Spam Emails?

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm getting loads of e mails saying loads of different accounts are requesting new passwords and Ticketmaster even saying I've bought tickets. Panic stricken I've checked all money accounts and and nothing has been taken. Can I stop them?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If you reply to them you are confirming you exist, just bin them but before doing you can mark them as spam and future ones should go straight to your spam box.

Just remember to check your spam box to see if anything the should not be there is.

Some ISPs allow spam to be reported.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Delete them and do not reply

Might be worth updating your email password too .

I'd go further. Get a good password manager.. multi factor authentication on all emails and any accounts that offer them

Use random password generator and make sure you can't sign into your emails etc without that second factor

My main email I don't even use a password anymore it needs confirmation from an app

You can't be too careful with security

3 jabber

Visit site
Hover your mouse over the sender's email address and it will show who sent it. Usually pretty obvious then if it is real or spam.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Why not also mark it as spam?
A lot of spam senders are using one-time email addresses now. Programs that alter a single letter or number in an address to get around this.

Some of the better spam filters are good at picking them up anyway but for the most part, the senders just rotate the email.

I did a piece of analysis for a previous client (in 2021 I think it was) looking at 30 days worth of unsolicited emails in to a dummy mail box. The total was something ridiculous like 4500 emails and we spotted that emails using the same phishing technique and/or message accounted for the vast majority (e.g. from someone claiming to be NatWest Security Team, same livery and branding and message/tone used) but found that only c.2% of used email addresses were the same. Often it was a character difference, sometimes it was a completely different address on the same domain.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I use an anti virus program that also has safeguarding measures built into it, such as safe banking and browsing. I use Eset, and have done for quite a while. I have the mobile version as well, and have the safe banking activated on it, but not needed on my desktop PC.
I suspect that youre email provider has probably been hacked at some point in the past, for example Virgin media got hit a few years ago and it's fair to say the only scam emails that I do get are on that server.
The best thing I would suggest, is to get yourself a new free email account such as gmail and run it in tandem, then start to move the important emails over to that server by changing your email with those places you deal with. I would also choose a new password just for that new email account, one that is reasonable abstract but one you can remember.
You can then be worry free.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
I have Bitdefender Security which includes things like Spam protection. Some still get through but it blocks an awful lot. Even our company, which is very carful on IT Security, can't stop everything. I still get a fair number of spam emails and the occassional phishing one. A good Internet Security program is well worth the investment.