Smart Motorways!

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Re lane hogging

I remember a case a few years ago when somebody was prosecuted for causing an obstruction when they drove continuously at 70 MPH in the outside lane.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
What do you do if you break down or have a puncture and the refuge area is not in sight or you are in the outer lanes?

The idea is that, as every yard (maybe not literally but practically) of the motorway is monitored by CCTV 24hrs/day 365days/year - any breakdown or incident is spotted immediately and the overhead gantry displays immediately flash up warning information and tell traffic to slow down and move lanes accordingly.

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
Clench your buttocks tight and hope for the best...
But apart from that, in the absence of the hard shoulder and in the presence of heavy lorries, do you get out of your vehicle and have a 50% chance of survival or stay in your vehicle and have maybe a 25% chance.
If you get hit it won't matter much what speed the vehicle behind is doing.
Like golf, you will have to play the percentages.

D

Deleted member 18588

Not for me. A nightmare. The screens constantly change. Some don't even work on the same gantry.
Highways England have admitted that smart motorways are too confusing for drivers.
Accidents all the time and fatalities.
This week there was a 90 minute hold up on the smart section of the M42.
Speed cameras are partly hidden on the side of the gantries.
I've been done for speeding there at 70 mph one evening when the motorway was actually clear.
The technology is unreliable.

I presume you didn't see the speed camera warning signs on the majority of gantrys.

As for accidents and fatalities, would you like to share the statistics proving these are more frequent on "smart" motorways.

In any event I am surprised that you even use motorways and certainly not at high speeds in view of your "guardian of the environment" status.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
I think the underlined bit is the only relevant part. Has anyone ever heard of anyone ever being prosecuted for "undertaking"? Or even driving without due care and attention due to undertaking? Genuine question as i have not.
I'd look at the bottom line that says "may be prosecuted for careless driving". It's an argument you'd have to put in your claim if you did get done for overtaking on the left.

To be honest, they said they were going to prosecute middle lane hoggers for careless driving and you don't really hear of that any more either.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Not for me. A nightmare. The screens constantly change. Some don't even work on the same gantry.
Highways England have admitted that smart motorways are too confusing for drivers.
Accidents all the time and fatalities.
This week there was a 90 minute hold up on the smart section of the M42.
Speed cameras are partly hidden on the side of the gantries.
I've been done for speeding there at 70 mph one evening when the motorway was actually clear.
The technology is unreliable.

And so has my Mrs. And on the SMART motorway awareness course she went on it was explained why, and two reasons she mentioned are that where a motorway is through a built up area and close to housing, speed will be slowed during the night to cut down road and 'engine/exhaust' noise; and also it is often the case they want to keep everyone at a slower speed when there are motorway maintenance workers on the road ahead. Just get everyone slow nice and early.

TBH - I have driven on many of the SMART M'ways and in general I have no issues. In many ways it's easy for me as I am a diligent adherent to temporary and average speed limits (though I do exceed 70mph on motorways but rarely much over 80)

I also refuse to undertake - even if I am permitted as other posts suggest I might be - as I just don't trust the other driver not to come in without looking...and I suspect that were there a collision I would be held as being at fault. It bugs - but I just don't.

Last edited:

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
If the variable limit on the M25 is there to reduce congestion, and allow trafgic to flow, albeit slowly, their algorithm is wrong, and it not only does not work, but is complete rubbish. Anyone who drives round it regularly will know this. If they really wanted this to work, a 30 limit should be applied every day, 05.00 to 23.30, and then dial it down from there.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
If the variable limit on the M25 is there to reduce congestion, and allow trafgic to flow, albeit slowly, their algorithm is wrong, and it not only does not work, but is complete rubbish. Anyone who drives round it regularly will know this. If they really wanted this to work, a 30 limit should be applied every day, 05.00 to 23.30, and then dial it down from there.

Maybe that's the answer.

Pretty elementary wave modelling shows how traffic flows work, and the huge immediate and legacy impacts of sudden bunching when fast traffic has to suddenly slow.

In my thinking this is why we get slow traffic in the other direction to a motorway accident. It's not folk slowing to gawp. Fast traffic adjacent to and immediately approaching an accident just happened on other side of road slows down very rapidly - shock at what they've just seen and suddenly wanting to take greater care. And that rapid slowing causes traffic slowing to build and propagate in a wave motion back down the carriageway from that point. And so we get long queues building up very quickly as fast traffic slowing rapidly hits the back of the queue - for no reason other than the accident the other side of the motorway.

If traffic is gong slower at a steady speed that sudden very rapid slow-down doesn't happen in the same way as traffic slows together - and is less likely to bunch and stop.

Last edited:

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
But apart from that, in the absence of the hard shoulder and in the presence of heavy lorries, do you get out of your vehicle and have a 50% chance of survival or stay in your vehicle and have maybe a 25% chance.
If you get hit it won't matter much what speed the vehicle behind is doing.
Like golf, you will have to play the percentages.

You get out of your vehicle, over the barrier and once you’ve phoned the motorway control from the motorway phone, NOT YOUR MOBILE, get as far away from the carriageway as possible.

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
You get out of your vehicle, over the barrier and once you’ve phoned the motorway control from the motorway phone, NOT YOUR MOBILE, get as far away from the carriageway as possible.

Intrigued about the "motorway phone" . How frequent are they and why not use your own mobile.
I appreciate that if you do use a motorway phone, the location of incident is not likely to be mistaken. But how far apart are they?
You clearly are giving best advice ( your job), I'm just concerned how I and/or my wife would follow it if long distance is involved😊

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
The M20 is being turned into Smart motorway and its caused havoc for absolutely ages and now the government say it could be the last one as motorists dont know how to use them - you couldn't make it up!

I know! the M20 is a nightmare - just imagine what it'll be like during operation stack!

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I know! the M20 is a nightmare - just imagine what it'll be like during operation stack!

Awful, as I can testify. They are starting Operation Brock next week ready for a No Deal Brexit even though it's not going to happen 🤔🤔

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Intrigued about the "motorway phone" . How frequent are they and why not use your own mobile.
I appreciate that if you do use a motorway phone, the location of incident is not likely to be mistaken. But how far apart are they?
You clearly are giving best advice ( your job), I'm just concerned how I and/or my wife would follow it if long distance is involved😊
I believe they're 1km apart - so you're never more than 500m ( a par 5) away from one.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site

You’ve answered your own question; location. M4 control used to cover the M25/M4 junction. The percentage of calls that came in on motorway phones, the location of which we knew, from callers who would swear blind they were on the opposite carriageway to the one the phone was on, or even the wrong motorway was quite frightening. It’s a bit of an issue when trying to respond promptly if you’re sent to the wrong motorway. 😳

If I remember correctly, it should never be more than half a mile, as the phones were a mile apart and the mile markers, which were every tenth of a mile, had an arrow on them with a logo of a telephone handset indicating the direction to the nearest one.

Using a mobile and quoting a mile marker would be an alternative if you can’t get to the motorway phone, but as most people aren’t aware of the mile marker system it was always easier to advise people to use the motorway phone. 👍

Golfmmad

Tour Winner
Visit site
It not that the motorways are now smart, it's that motorists are still thick when using motorways or any highway that has more than one lane. Going to smart/4 lanes just gives blinkered drivers another lane to hog. The problem is in this country is Starting from left to right, inside lane is slowest going out to the fastest. It just does not work. Undertaking should be legalised.
Trouble is as well in this country, speed limit on motorways. Lorrys do what 56mph Max. Maximum is 70 mph. Really. Ave seen cars averaging 80 mph and the rest. Yet when driving in Oz the speed limit Max is 110 kph. And nearly everyone drives at that speed or close to 100 kph. It is strange seeing the same cars alongside you for miles and miles. Yet it works.

The mindset in Oz is obviously different to here in the UK. Many motorists here just will not adhere to speed limits and are so impatient. And therin lies the problem, getting people to SLOW DOWN!
Take today for instance: Driving on the M23 50mph limit section, its pouring down with rain, visibility very poor due to spray.I'm driving at 50 and the guy behind is almost in my boot, he suddenly shoots inside at breakneck speed to get in front of me. It was madness, especially as he had to slow down again because of volume of traffic. Why cant people just accept the speed limit and cruise through it in a safe way. There's a reason why the limit is in place - narrow lanes and to protect the workforce.
I often hear of people complaining about these type of road works on Motorways when there's been an accident. It's not the fault of there being a speed limit, but that of the careless/impatient motorist.

TRAFFIC NEEDS TO SLOW DOWN!