So what practice ?

Macster

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
2 years ago, I got down to Single figures for the first time ever, the dizzy lows of 9.2, aged 48, and to say I was ecstatic would be an understatement.
Didn't manage to push on from there though, and finished the year at 9.5 unfortunately, and here I am another year later at 10.4 unfortunately.

So now, a Stone lighter to start the season off, I,d love to get back down to Singles again this year, so just wondered WHAT practice you all would feel was most important in my quest?

1. try and get to grips with my erratic Driving ? When it's good it's long, but I don't hit the short stuff as much as I'd like, and if I could, surely more GIR would follow, lowering my scores ?

2. Putting practice ?? Perhaps 2/3 less putts per round would get me where I need, and is where I should be practising ?

3. Short game/Wedge play practice ? Get it closer from 60yds & in and save Par more often ?

Putting it simply, I haven't got the time, will, or inclination to do all of he above, so what do all of you think, and what do YOU all work on ?

Cheers for advice.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
in order 3 and 2 then 1. maybe with the driving try and use course management and hit 3 wood on tighter holes rather than driver and spend most of your practise time between pitching/chipping and putting

Simbo

Tour Rookie
Visit site
im going to say the opposite, in know your putting and wedge game needs to be sharp and i agree, but playing of 10 it cant be to shabby. so id be more inclined to work on the driving as you yourself say it is erratic, your never going to score if your second shot is a hack out from behind a tree on every second hole, good driving inspires confidence for the rst of the hole

granters

Q-School Graduate
www.theirvinegolfclub.co.uk
I only ever practice my short game, putting first, wedges second. If i only had half an hour it'd be putting. My simple rule is that if i don't fancy the driver, i hit something else. Just hit the fairway and keep it in play. Got down to 5 with this philosophy. I think we put too much pressure on ourselves as amateurs to practice. I'd rather play 5 holes than go anywhere near a driving range. Just drop a few balls near the green if it's quiet and try something you normally wouldn't. Made a hell of a difference in the number of shots i've saved.

Ironically ,whenever i do go near the range it's full of high handicappers whacking drivers and 3 woods and clearly not learning anything. But look at your course on a summer night and i bet you the ones messing about round the greens are the single figures guys.

jplkorea83

Assistant Pro
www.konglishkitchen.com
I only ever practice my short game, putting first, wedges second. If i only had half an hour it'd be putting. My simple rule is that if i don't fancy the driver, i hit something else. Just hit the fairway and keep it in play. Got down to 5 with this philosophy. I think we put too much pressure on ourselves as amateurs to practice. I'd rather play 5 holes than go anywhere near a driving range. Just drop a few balls near the green if it's quiet and try something you normally wouldn't. Made a hell of a difference in the number of shots i've saved.

Ironically ,whenever i do go near the range it's full of high handicappers whacking drivers and 3 woods and clearly not learning anything. But look at your course on a summer night and i bet you the ones messing about round the greens are the single figures guys.

My thoughts exactly

Simbo

Tour Rookie
Visit site

thats very good advice aswell, id take it, i spend a lot of time during the winter at the range with my driver and 3 wood when the weathers crap, during the summer/season i do exactly what hes just described

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
My advice would be play to your strenghts. Also less drivers, if you can use the range time to build a safe 3 wood or long iron drive you could turn the longest par 4 into a par 5 by laying up and pitching in for an almost certain par.

I still think at the 8-12 handicap range you should be doing this on the longest par 4 on the course, I do not think going for pins with anything longer than a 5 iron should be a regular thing. In other words play to "safe misses" and get up and down rather than taking a risk, leave that to the 4 handicappers and under.

wull

Tour Rookie
Visit site
short game,from 100 yrds in and in and around the green.

practise lots of putts from within 10ft and 6ft,you want to get up and down as much as possible.

Mike_j_golf

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
In the same situation as yourself was down to 8.2 now 10.6, IO think if you don't have the time you should buy a putting mat and spend 10 mins every day in your living room hitting 6 foot putts. If your chipping is ok then i would spend the rest of the time getting the driving sorted.
Mike

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
In all honesty I'd go with Short Game then Driving.
Your putting is going to be decent - you don't get down to 9 without a decent putting ability.
Sort your driving and short game and the putting will take care of itself.
When I drive well, I score well.
Worked for me.

Macster

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thx for all of your thoughts.
Tis true, I'm a fairly decent putter so that doesn't need a huge amount of attention, perhaps just some work on long distance etc.

I think I'm gonna set my stall out to do some work with the Wedges etc, and chipping around the greens, and experiment a bit with the 4wood I carry, and even the 2 iron I still have, perhaps that might be the way to hit the short stuff, albeit with the loss if distance.

Bring on the summer !