Slow play, spitting AND a belly putter!!

SirSliceAlot

Club Champion
Visit site
Is Keegan Bradley now going to take the mantle of golfs most irritating player?
I personally thought he was an absolute disgrace this weekend, spitting all over the course the way he did was just disgusting for starters and I do hope someone has a word in his ear about it.
However, I found his ridiculously slow play more annoying, what the hell is he doing fidgeting and farting about taking so long to line a shot up (his mongy left eye putting set up routine almost had me laughing though), its bad for the game in general and can't be good for his mental state can it? This sort of thing needs stamping out of the professional game and I hope he is pulled up on it. It was nice to hear the Sky Sports team giving him some stick in the studio.
The fact that he uses a belly putter is just the icing on the cake!

What are your thoughts on this odious creature?

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
Can't stand the bloke. Didn't really notice it until last night to be honest and although the spitting is pretty gross, I can't get too worked up about it.

But his pre-shot routine is absolutely ridiculous and the way he gives his putt the one-eyed stare down is beyond weird. I hope he fades into obscurity sooner rather than later so I don't have to watch much more coverage of him.

T

thecraw

Can't stand the bloke. Didn't really notice it until last night to be honest and although the spitting is pretty gross, I can't get too worked up about it.

But his pre-shot routine is absolutely ridiculous and the way he gives his putt the one-eyed stare down is beyond weird. I hope he fades into obscurity sooner rather than later so I don't have to watch much more coverage of him.

Far too good a player to fade into obscurity in my opinion.

I agree spitting is not the nicest habbit however he's not alone. Mr Woods and the spoiled Spaniard are both well known Llamas!

DaveyG

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
The eye thing is definitely weird but doesn't slow things down too much as everyone wants to check their putt but totally agree spitting isn't a place for the course and im of a similar age... (26 not sure how old he is)

His pre shot routine looks like someone is messing around with Sky plus live pause the way he moves back and forth.

jammag

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Spitting is a horrible habit but theres a lot worse things could be done, its not like hes squatting down and doing a dump on the middle of the 9th fairway is it. The amount of animals that pee and poop everywhere I am sure his spit isnt doing any harm. Plus how can you fine someone if its legal? It isnt nice to watch but it was only because he was in contention all yesterday that you see him spit so often, if he was midfield you wouldnt have noticed him and there would be no thread like this. I am sure theres plenty of other pros who do it unfortunately but jut because they havent been seen on tv doing it they are still liked.

The slow play issue how ever is a bit of a joke. I am sure Haas was in the group in front of them and he finished 30 minutes before they did. The only way would be to give them a 1 shot penalty if they are seen to be consistantly doing it through out the round. It is ridiculous his pre shot routine but you know full well that has probably been drilled into him from a young age and he isnt hitting a shot until he feels comfortable and thats why he was won twice already in just over a year on tour. The putting routine I am sure the commentators were saying you should look with your dominate eye but he seems to exaggerate it a lot more.

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
Far too good a player to fade into obscurity in my opinion.

I agree spitting is not the nicest habbit however he's not alone. Mr Woods and the spoiled Spaniard are both well known Llamas!

Oh, I agree. Which is a shame. I really can't take much more of his pre-shot routine! Not sure why I hadn't noticed it before.

BeachGolfer

Head Pro
Visit site
Hardly an ideal role model for the game. Managed to pull his final gob on 13th almost as much as he pulled his eventual (yawn) wedge.

Hopefully another Wanamaker one-trick-pony as far as the Majors go.

StrangelyBrown

Tour Winner
Visit site
Oh, I agree. Which is a shame. I really can't take much more of his pre-shot routine! Not sure why I hadn't noticed it before.

I only really watched him when he won the US PGA and I thought it was due to nerves. To me it looks like he can't make his mind up what to do and if he didn't already use a belly putter he'd be slipping down the ranking with the yips. If he doesn't get it sorted he might end up doing an Ian Baker Finch and having a brain melt.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I only really watched him when he won the US PGA and I thought it was due to nerves. To me it looks like he can't make his mind up what to do and if he didn't already use a belly putter he'd be slipping down the ranking with the yips. If he doesn't get it sorted he might end up doing an Ian Baker Finch and having a brain melt.

i think yous need to cut the guy some slack. hes a good player and very nearly won again yesterday. some balls on him to roll in that put on 18 after big phil had sunk that monster! As far as spitting goes, its much more accepted in america. you will see baseball pitchers gobbing all over the shop etc. we cultured brits may not like it but country americans couldnt care less. his pre-shot r is OTT. as someone on sky said last night. he could just start the process a bit earlier while someone else is hitting.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
His pre shot rountine is farcical. Stop, start, stop start, shall I , shan't I. Just have a practice swish and stand up to it and hit it. Can you really condone gobbing on the putting green. Its not like its a tough physical work out and to me it almost looked pre-meditated on every shot and almost part of the pre-shot routine. Nasty to watch and doesn't do the image of the game one iota of good even if spitting is more acceptable (although why should it be) in the US

papyt

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
i don't think his spitting is very nice but i don't think most people realise that he eats sunflower seeds as he plays so could it be a husk of seed he is spitting out? as for his slow play why not introduce a penalty for such antics say a 1 shot penalty per hole if you go over the clock

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
they said on sky last night, that under the current pga tour commissioner not one single player has been penalised for slow play - sadly I dont think he understands the knock on effect it is having to the amateur game

wull

Tour Rookie
Visit site
the reason you see him spitting so much is not the fact he was in contention but it's the moment and time that he does it.

most players that spit like dj and jason dufner don't do it when doing their pre-shot routine,they tend to do it after they have played and the club is away in the bag...usually 30 secs to a minute after playing.so we don't see them doing it as much as they do it.

this is a typical scenario for dj,he holes out then walks over to his caddie,standing off the side of the green and he'll turn to the side away from the green and spit.

but last night keegan was doing it 3-5 times whilst walking back and forward doing that silly hokey cokey dance,and on a few occasions nearly grogged on himself!!!!it barely missed his chest so it must of been close to his feet.

now i watched a lot of golf last season and he never did this and off the top of my head i don't think i ever seen him spit.so what its all about i do not know.