Smash factor

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Did the fitting today, swapped a few shafts in and out and compared my own.
The smash factors for the other shafts were in the 1.4-1.45 and mine were 1.37-1.39 but what I opted for was around 1.48-1.5.
I really wasn't aware that there could be this variance in numbers - visibly the shot difference was very hard to determine a difference.
Any views ?

D

Deleted member 3432

The smash factors for the other shafts were in the 1.4-1.45 and mine were 1.37-1.39 but what I opted for was around 1.48-1.5.
I really wasn't aware that there could be this variance in numbers - visibly the shot difference was very hard to determine a difference.
Any views ?

My smash factor went up in my last driver fitting simply by going 1" shorter shaft.

Increased ball speed and more carry simply by improving strike.

Playing around with shafts can make big differences, I can't hit a decent shot with a light shaft to save my life. (I could say the same for a heavier shaft as well recently :rolleyes:)

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Shafts are effectively timing devices - the right one gets in sync with your swing to deliver the head at the correct angles and speeds to produce the optimum launch conditions.
So some shafts will and some won't, some will a little and some won't a lot!

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Any views ?

The smash factor varies between clubs and where on the face the ball strikes. An off centre 7 iron will be a lower smash factor than a perfectly centered hit. My understanding is that a perfect driver hit can register 1.51

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
The smash factor varies between clubs and where on the face the ball strikes. An off centre 7 iron will be a lower smash factor than a perfectly centered hit. My understanding is that a perfect driver hit can register 1.51
Bubba has been known to get 1.52

Rory is at about 1.48 on average which at his speed is fantastic.

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
Smash factor is basically the ballspeed divided by the club speed and you get a ratio, obviously to maximize smash factor you need to maximize the energy transfer from the club head to the ball. Basically it's all technique, I think a 1.53 smash has been seen before but generally 1.51 is the highest you'll see from a tour player

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
On a lot of launch monitors it's called efficiency. Ever heard of the comment about a good strike will go further than a hard swing? If you swing at 90mph and can get a 1.5 smash factor then you will be hitting the ball theoretically 270 yards. If you up that swing speed to 100mph, but then only get a smash factor of 1.3 then you will be hitting it 260 yards. There are a lot of variables like face angle, dynamic loft etc that goes into what effects your smash factor.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The smash factor does degrade a little bit for amateurs as they go through the irons .. perhaps it's better to say consistency goes away a bit. Hence I opted for the HMB in the 5 and 6 iron. This meant the 6 iron needed a small loft change to maintain the steps.
But all of this conversation has set me thinking I really need to work on my driver smash factor.
The pro and I discussed the shaft options quite in depth and the DNA system highlighted 3 shafts that were not on my radar. I tried them and they were okay but as I am of the age where things start to tail off a bit, it was thought better to look long term. So instead of going for the stiff heavy shafts that were suggested by the DNA system, I dropped down to regular and looked at the graphite shafts.
It was this walk that shows the smash factor changing and becoming more optimal. It also confirmed that on the stiff stuff, I had a tendency to chase it and try an power through the shaft which negatively impacted my efficiency. The best shafts were the ones that I could just swing comfortably.
Now I need to generate that efficiency in my driver!

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
But all of this conversation has set me thinking I really need to work on my driver smash factor.
!

I got a lesson on the effect of smash factor several years ago from a Taylormade clubfitter. I had an X-stiff low launch low spin shaft on my R11s, that when I caught it went for miles. I was advised to my shock, that I should be hitting a stiff shaft and slow down my swing speed and concentrate on the strike. I listened to this advice and after an hour in a fitting bay I increased my average smash factor and I was now averaging further than with the new driver than my old one. Ok the longest shot still went to my old driver by quite a few yards, but the difference between the longest and shortest shots was about 40 yards. With the new driver it was within 20 yards and the dispersal was tighter.

I now drive the ball the best I have in 30 years. Gone are the days when I can't find a fairway to save my life.

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
It is worth noting that as loft increases, the potential for maximizing energy transfer decreases, so the smash factor potential is lower. I think most tour pro's with a 6 or 7 iron are around 1.36 but can depend on the player and how much they deloft the club/angle of attack etc. You will only see figures around 1.5 with driver