Sir Nick Faldo

swingstar1

Assistant Pro
Visit site
well said - if a footballer had done similar there would be calls for him to be made prime minister

why else did liverpool get such undue recognition for winning the european cup the other year?

muttleee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
That's the way it is these days...win a trophy and get an instant MBE or something, like with the English Rugby World Cup winning team or the Ashes team from last year. Geoff Hurst didn't get a gong till 1979 and it took until 2000 before Nobby Stiles got one despite winning the World Cup in 1966!

chipin1

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I think the problem with Faldo is that he's not a particularly good bloke. Simple as that. He's upset quite a lot of people on his way to the top and the result is that now he doesn't get the recognition that his performances deserve.

MacMachattie

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Quite right Chipin1 - He's not the most popular guy. But should that prevent him receiving an honour? I'm thinking: Sir Colin Montgomerie...

Trueblue

Head Pro
Visit site
World cup team deserved recognition - we live in a fast-moving society boys, people don't want to wait for 40-yrs to get a prize and quite right.

Have to say don't think any jock deserves a knighthood though...traitors

MacMachattie

Assistant Pro
Visit site
How can we be traitors? We don't owe anything to you Sassenach wimps. How many of our young men died in various wars you lot started? Too many.

Topper_Harley

Medal Winner
Visit site
Swingstar - there's no need to get stuck into Liverpool just because you're an Evertonian.

Liverpool FC got no recognition for winning the European Cup from the honours list at all, not even the English players Gerrard and Carragher. It caused a furore on Merseyside.

I'm sure Faldo will be knighted in due course as our greatest golfer, it would be richly deserved....even if he did refuse to sign an autograph for me at the Open when I was ten.

chipin1

Assistant Pro
Visit site
How has this descended into a fight between Liverpool and Everton/ England and Scotland?

What about Sir Andrew Oldcorn

muttleee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
World cup team deserved recognition - we live in a fast-moving society boys, people don't want to wait for 40-yrs to get a prize and quite right.

Whether they want to wait or not is beside the point..! :) The thing is that in the "old days", simply winning wasn't enough to get a gong...you got it for something mysterious called "services to football/golf/whatever". Players are paid to go out and win so that in itself doesn't necessarily deserve an honour (if in fact anything does). If you run junior football academies and so on up and down the country or go into the administration of your sport, that was more likely to get you an honour. Faldo obviously does have a big interest in training juniors and did get his MBE for "services to golf" (although that was long before he started his academy program).

If winning something is reason enough to get an honour, is humiliation in the same event enough to rescind it?! Step forward the Ashes team!