Slicing drives off tee, able to hit straight off fairway

ryan60600

Visit site
I use my 3 wood for all drives because I find it easier to hit that my driver. I'm very consistent with hitting my 3 wood off the fairway, it goes straight and decent distance.
However when teeing off, I commonly slice it to the right.
Previously I used to have the ball halfway higher than the tee, I've started lowering my tee so the club is about half way above the ball and I can now get some drives that go straight, but was just wondering if anyone knows what this could mean in the context of my swing e.g the reason why lowering my tee is making my shots go straighter, and why I can hit it straighter off the fairway?

Thank you

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
You are slicing the ball because ultimately your club is cutting across the ball from out to in... i.e. a right to left club path, imparts spin on the ball that moves it left to right in the air.

It's possible that equipment could help or aid you, but more likely a lesson on how best to deliver a straighter club path.

Tiger man

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Probably face control. If they are starting centre to right and going further right the swing path may be ok but face way open at impact. Try your best at the range to close the face, even if you hit some big left's. Then it's a matter of finding the middle ground.

D

Deleted member 23344

I tried everything to avoid slicing off the tee ... adjustable driver with the face set closed, weights in the heel, but with limited effect. In the end, I had lessons with a pro. After just one lesson, I was driving straight with a neutrally adjusted driver. It was a problem with my swing. I would always recommend a lesson to address a slice off the tee.

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Would've thought teeing it higher, not lower, would help reduce the slice :unsure:

One thing that's helped me in the past is to visualise hitting up on the ball slightly, starting it out to the right and drawing it back as if you were curling a free kick into the top corner!

Good luck with it!

Wolf

Visit site
Definetly look at the lesson route it could be a a swing issue or something in your setup. I started playing again after a long lay off in November and couldn't find a fairway missed everything right or sliced right. Have gone back to basics and found it's my grip that caused the problem it was causing me to get in an unnatural for me position at the top which then caused me to come across the ball on the way down. Since changing that back to a more Neutral grip normal service has resumed and I now know what a fairway looks like again but it is taking time to groove the new grip so whatever you find the cause make sure you're practising the correction regularly to grain it in

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If you hit straight off the deck and slice off the tee with the same club it could be simply trying to hit the ball to hard when it is on a tee and hitting with a more controlled swing when it is on the deck.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If you hit straight off the deck and slice off the tee with the same club it could be simply trying to hit the ball to hard when it is on a tee and hitting with a more controlled swing when it is on the deck.
This off the tee it’s all about distance but off the deck it’s about the strike .
Just tee it like a good lie on the fairway.
Swinging to fast will make the shaft leave the head behind slightly and this can open the face .
So think Tempo on the tee.

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
First off you have to figure out whether it's club path or club face that's causing the slice. Does it start left of target and slice, does it start right and slice ? My guess at your problem would be you have a steep angle of attack with driver, also you probable add loft through left wrist/arm break down and that your plane is too upright to consistently hit straightish shots with driver. You have to figure out the cause though before you can figure out a fix

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I'll bet that when you're driving off the Tee you are trying to hit it that bit harder and that leads to more of an arms lead action causing you to come 'over the top' so impact is very slightly on an 'out to in' path.

If you want to hit seven bells out the ball you'll need to concentrate on pulling down with the right arm to try and hit it slightly on a 'in to out' path. Don't over do it

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
Most people with steep attack angles find it easier to hit drives with lower tees as they find it easier to hit the middle of the face, they would sky it if they had a high tee. Impossible really to say without seeing, but go for a lesson