Spirit of Golf debate

The_Golfer

Club Champion
Visit site
Well well well, evidently there are quite differing opinions here.. hence rules ensure nothing is left to interpretation....harsh at times Trueblue, but that's life. Glad to see that you won in the end. The moral of the story? "do what is fair. But to do what is fair, you need to know the Rules of Golf"

chipin1

Assistant Pro
Visit site
MacMachattie,

Sorry to sound a bit harsh but I think that it is you who is missing the point. Your opponent would have been wrong to create a bad atmosphere if you hadn't given him the putt. Like Trueblue's Dad, he shouldn't have put his playing partner in that difficult situation.

If you make a mistake you have to live by it - never ask your opponent to waive a rule to save your skin, it puts them in a difficult position and that's hardly in keeping with the "spirit of the game".

Trueblue

Head Pro
Visit site
Have to say as I have returned to reading the posts today I have been surprised, diappointed and buoyed in almost equal measures.

The point, as MacMachattie, so rightly pointed out (this post is straight to the point!) is that the spirit of the game was, for me and most people I have told about this instance (bar 75% of the people on this forum!), tarnished and I left with a sour taste in my mouth. We are not talking about bending the rules, waiving the rules or anything else - we are talking about a piece of common-sense and decency and I just think it's a shame for the game of golf that people can't recognise that.

As Swingstar pointed out, it is the proliferation of people like my opponent in this instance who are attracted to the game largely because of the chance to gleefully implemennt such rules. I just find it difficult to understand how the likes of Chipin1, Paul09 and Furyk expect to be able to promote the game outside of its traditional base to kids worldwide when people behave like this in such circumstances where clearly common-sense has not prevailed and instead a self-satisfied and smug idiot has soured the game.

Mutlee as for your gimme comment - i trust that you are a golfer and when a putt is sitting within the leather of your putter, let's say 9-inches, we all know it's a gimme. Let's stick with that shall we.

Anyway, glad to have promoted such fierce debate!

muttleee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
As Swingstar pointed out, it is the proliferation of people like my opponent in this instance who are attracted to the game largely because of the chance to gleefully implement such rules.

It sounds like it was your opponent's attitude that was the real problem here and not the rule itself. If he'd said "I'm really sorry but I'm afraid that's not allowed under the rules", would you have felt so angry about it?

And yes I'm a golfer and I know what I would consider a gimme to be. My earlier comment about Hale Irwin was just to show that any putt - no matter how short - can potentially be missed if you're too casual about it and lose concentration for a second.

golfdonkey

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I can't believe I'm hearing all this. I take the point about a strokeplay competition and the idea that the whole field should start on an equal footing (although this particular rule is ridiculous and should be changed). But in a match play situation - come on, we're playing a game here. And the argument that you can't challenge authority is daft as well. Again, in tennis, you still occasionally see a player demand a point be replayed if he believes the umpire has made an incorrect decision - IN HIS OWN FAVOUR. If the umpire says a ball's out and awards the point to Player A, I've seen Player A refuse to play on until the umpire allowes the point to be replayed. That's good sportsmanship and the umpire has little choice but to allow it although it's not strictly within the rules.

chipin1

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Golf donkey,

Maybe if you had a referee following every singles match then you could challenge authority but sadly you don't, so you can't.

Trueblue

Head Pro
Visit site
Chipin1 you missed the point (again) - it's not the fact that there is or is not a referee - it's the fact that players can, in certain circumstances, use their commonsense and sportsmanship to determine how best to proceed (before you all reply that players can't determine the rules I am not saying that - it is just in a situation like this or in the tennis situation above, there is clearly only one way forward!)

MacMachattie

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Chipin 1 - I understand your point. However, I'm a decent guy and I wanted to win that match in a way I felt was fair and square - my opponent, a 23 handicapper, was new to club competition last season. He recognised he should have lost the hole (because I told him), but I felt good about letting him take the putt. He won't be making the mistake again and hopefully I helped to foster good feelings in his early impressions of the sportsmanship and cameraderie that should be present in competitive club golf.

chipin1

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Fair enough I suppose but your opponent probably now thinks that it's ok to (in certain rare circumstances) to waive an unfair rule in competition. You may think you've helped him but what happens if he lets his playing partner hit a 2 footer again in a comp because something unforseen happened to put him off during his backswing.

I totally understand what you did and why you did it, but I still think you were wrong.

Trueblue

Head Pro
Visit site
Actually did consider it Howard! But course was full and 5 holes was a bit far for me ...had a big breakfast!

Might have avoided some confusion though!