Small tweak has added 25 yards to my driver

golfbluecustard

Head Pro
Visit site

Stumbled across this on YouTube this week and finally got to try it at the range this morning

Felt a little bit awkward initially but four of five shots in and was hitting the driver straighter and longer

I'm not a long bitter but went from my usual 220 ish to just over 257 without swinging any faster

The range isn't the course I know, range balls aren't the usual balls i play with and the distances are all per top tracer but I'll take the positives where I can and it put a huge smile on my face on a wet and dreary day

GBC

Golfnut1957

Visit site
We haven't been anywhere near our back tees all winter and with the course closed yesterday I took the dog out and visited some of them.

Standing there looking at what is to come in a couple of months I couldn't help but think that I'll be needing 25+ more yards, or I'll be hitting some low numbered clubs for second shots.

Of course once winter is banished those extra yards usually turn up without changing anything, but I am getting older.

phils226

Medal Winner
Visit site
Interesting if odd looking. It seems like the set up - to some degree - is mimicking an impact position enforcing more hip drive. Also the right hand underneath with the ball forward lmeans it's a strong grip promoting an upwards hit. All should help with distance

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Like so many golf instructional vids its a bit of a tough watch, jump to 8;20 for the 'meat'
I'll prob give it a try on the range this week (although I might've missed some key info because I only carried on watching up to 9;20 ) :oops:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Interesting. When they claim to add 20+ yards it always sounds like snake oil to me, and hard to believe. I found it interesting that he says this can apply to all shots as well as driver - I feel like this set-up would look and feel a bit weird with a mid iron and ball in the middle of the stance, but who knows. Maybe it's not as pronounced then.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Interesting. When they claim to add 20+ yards it always sounds like snake oil to me, and hard to believe. I found it interesting that he says this can apply to all shots as well as driver - I feel like this set-up would look and feel a bit weird with a mid iron and ball in the middle of the stance, but who knows. Maybe it's not as pronounced then.

There are huge gains to be had if there is a big inefficiency in your swing. That's why the old adage hit it better, not harder, works wonders for most players, as there is more to be gained from just hitting the middle of the club with better launch numbers (spin, angles etc) than clubhead speed.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
There are huge gains to be had if there is a big inefficiency in your swing. That's why the old adage hit it better, not harder, works wonders for most players, as there is more to be gained from just hitting the middle of the club with better launch numbers (spin, angles etc) than clubhead speed.
I don't disagree with any of that. But I also think if someone does gain 25 yards then something must have been very wrong beforehand. It's similar to what I said on the shortened driver shaft thread, but I don't think there's any 'simple tweak' out there that would gain me 25 yards. Unless that tweak is steroids. :ROFLMAO:

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I don't disagree with any of that. But I also think if someone does gain 25 yards then something must have been very wrong beforehand. It's similar to what I said on the shortened driver shaft thread, but I don't think there's any 'simple tweak' out there that would gain me 25 yards. Unless that tweak is steroids. :ROFLMAO:

I can't comment on your swing obviously, but you can get a good idea based on your clubhead speed and comparing with the distance available with optimum launch conditions. In general, I think there are decent gains to be had by most players, how easy it is to implement the technical change is a different question, and I'm with you that these "this one single thing" type tips tend not to deliver.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I can't comment on your swing obviously, but you can get a good idea based on your clubhead speed and comparing with the distance available with optimum launch conditions. In general, I think there are decent gains to be had by most players, how easy it is to implement the technical change is a different question, and I'm with you that these "this one single thing" type tips tend not to deliver.
Yeah, I have about 85mph swing speed and a short backswing, tend to hit it fairly consistently (thanks to the short backswing) and get it out around 230. I think it'd take more than just a small tweak to see me hitting it 255 on average. Maybe some sustained speed training or something like that! I might try this set-up from the video next time I'm doing at TopGolf with the missus and see what happens though. :D

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yeah, I have about 85mph swing speed and a short backswing, tend to hit it fairly consistently (thanks to the short backswing) and get it out around 230. I think it'd take more than just a small tweak to see me hitting it 255 on average. Maybe some sustained speed training or something like that! I might try this set-up from the video next time I'm doing at TopGolf with the missus and see what happens though. :D

Based on my rough guide calc of 2.5 - 2.7x club head speed, you're ok!

Albo

Visit site
Based on my rough guide calc of 2.5 - 2.7x club head speed, you're ok!
This is where I really struggle, I feel like i'm miles behind where I should be with driver. Swing speed is 90-95 range generally so lets settle on 92 x 2.6should see me hitting it out to 240. But I struggle to carry 220, in fact looking at some stats from a LM earlier in the year swing speed average was 92.17 and average carry was 210.61

Springveldt

Visit site
This is where I really struggle, I feel like i'm miles behind where I should be with driver. Swing speed is 90-95 range generally so lets settle on 92 x 2.6should see me hitting it out to 240. But I struggle to carry 220, in fact looking at some stats from a LM earlier in the year swing speed average was 92.17 and average carry was 210.61
Must be total not carry. To carry 240 you need to be swinging close to 100mph.