Smack or not?

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
The trouble is, your a reasonable human being and have limits. The world or even just the country has many people who are not reasonable and do not give them self a remit.

I was caned and slipper`d at school... that's violence in my opinion.

To answer your questions directly on should it be made illegal.. I really do not know. Should we protect those children who`s parents take things too far, or educate them... Its genuinely an interesting and difficult topic.

Cane and slipper was definitely OTT. I had it occasionally, twice, and definitely don't respect the teachers who used it when they could have reasoned with an adolescent. Oh, and on one of those occasions it wasn't even me - totally crap teacher who appeared to relish using the cane indiscriminately.

Parents who need to use physical discipline beyond the age a kid can reason sensibly need a parenting skills course, if its not too late. And to be fair, most parents wing parenting based on their own experiences growing up and a few comic manuals.

Bringing in a law for this won't work, as per persistent drink drivers. But it will fill the Care Homes with kids who've been removed from half decent parents.

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
Cane and slipper was definitely OTT. I had it occasionally, twice, and definitely don't respect the teachers who used it when they could have reasoned with an adolescent. Oh, and on one of those occasions it wasn't even me - totally crap teacher who appeared to relish using the cane indiscriminately.

Parents who need to use physical discipline beyond the age a kid can reason sensibly need a parenting skills course, if its not too late. And to be fair, most parents wing parenting based on their own experiences growing up and a few comic manuals.

Bringing in a law for this won't work, as per persistent drink drivers. But it will fill the Care Homes with kids who've been removed from half decent parents.

I suppose it depends what the law is trying to do. No law will or does prevent any crime being committed. But since 1979 there has been a 6 fold decrease in the number of deaths by drink driving, plus it much less socially accepted. Yes of course it has not stopped the hard core drink driver, much as this proposal will not stop the hard core child beaters. But it may well make smacking/hitting a child less sociably acceptable and reduce the number of kids that are being hit. Which can not be a bad thing can it?

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
I suppose it depends what the law is trying to do. No law will or does prevent any crime being committed. But since 1979 there has been a 6 fold decrease in the number of deaths by drink driving, plus it much less socially accepted. Yes of course it has not stopped the hard core drink driver, much as this proposal will not stop the hard core child beaters. But it may well make smacking/hitting a child less sociably acceptable and reduce the number of kids that are being hit. Which can not be a bad thing can it?

I believe that there is already a law that covers smacking a child, that covers actual physical harm to the child where the result of the smack leads to bruising, swelling, scratches etc...

What the United Nations want is a complete ban.

Anyone who smacks a child and leaves a mark could be punished if reported under the current law, for common assault, GBH or ABH

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I suppose it depends what the law is trying to do. No law will or does prevent any crime being committed. But since 1979 there has been a 6 fold decrease in the number of deaths by drink driving, plus it much less socially accepted.

Can you point those statistics out?

When quoting decreases, stating decrease factor on these sort of stats is rarely valid - though stating percentage decrease is! Slightly different when talking about the likes of 'success rates' for things like re-offending or cancer treatments - where it's actually the marginal 'stat' that is the important one.

Last edited:

cleanstrike

Assistant Pro
Visit site
If my mam told me to do something I should be doing or to stop doing something I shouldn't be doing then I would do what she said because I knew darn well what I'd get if I didn't. This is the way it should be ... ad infinitum.

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
I don't smack my kids, I never will. They make me angry, and at times I've felt like it, but I haven't.

I'd never stand in judgement over someone that did, but how do you stop a smack becoming something more sinister except with legislation.

I'm totally against anyone else, teacher, copper etc having the power to do it also.
My kids aren't angels but they know right from wrong without the threat of physical discipline.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Just remembered; the local bobby gave me a clip for being in school uniform and having my shirt tail out. I am traumatised, hate going out and I'm terrified of the Police. There must be a claim in it...

Hacker Khan

Visit site

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
As with Hovis, I got the occasional smack as a child, but I've not once raised my fists in anger, never had a fight in 46yrs on this planet.

To a degree it is all semantics regarding the words violence, violent, smacking, people will spin them to however they see necessary to make their point. The point in question is whether smacking a child should be illegal, but there is more to it than that, smacking a child to shock them out of an action may be necessary, but the action of smacking must not leave a mark on the child, if it does then it becomes a violent act.

Leaving you handprint on a child's leg is wrong, a parent that does that needs to take a look in the mirror, that is abuse.

The purpose of smacking a child is not to harm or maim, leave a mark, but to protect, to induce a shock that breaks a repeated pattern, to stop them from doing something that may harm them if they continued.

Totally agree.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
Either and remember it's to be done in such a way to stun or shock the other into compliance

What do you think would be the better outcome of this.

You get caught steeling a car in the UK . You get caught and punished in the way of an afternoon in prison plus court fee's.

You move to spain and the police catch you steeling a car. They dont arrest you they just kick the living daylights out of you. In what country would you re offend in??

I'd go to prison every day. When you go to spain you don't mess with the "powlice" because them crazy buggers mean business.

Last edited:

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Smacking was/is a small piece of what being a parent was/is all about. Along with teaching manners, right and wrong. I don't know of a friend who smacked there children and gained any satisfaction from it.
when we adopted our youngest, we were asked by the birth mother if we would smack our adoptive daughter. The fact that her birth daughter spent her first Christmas and new year in hospital because she had been physically beaten up within two weeks of being born was lost on her. I did feel like smacking someone at that point though.
There is a marked difference between a smack and physical violence. For the record our social worker said tell the Birth mother that "she would be treated exactly the same way as our other two kids". Read into that what you like.
not to sure I am happy with an European court or any court telling me what I can and cannot do to bring up my kids and I don't just mean smacking. Yup I did on occasions smack my kids, but as I get older the thought of smacking my grandson fills me with dread. Maybe being on the verge of being a fossil makes you look at things in a different way.

Hacker Khan

Visit site
What do you think would be the better outcome of this.

You get caught steeling a car in the UK . You get caught and punished in the way of an afternoon in prison plus court fee's.

You move to spain and the police catch you steeling a car. They dont arrest you they just kick the living daylights out of you. In what country would you re offend in??

I'd go to prison every day. When you go to spain you don't mess with the "powlice" because them crazy buggers mean business.

Are any of those examples actual facts or just exaggerations based on hearsay to back up a point of view?

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
Are any of those examples actual facts or just exaggerations based on hearsay to back up a point of view?

A few years back bbc followed a group of ex offenders to see how they dealt with rehabilitation. This guy moved to spain and said "i cant brake the law here because they'll kill me before they'll fill in the paper work"

Funny story and at the extreme end but what i got from that is, if the consequences out weigh the action then most people think twice

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
A few years back bbc followed a group of ex offenders to see how they dealt with rehabilitation. This guy moved to spain and said "i cant brake the law here because they'll kill me before they'll fill in the paper work"

Funny story and at the extreme end but what i got from that is, if the consequences out weigh the action then most people think twice

Thing is hovis, I have always said that the punishment should be part of the deterrent. On that basis does smacking a child become an acceptable deterrent ?