Solo = Billy

Spear

Medal Winner
Visit site
Got a group of about 12 golf buddies but none of them available for play this sun :(
Been thinking about who I can coax for my fix but cant think of anyone! Reckon I am going to play my first ever solo round! Just call me Billy! Does anyone play on their own? Was told you don't have preference/ right of way to play thru as a billy. Anyone heard of this?

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
Turn up at your club matey, you will get out with someone, this is the beauty of golf, you can head out with anyone regardless of ability as handicaps are a fairly good leveller and you are moreso playing the course than eachother.

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
I often solo and yes The Rules do say that no preference is due to a solo (never heard the term billy). Mind you no-one out there with a scrap of courtesy or sense would not pass you through if it were obvious that you would not hold them up.
That said you may get a pick-up game with another solo or join up part way round.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Since I have started having a day off in the week I have played quite often on my own. found it a good way for honing my game so, for example, if the course is quiet I will play 2 balls or repeat a shot a few times if I get it wrong or feel that the area needs work. Better to be out on your own than not out at all.

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
Used to play solo (no puns please) as a junior all the time and still do. No shame in it. It's all about the love of the game. Who needs partners to enjoy a nice day?

medwayjon

Tour Winner
www.snodhurstcarsales.co.uk
I think it is nice to have a game on ones own every now and then. I get precious little alone time so it can be great.

On the other hand however, it must be a bitch if you make a hole-in-one or play the shot of your life and nobody witnesses it. I know I would have been gutted if I had been alone when I hit my eagle, 1) someone to share the moment with and 2) because I have evidence as there would be bound to be somebody accuse me of fibbing had I been on my Jack.

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
I play at my best on my own, probably because there is no pressure. But no one wants to hear about the 100 yard pitch that it the pin or the 30 ft snaker you sunk.

Go out, have fun!

TWM

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
"Was told you don't have preference/ right of way to play thru as a billy. Anyone heard of this? "

Yes there has always been a problem with this. However the rules of golf require players to allow quicker groups to play through and a group consists of one or more players. Some clubs circumvent this with a bylaw which declares that single players have no standing on the course.
"Not a lot of people know this" :D

teetime72

Head Pro
Visit site
With no-one to watch the ball flight into the sun I tend to lose 2/3 balls playing on my own,but still enjoy the solitude every now & again.

HTL

Tour Winner
Visit site
I love playing solo, with my job I often get afternoons off when all my mates are working so I take myself off and usually knock 2 balls around.

Problems start when you start congratulating yourself on good shots and talking to yourself.

ianmc

Club Champion
Visit site
i also play solo on occasions and its a good way to practice like hitting two balls or trying a draw off a certain tee.ian mc

AliB

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Always thought it would feel weird to play alone and was surprised how little difference there is - in a sense you are always on your own in golf!
Enjoy your round and hope they let you play through.

AliB

Parmo

Tour Winner
www.roundhaygc.com
I prefer it, its better than having to make up small talk with people you have little in common with for 4 hours. Spear what time and where are you playing?

Spear

Medal Winner
Visit site
Thanks for replies - didnt think it was so popular to play solo. Just hope it doesnt rain - the best thing about having someone there is to help find your ball! Admitedly I dont talk a lot on the course when playing - my mind wonders onto other things as I walk around.
Parmo - dont know when or where as I have no plans as yet - was just gonna see the weather and take it from there. They give it to clear mid morning - fingers crossed!