Silly questions

NedPizza

Visit site
After a 20 year break, I came back to golf last summer. So much has changed since.
So now and again I have a question, which to most of you will sound silly.

So this post is to allow those questions for us coming back to the game or just starting out :

Q. Is it true when being fitted for irons, you only hit a 7 iron?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
After a 20 year break, I came back to golf last summer. So much has changed since.

So this post is to allow those questions for us coming back to the game or just starting out :

For the most part - Yes
The main reason is that the fitter would need to have stock of half a dozen heads and shafts of every model of every manufacturer that he stocked....thats a lot of trial clubs that will bump up the price of the clubs we buy.
Mizuno have 7 iron models
If you use, say, 6,8 and wedge heads in each model plus 3 or 4 different lies that makes a lot of heads.
Add in the 20 shaft choices - at 3 different lengths plus different grips...
You'd need a shop the size of Harrodsto stock it all..

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site

Generally yes!

The dealers/pro normally have a supply of shafts and heads of different lofts and lies etc so they can swap all of the different set ups to find what suits and there is an assumption that if the 7 iron (can sometimes be an 8 or 6) is correctly set up then the rest of the clubs will be right too. Gone are the days of a demo set in most makes

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
As per Imurg

Modern demonstrator clubs look like this (note the hole in the bottom of the head) and the lie can be adjusted simply by putting the shaft in the other way up)

DSCN3881.JPGDSCN3882.JPG

RichA

Visit site
I'm also a recent returner and looking forward to having a fitting for new irons in the near future. I had a fitting before xmas and they only used 7 irons.
The thing I wonder about is the way sets are made up these days. Apparently, most people don't buy an iron longer than a 5 anymore, but most sets still offer a 4 and maybe even a 3 if it's a traditionally lofted set.
How do I know if I can hit the 3 or 4 off the deck if there's no way to try.
Totally get the point about the volume of parts that the fitter would need to stock, but as a hybrid hater, I'd like a chance to test a longer iron in my specs.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm also a recent returner and looking forward to having a fitting for new irons in the near future. I had a fitting before xmas and they only used 7 irons.
The thing I wonder about is the way sets are made up these days. Apparently, most people don't buy an iron longer than a 5 anymore, but most sets still offer a 4 and maybe even a 3 if it's a traditionally lofted set.
Totally get the point about the volume of parts that the fitter would need to stock, but as a hybrid hater, I'd like a chance to test a longer iron in my specs.
Most oems have hybrid irons to complement their clubs.

But a good fitter will be able to tell if you can hit a 3 iron by the way you hit your irons in the fitting.
He can then order you one
But depends what model you pick quite a few don’t make standard 3 irons anymore.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

There’s no such thing as a silly question .
If you don’t ask you will never know. :)

NedPizza

Visit site
Now at the young age of 56, my best golfing days are over.
So silly question no. 2 do I really need a fitting or can I just pickup a decent set of second hand irons?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
So silly question no. 2 do I really need a fitting or can I just pickup a decent set of second hand irons?
I think it sort of depends how seriously you're going to take it..
If youre going to try and improve, as you've still got plenty of years left, then a fitting is a decent idea - especially if you're not somewhere approaching "standard" in height, arm length etc.
Finding out you need lightweight regular shafts when you've just bought a set with S300s in ( stiff and heavy)
Shafts that are an inch too long or short won't help either neither will having a lie angle of 3 up when you need 2 down.
You can get the basics from the Ping online fitting page.
If you come out as a Black dot (standard) then you'll be close to standard set up in most clubs.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site

A new 5 iron has the loft and length of an old 3 iron so you don't need need to buy a 3 and 4 iron.
But you will need a couple of extra wedges as the new PW will probably have the loft of an old 8 iron.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
When I was fit for my mizunos They had 7i, pitching wedge, and 4 irons. They blend sets, so my 8, 9 and PW are a blade head and the 7-4 are cavity. The bigger head MMC 4i didn’t suit but I could imagine they’d blend that into the cavity irons if that worked better. Loads of shaft choices, it was mega. There’s a fitting centre at Bearwood Lakes but mine was a Mizuno Day at a local club on their open driving range, they bring the whole kit.

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

In my experience fitters start by letting you warm up a bit - for me that's a seven iron. Then I get asked questions about what ball flight I have/want to see, what's the lowest lofted iron I use, what do I like the look of etc..

I ended up hitting a 4/7/PW in the set I got fitted for.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

I would not go and buy a brand new fitted set straight away. As you get back in to it your swing may well change. Unless you are outside of roughly 5"7" to 5'11" a standard set will be fine to start with. If you do the static fit on the Ping website it will give you an idea and it can be possible to find S/H sets on ebay or similar if you need a particular length/lie.

If you opt for Ping or forged S/H the lie can always be altered anyway.

RichA

Visit site
I had a fitting before xmas and they only used 7 irons.
Just watched James Robinson's video that he posted today, which is on this very subject.

NedPizza

Visit site
I would not go and buy a brand new fitted set straight away. As you get back in to it your swing may well change. Unless you are outside of roughly 5"7" to 5'11" a standard set will be fine to start with. If you do the static fit on the Ping website it will give you an idea and it can be possible to find S/H sets on ebay or similar if you need a particular length/lie.

If you opt for Ping or forged S/H the lie can always be altered anyway.

I have short legs and long arms so according to the chart I'm gold dot. So way off standard. Only saw one set of ping irons on ebay with this dot.
Hopefully I can get hold of a 7 iron with this loft to compare to my current irons.

Last edited:

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site

Over the years I've changed my irons occasionally, I've had off the shelf ones, secondhand ones and been fitted at places like Callaway and Titleist and, in truth, there has been precious little difference between any. I am 6 foot tall and, I guess, pretty standard in fitting but the best round of golf I ever played was done with a set of "off the shelf" Callaway X2 Hot irons. I am currently using off the shelf Taylormade P790's and they feel pretty good