Spiders and other creepy crawlies

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Was in Sri lanka a few years back and a bat flew straight down the center of our table in a restaurant , bloody huge that thing , large chicken does not do it justice it was massive you could feel the draught from
its wings.
Another time we were in Cuba and a trip was an excursion to a club\restaurant that was in some old caves called the bat caves by the locals , we were assured they no longer lived there as the missus is terrified of them .
However she went to the loo and one flew under the door in to the cubicle , i never seen her exit a loo as fast :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
There is a bat walk through area at Chester Zoo. My sister is freaked by them but if her beloved niece and nephew want to go in..........Her hood goes up, I wait, I wait, I wait, then brush the top of her head. Gets her every time :ROFLMAO:. The thing is she even knows it is coming now but because I vary the brush she doesn't know when.

I've had them give me a centre parting a few times but because it is a 'tame' area I'm okay with it. I'm sure being bombed in the wild would not make me so calm.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
More in line with thread topic than my other post. Our most populous crawly thing are Geckos and we'll have them indoors almost daily
Most annoying thing about them is when they crap down the wall but on the plus side they eat a helluva lot of mosquitoes in a shift so they get left alone to do their thing

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
Wife hates spiders with a phobic passion. I get called to remove them as I have no fear. I'm just wary of False Widows as a bite can lead to severe swelling in some cases.

One story on spiders. Previous house, I parted loosened the pendant on the kitchen light fitting, when I got side-tracked. Turned back around to see, in horror movie style, one leg, then another, then another, trying to get out of the kitchen pendant. I "notified" the wife, who was also in the kitchen. Never thought a woman could swear so much! I unscrewed the rest and this giant popped out; took some effort to get him in the pint glass!

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Was in Sri lanka a few years back and a bat flew straight down the center of our table in a restaurant , bloody huge that thing , large chicken does not do it justice it was massive you could feel the draught from
its wings.
Another time we were in Cuba and a trip was an excursion to a club\restaurant that was in some old caves called the bat caves by the locals , we were assured they no longer lived there as the missus is terrified of them .
However she went to the loo and one flew under the door in to the cubicle , i never seen her exit a loo as fast :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Reminds me of a scene from Jumanji. ?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
No fear of spiders but bats are a whole different matter. Had a panic attack in Prague Zoo when it was not clear that the exhibit I was walking into had live bats flyng around. Will not go on holiday to places like Sri Lanka that have bats the size of large chickens.

One of my little joys in life is sitting in the garden just before dusk with the bats flying all around my garden. They have the sense never to fly into me probably because it would kill or seriously injure them but I am still amazed at how their echo system lets them fly very close to me.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
We get them up to palm size in the garden, some making it into the house this time of year. Mrs Hobbit usually hits top ‘C’ when she sees one. If it’s one of the local jumping spiders I usually end up with tears rolling down my cheeks as she performs Riverdance, trying to kill them - not sure she’s managed to yet.

Great article in the local, English paper recently. Very few bite… none of them ‘hunt’ you out to do so. Most can’t even break your skin if they try. And most supposed spider bites are actually mossie bites that turn nasty.

Centipedes are nastier. Scorpions here are fairly rare, and it’s only a nasty wasp sting anyway. We see more snakes, up to 6 feet long, but they’re gone in a flash.

adam6177

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm a lot better now with spiders than ever before.... Not that I let them live mind you, but I dispatch them without fuss these days.

Now.... My big dislike is months, I hate those gits.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
We used to go no holiday with some family friends. The bloke was a big fella, ugly as sin, piercings all over his face, fists like dumb-bells, menacing looking...you'd probably cross over the other side of the road if you saw him walking towards you on a dark night and you certainly would never invite him into your house if you didn't know him (which could be a problem as he was a kitchen fitter :LOL:).

Anyway....we are on holiday one year, out for a walk, and I'm like turning over logs, corrugated sheets etc as we go, looking for "wildlife". On one occasion I find a small Grass Snake....I pick it up and it wraps itself around my arm. I shout over to my mate for him and his kids to come and have a look. He gets to within about ten yards of me....sees the snake wrapped round my arm and promptly does a fair impression of Usain Bolt across the other side of the field...apparently, he was terrified of the things!!!!