Society day longest drive occurence

• Thread starter Deleted member 18121
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 18121

Which course were you playing which has that patch of rough? I don't really have an issue with that kind of hole design, but makes that hole a strange choice for long drive!

Darenth Valley (near Sevenoaks) 4th hole.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Plus 1 on this, my society have stopped longest drive comps as the same bloke always won it, we now do nearest the pin in 2 on a short par 4 (if there is one)

just means that almost everyone has a chance

My club also follows this now on Captain's Day etc. 1 x nearest the pin on a par 3 and 1 x nearest the pin in 2 on a par 4. Makes it interesting for all now.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I would have said you should win. If they say it doesn't count because you ran onto a strip of rough then they really picked a bad hole for longest drive and I'd be a bit miffed.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I think it was Kenilworth that we played a while back. The longest drive hole was a dog leg left. If you cut the corner, over the trees, it was impossible to hold the fairway. If you didnt cut the corner, you could only hit it 200 ish. They always do LD on this hole, no idea why.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
A lot of places are doing straightest drive these days as opposed to longest drive. The thinking is that it is always the same big hitters winning longest drive, hence the change to straightest drive instead.

Customer of mine won this recently with a 170 yard drive, bang down the middle 😂

jimjoachim

Head Pro
Visit site
I think it was Kenilworth that we played a while back. The longest drive hole was a dog leg left. If you cut the corner, over the trees, it was impossible to hold the fairway. If you didnt cut the corner, you could only hit it 200 ish. They always do LD on this hole, no idea why.

We had debate on this before as to whether it is longest drive or closest to the hole?? for some reason a dogleg hole was picked and the person who physically hit the ball the furthest was a lot further from the actual hole than people who shaped it round the corner.

Prize went to the longest hit off the tee in the end...

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I don't really get the debate, would you claim longest drive if it finished in a fairway bunker or ran off into a ravine or lake in front of the hole? Yes it's not much of a hazard but the club has decided that it's not fairway at that point.

Agreed it's not the best hole to have it, but down to the individual to know how to play a hole.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
When I do our ***** society golf day( Thoresby Winners Andy & Trevs Shield).
The first year we had a longest drive. Out of 70 odd lads. There was four in with a chance of winning it. The following year, we changed the hole so if the same four smashed it they were in a ditch. They went with three woods. There was 20 odd lads in with a chance of winning it. Trouble is that with Longest drive it is not fair for everyone. You have had a bum deal. But I would say the problem is wrong choice of hole to have a longest drive on. Most of the lads on our ***** day prefer a par four hole where we have the nearest in two. That way all 70 have a chance of hitting the green in two especially as it is SI 18.

Green Bay Hacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Our last is about 320 yards from the backsticks and is up hill all the way. On Captains Day about 10 years ago it was the hole for the longest drive and was won by a guy who hit it about 5 yards through the green but was still on the closely mown area. There was an objection from the runner up who was about 30 yards short of the green but it was thrown out.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
A lot of places are doing straightest drive these days as opposed to longest drive.

I always think that "straightest drive" is a bit of a misnomer and it should actually be "straightest finishing position". I saw a guy win straightest drive with a massive slice that started at least 40 yards left and came back to finish slap bang on the line in the centre of the fairway. There was certainly nothing straight about his drive.

D

Deleted member 18121

That must be a recent change on that hole as there never used to be any rough on the fairway, a new owner took over last year and the green staff don't cut so much rough from the course.

We play it every december as our Christmas get together (the food is always top notch)...... I think it was just a really poor choice of hole to have it on (bearing in mind the closest to the pin was on the 190yard 11th which only me and 1 other guy hit).

The club house and course are in great nick I thought, it really is a true all year rounder course.

D

Deleted member 23270

The issue is clearly the choice of hole. Longest drive is what it says, not 'best layup short of the trouble' or 'best judgement of the corner of the dogleg' The chosen hole should allow the longest of players the chance to let rip otherwise it isn't 'longest drive'

Regarding the OP, if the drive in question was between the edges of the fairway then I would have given the prize to that person.

Yant

Head Pro
Visit site
I'd say it is a very ill chosen hole for a longst drive contest. I'd say the win is yours unless somebody hits it further.

This. I've had it happen to me too but i was disqualified as i wasn't on the fairway. I think the 18th at The Wildernesse has this problem and both times i've played there i've run out of fairway!

It's simply the wrong choice of hole for longest drive.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
We play it every december as our Christmas get together (the food is always top notch)...... I think it was just a really poor choice of hole to have it on (bearing in mind the closest to the pin was on the 190yard 11th which only me and 1 other guy hit).

The club house and course are in great nick I thought, it really is a true all year rounder course.

We also play our society every summer there and I have played it many times, good course and ideal for a society, we always have our longest drive on the 16th and n/p on the short 7th to give everyone a better chance, agree about the food we always get a great breakfast.

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site

I remember that day Murph. I ripped a drive on that hole over the corner and ran out of fairway. it was miles down there too.