Societies.

Neeko1988

Visit site
Good Evening All.

A few of my regular pp’s and I have been talking of setting up a new society. We have a large pool of players to get involved up to around 35/40 people. Hoping to play once a month.

Looking for some pointers on things we might not have thought about or any tips on what you guys do.

One question I have is what do people use to manage society handicaps.

Thanks in advance
Chris

chico

Club Champion
Visit site
1. Cash up front.
2. If everyone doesn't have official whs set initial handicap as best you can.
3. Anyone who wins has their handicap cut by two. Anyone under par, even if they haven't win gets a cut.
4. If someone hasn't win or been close after several outing up their handicap..
5. Try and play as many different courses as possible.
6. Should be number 1 really, enjoy yourself it's supposed to be fun.

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Have someone trustworthy and can keep track of all monies in and out. It’s been a lifesaver in the society I am in, with £150k going through it in the past few years.

we don’t do handicap movements - everyone plays off their EG handicap….and when events are on, they have to submit a score. If folks don’t have an official handicap, then look at igolf, or you’ll just have to make it up as you go along.

peld

Visit site
Bumping this thread as i'm thinking of setting up a work society as our office is nearing 1000 members and being in Scotland, there are plenty of golfers.
How is it best to start off for people without WHS handicaps? Get them to estimate or just play the first outing off zero?
I remember when i was in a work society (back in about 2005/6) we got some real bargains. I think it was supplemented by the firm but is that still the case?

And to perhaps help with our cause to get £ from our work networks, any tips for getting beginners involved? (you know for the whole diversity and inclusion thing) Thinking maybe booking a driving range and a pro for an hour to make it like a group lesson? anybody done something like that?

any other general tips??

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Not used it myself but this system was mentioned in a previous thread (no idea which one) and seems to be a fair way of deciding a non WHS handicap. Just get the players to go out and score normally, then work out their handicap using System 36 and convert their score into stableford or nett scores as required.

Link: system 36

I organised a group lesson and then a 9 hole texas scramble for work previously and it went down well, just make sure you get the mix of golfers and beginners right so no-one is massively disadvantaged