Slope...... the range finder type that is

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I have a range finder with slope on it, its illegal to use in comps and my place has maybe 2 holes that it makes any difference (13 and 14) so only ever used the slope plate once.

Was playing the new Torvean (Kings) last night and thought i would give it a try, what a difference, almost every hole had some sort of difference on slope, some at least 2 or more clubs.

Anyone else use a Slope Range finder ?

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Banned
Visit site
I use the slope option on my range finder all the time.

I was out the other week with my son in law and his GPS said 140 to the front but range finder had it at closer to 160 with the adjustment.

admittedly there is still no guarantee that I'll hit the right distance but it certainly helps

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Do you think it helps you judge the distance of a slope better going forward?

For example, If i used it at my course during a practice round and learnt that a certain slope adds 1 club. Could you go to another course in a competition and easily judge that it is a 1 club hill or more?

Same with downhill, i am terrible at judging downhill shots

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Do you think it helps you judge the distance of a slope better going forward?

For example, If i used it at my course during a practice round and learnt that a certain slope adds 1 club. Could you go to another course in a competition and easily judge that it is a 1 club hill or more?

Same with downhill, i am terrible at judging downhill shots
TBH, i hardly ever drop down on downhill, some yesterday were at least a club, first one i didn't and ended up way though the back, next dropped down a club and perfect.

As i say its really the first time i have used it on more than one hole, Nairn only has the 13th which is 20 yards from anywhere short on the slot bunker inside that it makes less difference i think

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
TBH, i hardly ever drop down on downhill, some yesterday were at least a club, first one i didn't and ended up way though the back, next dropped down a club and perfect.

As i say its really the first time i have used it on more than one hole, Nairn only has the 13th which is 20 yards from anywhere short on the slot bunker inside that it makes less difference i think
We have quite a few elevation changes, 1, 2, 3, 4, 9, 10, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 & 18 :ROFLMAO:. Although some are a lot more than others. Last season was my first season at the club and our 3rd does not look like it is much down hill yet for the first number of comps i kept flying the green or landing it on the back and it hopping over. Took me a while to realise i needed to drop 2 clubs. Completely messed with my head.

Our 16th is at least 2 clubs up hill and find it also a very hard green to hit, especially to the front of it.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
It's a fact that most are unable to accurately convert their raw distances for both elevation and wind/air conditions.

And that's before consideration of trajectory and ground conditions, with their impact on landing and subsequent travel....

Mind you, if you add in the variation in impact conditions on every swing maybe it's not surprising that from time to time things come together in terms of the result 😂

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
Is it really needed though? Can't you usually see if it's up or down hill to the hole and go up/down a club?

But how do you know how much up or downhill it is? I've been very surprised with some of the numbers at my club, holes that a lot of members perceive to be quite uphill or downhill aren't anywhere near as severe in terms of the yardage differences as you'd expect. Been a really good learning tool having a Bushnell with slope, feel I know my home course so much better having used it there in non-competition rounds.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
But how do you know how much up or downhill it is? I've been very surprised with some of the numbers at my club, holes that a lot of members perceive to be quite uphill or downhill aren't anywhere near as severe in terms of the yardage differences as you'd expect. Been a really good learning tool having a Bushnell with slope, feel I know my home course so much better having used it there in non-competition rounds.
You look at it? With your eyes?

I get it, it obviously makes it easier by quantifying it but I think there is such a thing as too much help. Estimating yardage can be difficult, but for a slope you've only got to look and think "slight hill - one club difference - steep hill - two clubs" haven't you? Maybe it's just me, like a lot of things this might be something that gives a higher level of preciseness than I would need. :LOL:

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
Is it really needed though? Can't you usually see if it's up or down hill to the hole and go up/down a club?

I'd be intrested to try one out, but I am happy enough with my basic laser though and agree that the raw distance is enough for me as there are plenty of other factors to consider in club selction, wind, temp, your won typical ball flight etc.

id imagine the guy who hits a real moon balls vs the low rocket will see big variations too, as anyone who has stood by a green will see alot of a balls flight is on the way down too

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
It can be a real eye opener at the start.

I've take my slope function off now for the season. May stick it back in again over winter. Certainly handy on away days.

It gives you that extra bit of confidence when in between clubs. Settles the mind on one or the other and allows you to swing freely.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
It can be a real eye opener at the start.

I've take my slope function off now for the season. May stick it back in again over winter. Certainly handy on away days.

It gives you that extra bit of confidence when in between clubs. Settles the mind on one or the other and allows you to swing freely.

Mine has the red (slope) black (non) and after the one round on my home course where i say 2 yards on the 5th and 20 on the 13th, its not been back on it since. The new course in Inverness has a fair few changes in elevation so thought i'd give it a try, def helped yesterday. the first hole i keep hitting 9 iron as the laser was giving me that distance, took that club and was yet again through the back looked again with the slope and saw it was PW with the downhill.

as you say a real eye opener, pretty much saved half a dozen shots yesterday

Norrin Radd

Tour Winner
Visit site
Who is going to know if it's on or not other than the player using it ?

so the player uses it and tells nobody he is doing so, BLOODY CHEAT .I hope that whoever that player is feels happy that he is breaking a golf rule.and can live with himself doing so. I certainly wouldnt be very happy finding out that I had played with someone who knew they were cheating me and all others in a comp.