spirit of the game

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
We had an interesting conversation the other day about the the spirit of the game, main bone of contention was guys using the mat in such a way you could hit driver off it when you would have no chance under normal conditions. Its allowed of course, like some others have mentioned they they have teeing up on the fairway.

what else do you consider against the spirit of the game?

D

Deleted Member 1156

We had an interesting conversation the other day about the the spirit of the game, main bone of contention was guys using the mat in such a way you could hit driver off it when you would have no chance under normal conditions. Its allowed of course, like some others have mentioned they they have teeing up on the fairway.

Why is this against the spirit of the game?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
More the pro's for me. Good old Phil for example seems to take quite a few drops that go his way. He seems to be very unlucky with how his stance, swing etc is interfered with that requires a free drop in a better location. Always within the rules, the rules man checks it of course, but often not really in the spirit.

I don't know that I've seen anything at our level that has seemed off but I may read a post here that will jog my memory.

Wolf

Visit site
Handicap protection
☝️Exactly this and hopefully the WHS may help reduce this a little but I guess there will always be a way round that.

More the pro's for me. Good old Phil for example seems to take quite a few drops that go his way. He seems to be very unlucky with how his stance, swing etc is interfered with that requires a free drop in a better location. Always within the rules, the rules man checks it of course, but often not really in the spirit.

I don't know that I've seen anything at our level that has seemed off but I may read a post here that will jog my memory.
Phil is like the modern day Seve when it comes to pulling random awkward stances in order to facilitate a drop.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site

I’ve always thought that whatever club you claim to be using to gain relief, should be used for the shot after. For example someone pulling a driver and claiming a staked tree is in the way, when the wedge they should use from the rough would be impeded. Let em have relief then try and hit driver out of rough.

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
I’ve always thought that whatever club you claim to be using to gain relief, should be used for the shot after. For example someone pulling a driver and claiming a staked tree is in the way, when the wedge they should use from the rough would be impeded. Let em have relief then try and hit driver out of rough.
Youre getting the rules confused, if you are trying to get relief from an obstruction, then the club you are using to demonstrate the obstruction should be the club you would ordinary use, you cant for example use your driver just so you can make it reach the obstruction.
That said you dont have to use that club for your shot after you have taken relief.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Youre getting the rules confused, if you are trying to get relief from an obstruction, then the club you are using to demonstrate the obstruction should be the club you would ordinary use, you cant for example use your driver just so you can make it reach the obstruction.
That said you dont have to use that club for your shot after you have taken relief.

Ooops! Looks like I’ve had that rule wrong in my head all along. Not that I’ve done as I said above. But I k ow others who have.

D

Deleted Member 1156

For me, the mat is supposed to mimic the terrain it is sat on whilst also protecting it. People who bend the mat in such a way as to mimic a teed ball are taking the proverbial.
Understand that Danny but the OP doesn't say what the issue is. Might help if he gave some detail.

D

Deleted member 17920

Let them tee it up I say, they can’t do it in qualifiers and once the season is back in full flow they won’t know what to do when the ball is back on the deck.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
If there wasn't the mat but a big tuft of grass for them to place it on and use the driver would people complain? Its the same for everyone. Its not as if the driver is the easiest club in the bag.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Wedding?? You're living with a woman and have kids???

Wouldn't happen in my day 😩😩 (sadly)