-shirts-is-degrading-20210212.amp.html
Noooo. It’s a game for middle aged men to play, find an article from a black sportsman to prove my point.

I’ve the interview with Anthony Watson up my sleeve to play as my joker.

What a sanctimonious pair you really are -

It’s appear you sit there and wait and leap upon any opportunity to attempt to show people up and feel all superior about yourself- even worse when one of you spent yesterday pointing fingers at others for doing exactly what you are doing now

The article was about it Brentford deciding to stop taking the knee, the same as many other sports teams are now doing , that article contain one paragraph of quote from a player who has been subjected to racist abuse in his career.?

D

Deleted member 18588

Zaha's comments seem, to me at least, to be borne out of understandable frustration.

Over the years we have seen many campaigns in the media and in football and other sports trying to eliminate racism.

However, after a while the attention drifts away and the campaign is forgotten by the majority.

And what has been achieved?

Judging by the continued abuse suffered by many on social media I would say very little.

If I were in Wilfred Zaha's boots I think I might take the same position.

Enough gestures, time that society faced up to the fact that there is a problem and start taking action against the perpetrators of this evil .

And educate, not just the children but their parents and grandparents.

D

Deleted member 16999

What a sanctimonious pair you really are -

It’s appear you sit there and wait and leap upon any opportunity to attempt to show people up and feel all superior about yourself- even worse when one of you spent yesterday pointing fingers at others for doing exactly what you are doing now

The article was about it Brentford deciding to stop taking the knee, the same as many other sports teams are now doing , that article contain one paragraph of quote from a player who has been subjected to racist abuse in his career.?
From the bloke who said nothing about the America’s Cup and taking the knee until CaptainRon mentioned it and you jumped on the bandwagon???

D

Deleted member 16999

Zaha's comments seem, to me at least, to be borne out of understandable frustration.

Over the years we have seen many campaigns in the media and in football and other sports trying to eliminate racism.

However, after a while the attention drifts away and the campaign is forgotten by the majority.

And what has been achieved?

Judging by the continued abuse suffered by many on social media I would say very little.

If I were in Wilfred Zaha's boots I think I might take the same position.

Enough gestures, time that society faced up to the fact that there is a problem and start taking action against the perpetrators of this evil .

And educate, not just the children but their parents and grandparents.
Absolutely agree mate, your explanation and thoughts make far more sense than highlighting one comment and risk that being taken out of context.(y)

www.hiltonpark.net
The simple way to bring a rapid end to vile racist comments on social media is to stop annonomous accounts. Make the paltforms verify the identity of all users and the problem of vile trolls abusing people will go into freefall and the perpetrators can be dealt with appropriatly under the law
That's a great thing for social media to implement but it still doesn't cure the fact the we have deep racist elements within our society.

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
That's a great thing for social media to implement but it still doesn't cure the fact the we have deep racist elements within our society.

it should be law for them to implememnt it.
And while i don't disagree that we have racism in our society, the UK is still probably the most tolerant (or at least one of) and welcoming multi-cultural country in the world, it has significantly improved contininously over the past 50 years and that trend is likely to continue. I work in a large team of 40+ and i am just about the token englishman - that would not happen in many countries. It is also sad to see countries like South Africa turn from the disgusting apartheid era into something that is now openly racist and discriminatory against the small minority white population