Sir Stirling Moss RIP

Norrin Radd

Tour Winner
Visit site
I remember seeing a documentary about him and it showed his house .now this was I'm sure late seventies poss early eighties ,but his house was fully automated ,curtains ,lights and all other manner of electrical gadgets.
Rip Stirling

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Sad loss.

It is such a shame that there will be no F1 events in the near future where they probably would have held some sort of memorial.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
RIP Stirling.

The below is not my recollection, but will ring a few bells with the older generation & may raise a small smile on what has been a pretty awful Sunday;

Sir Stirling Moss departs, as some have said maybe one lap to many, a hero no doubt in the days of black and white where being a racing driver, was very much a risky business. Lucky to meet him several times with him being the public image of a company I worked for back in the 80's, certainly a person from an era before my hero's though no doubt highly skilled. Just one funny moment, I was tasked to drive him to a local train station after a company function, he was quiet sitting in the back of the Sierra no doubt mulling over the occasion and keen to be getting home, I was to my own error speeding, not excessive but say enough to be pulled by the police, so apologising for my stupidity to my special passenger, I wound the window down to said officer, who first comment was " Who do you think you are Stirling Moss?"...... before I could utter a word a voice from the back seat said " No he's not but I am, now can you let this driver take me to the train station as I will miss my train?"... The befuddled look on the policeman's face was priceless , followed by an apology then a salute and we were on our way in seconds....... nothing was said we got to the station on time, he shook my hand and off he went.....

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I met him in Melbourne, cannot remember which year. He was with his wife wondering through the paddock. It was quiet and I plucked up the courage to go and speak to him and ask for his autograph. We had a chat and he was a good chat we shook hands and parted.
I got up to my garage and his wife intercepted me and she just said to me “thank you, you made his day”. I was taken aback, but then we all have a low moment in life and perhaps he was having one, but he was very happy to chat with me and he made my day and he made my Dad’s when he got an autograph to for his book ! I told his wife he made my day ?

Gentlemen and a hero, who was happy to talk to anyone even a no one !

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
RIP Stirling.

The below is not my recollection, but will ring a few bells with the older generation & may raise a small smile on what has been a pretty awful Sunday;

Sir Stirling Moss departs, as some have said maybe one lap to many, a hero no doubt in the days of black and white where being a racing driver, was very much a risky business. Lucky to meet him several times with him being the public image of a company I worked for back in the 80's, certainly a person from an era before my hero's though no doubt highly skilled. Just one funny moment, I was tasked to drive him to a local train station after a company function, he was quiet sitting in the back of the Sierra no doubt mulling over the occasion and keen to be getting home, I was to my own error speeding, not excessive but say enough to be pulled by the police, so apologising for my stupidity to my special passenger, I wound the window down to said officer, who first comment was " Who do you think you are Stirling Moss?"...... before I could utter a word a voice from the back seat said " No he's not but I am, now can you let this driver take me to the train station as I will miss my train?"... The befuddled look on the policeman's face was priceless , followed by an apology then a salute and we were on our way in seconds....... nothing was said we got to the station on time, he shook my hand and off he went.....

A lovely story and a lovely man ! Thanks for sharing that ?