Single figure guys are better for a reason

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
Some AMAZING stats from the PGA.
Greens in Regulation from the Fairway

What percentage GIR for the top players? 87%. Who is top? Luke Donald? No, Bubba Watson. Luke is 16th on 80%.

Thus proving that distance off the tee (so long as accurate), is a key to scoring.

tim, you are never going to be a great golfer. maybe someone that can hold there own, but never great. i've read alot of your post's. you havent got a clue. there are a great deal of good golfers on this forum that are much better than you and i.....you ever thought they may be right?

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site

What percentage GIR for the top players? 87%. Who is top? Luke Donald? No, Bubba Watson. Luke is 16th on 80%.

Thus proving that distance off the tee (so long as accurate), is a key to scoring.

What you forgot to mention is Bubba only hits the fairway 63% of the time.......

And talking of scoring

From PGA Tour Stats

Scoring average

Luke Donald 69.08 1st

Bubba Watson 70.86 58th

Luke doesn't drive it as far as Bubba, he doesn't hit as many GIR as Bubba. Wonder what it is that makes him nearly 2 shots a round better than Bubba?

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not knocking Bubba at all here though.
Just showing that there's many ways to play this game

Absolutely. For what it's worth I think Bubba is one of the best things to happen to golf for ages. I love watching him play. I also love watching Luke. Golf needs and accommodates all sorts. It is what makes golf such a great sport both to play and to watch.

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think consistancy will get you down to single figures , talent will take you a good bit lower , & practice a bit lower again . i think it was jammydodger that said it , there is such a difference in single figurs golfers tho .. say you have 3 guys off 5 - 8 -11 not much difference between the guys 8 -11. guy off 11 could match or beat the guy off 8 on a few occasions , but there is a good difference between the guys off 5-8 . still only 3 shots but very bigger & different gulf in skill & ability, the guy off 5 will have a greater level of consistancy , course management GIR,s etc ..

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I think consistancy will get you down to single figures , talent will take you a good bit lower , & practice a bit lower again . i think it was jammydodger that said it , there is such a difference in single figurs golfers tho .. say you have 3 guys off 5 - 8 -11 not much difference between the guys 8 -11. guy off 11 could match or beat the guy off 8 on a few occasions , but there is a good difference between the guys off 5-8 . still only 3 shots but very bigger & different gulf in skill & ability, the guy off 5 will have a greater level of consistancy , course management GIR,s etc ..

you havent met my mate sam. plays to 5 every round, but i dont know how.... he hacks like a pro!

barrybridges

Head Pro
fairwaytogo.wordpress.com

What you forgot to mention is Bubba only hits the fairway 63% of the time.......

Surely that goes against your point though? The fact he has relatively poor FIR but has such high GIR suggests that accuracy is less relevant...

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Trying to summerise all the points a little. To get to single figures you need a really good all round game. You have to be good off the tee and to scramble well and your putting needs to be better than average. Finally, it all has to come together when you have a card in your hand

So,all the same things that the Pro's are looking for but at a much higher level!

Given then, how difficult that all is - either Timgolfy is (as I suspect) just a big wind up, or, he is in for a big shock when he starts looking to aquire a handicap

Chris

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
he HAS to be a wind up chris, either that or he has hostory making natural talent..........

you can take your pick here, but either way he must have MASSIVE balls to wind everyone up the way he has, talk the game he has, then turn up at the hero's meet. that deserves respect if nothing else.

Jabba

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I shot a gross 87 at Cleckheaton yesterday (nett 65 on a par 71) with a 7 handicapper who played it to gross 76. I was more consistent than him off the tee and I hit about as many GIR's as him. The difference was that he often got up and down in 2 where I didn't manage that once and he had 4 single putts where I had 15 2 putts and 3 4 putts.
My mate was so much better than me around the greens that it just wasn't funny. I had a good day with my long game which helped carry my short game, he scored under H'cap despite having an off day from the tee.
I'm convinced that on most days the amateur golfer with the better short game will win the game.

timgolfy

Q-School Graduate
Banned
Visit site
I shot a gross 87 at Cleckheaton yesterday (nett 65 on a par 71) with a 7 handicapper who played it to gross 76. I was more consistent than him off the tee and I hit about as many GIR's as him. The difference was that he often got up and down in 2 where I didn't manage that once and he had 4 single putts where I had 15 2 putts and 3 4 putts.
My mate was so much better than me around the greens that it just wasn't funny. I had a good day with my long game which helped carry my short game, he scored under H'cap despite having an off day from the tee.
I'm convinced that on most days the amateur golfer with the better short game will win the game.

Sounds like your friend needs to go back to basics and groove a consistent, accurate and powerful swing. Why does he keep missing the greens?

surefire

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

Surely that goes against your point though? The fact he has relatively poor FIR but has such high GIR suggests that accuracy is less relevant...

The stat only measures GIR when in the fairway.

What Bubba does when in the long stuff is not factored into this stat at all.

All the stat says is that when Bubba is long and accurate with his drive he hits lots of greens.
For a more complete picture we would also need to know what happens when he is long and wild.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Sounds like your friend needs to go back to basics and groove a consistent, accurate and powerful swing. Why does he keep missing the greens?

Consistent, Accurate and powerfull are 3 words that never normally come together in a amature golfers swing tim, that and as mentioned before bounces, wind factor, varying lies etc all have a effect on the ball.

you will soon epxerience things like dead bounces, when youve hit a monster drive and are left with a short pitch on a par 4, the greens arent holding so you pitch short of the green to take the sting out, and the ball just dies without warning meaning another chip on. its shots like this that you drop in the course of a round.... and everyone does them, unless your 99% accurate with you wedges and can drop and stop from short distances..... which 90% of golfers cant.

Jabba

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Sounds like your friend needs to go back to basics and groove a consistent, accurate and powerful swing. Why does he keep missing the greens? [/quote

Probably for the same reasons the pro's miss the greens. Congratulation on totally missing the point of the post and I look forward to your post saying that you have got a handicap of less than 7.

timgolfy

Q-School Graduate
Banned
Visit site
Probably for the same reasons the pro's miss the greens.

Don't forget that the pros play on tough courses specifically chosen to test their skills. I bet if a Tour Pro were to play on the majority of amateur courses then would hit 100% GIR and probably birdie nine of them, shooting -9.

Those golfers who consistently miss greens and rely on good short games to par have reached their limit. There is no where else for them to go. Unless, of course, they go back to basics to groove that consistent, accurate, powerful swing I was talking about.

Albanach

Head Pro
Visit site
I played with a 4 and 6 handicapper at the weekend and I'm off 8 - we all had net 77 but I cannot tell you where any of their drives ended up as I don't tend to pay particular attention to them unless its heading for the bundi so I can helpp to look for it. I like to concentrate on my own game rather on other people's during a medal.

I know I have the potential to play off a lower handicap but don't have the time to practice just now. Like others have said up there its the 100 yards in the lower guys in general are very good as they get the ball in the correct place on the green and give themselves makeable birdie and par putts. Also it's things like having the ability and confidence to shape shots to tight pins.

AuburnWarrior

Tour Winner
Visit site
Probably for the same reasons the pro's miss the greens.

Don't forget that the pros play on tough courses specifically chosen to test their skills. I bet if a Tour Pro were to play on the majority of amateur courses then would hit 100% GIR and probably birdie nine of them, shooting -9.

Those golfers who consistently miss greens and rely on good short games to par have reached their limit. There is no where else for them to go. Unless, of course, they go back to basics to groove that consistent, accurate, powerful swing I was talking about.

Hmmm, not too sure that's right Tim. As has been said, NO golfer will hit EVERY green EVERY time regardless of the course set up.

You're right about the 'normal' course though. If a tour pro played my course they'd probably shoot very low 60s but then we see that from them on the tour so I guess whatever course they play, they've got the game/ability to tear it up.

They'll still miss greens though.