Silly pin locations

inc0gnito

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Playing the second today and the green is two tiered. The green is sloped in places but never have I seen the pin placed in the middle of the ramp between the tiers. I stroked the ball to two inches from the hole and it came back down again to about 8 feet away. The only way the ball was stopping was if it went in the hole or at least 5 feet either side.

Never seen this before (except on winter greens where it can’t be helped). Is this a normal thing? Seen it before?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
We have a couple of greens that slope back to front.
To be honest, from anywhere on the green you can putt off it easily in the summer.

I remember Month saying that,on one green of a US Open, his caddy placed a ball, during a practice round, 18 inches beyond one hole
The ball stayed there for 2-3 seconds and then rolled 20 yards off the green.

Sometimes the greenkeepers are just sadistic...

Norrin Radd

Tour Winner
Visit site
i maybe very wrong about this but the pin isnt supposed to be put on any major slope on a green ,it can be on a slope but not one that makes the ball roll .ie a major slope ,and then it has to be a certain distance from said slope.
like i have said i maybe very wrong but im sure i read it somewhere .

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
At one of my previous clubs there was a competition called the Greenkeepers Revenge. Legend had it that the greenkeeper got fed up with the criticism of pin placement so said to the greens committee that if they wanted to see dodgy pin positions he would set it up for a competition. Pins on slopes, 1 foot from edges, top of mounds, etc.

It proved so popular it became an annual event.

(no windmills though)

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
At one of my previous clubs there was a competition called the Greenkeepers Revenge. Legend had it that the greenkeeper got fed up with the criticism of pin placement so said to the greens committee that if they wanted to see dodgy pin positions he would set it up for a competition. Pins on slopes, 1 foot from edges, top of mounds, etc.

(no windmills though)

I’d love our club to run this

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Your greens manager should read the guide to setting up for a competition. The hole should never be place within 6 foot of a severe slope.

Sadly I think ours have not read this guide either.

inc0gnito

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I remember one summer at a local pay and play nailing a 3 iron to 8 feet below the hole on a par 3.

My putt misses, came back past me and 10 yards off the front of the green. Finally got down in 13 after a birdie putt.

Took me 5 putts today! And I was putting very very well!!

inc0gnito

Assistant Pro
Visit site

(no windmills though)

It definitely felt like crazy golf today 🏰

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
The R&A's advice.
An area of two to three feet around the hole should be as level as possible. Effort should be
made to ensure that holes are not positioned within three paces of a very severe slope or ridge
or of a recently used hole. If the design of the green dictates that the hole be positioned on a
slope, the hole should be cut vertically, not with the slope. A player putting from above the hole
should be able to stop the ball near the hole.

Norrin Radd

Tour Winner
Visit site
The R&A's advice.
An area of two to three feet around the hole should be as level as possible. Effort should be
made to ensure that holes are not positioned within three paces of a very severe slope or ridge
or of a recently used hole. If the design of the green dictates that the hole be positioned on a
slope, the hole should be cut vertically, not with the slope. A player putting from above the hole
The R&A's advice.
yayy i knew i had read it somewhere ,(y)(y)(y)

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Never played in it, but we have a green keepers revenge at our place. When we play on a Tuesday the pots are back to normal, but you can see some of the pin positions and they look ridiculous.
On a few of the holes you can see the pin position at the very front. Play up to it and there is no hole where the pin is. The hole with no flag is sat at the very back of the green.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Just back from club match at Caversham. Greens and elephant graveyards come to mind. Not a problem but when the pins are on slopes to the extent members are 4 putting regularly (they should know their greens after all these years) then it has to be questionable. At the end of the day, matchplay so scores are irrelevant to a degree and it's about getting it in the hole asap. We have a few greens with tiers and slopes and you can see from the flag position and colour where they are and knowing our greens you can tell when position is paramount

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site

(no windmills though)
Chartham Park had one of those days too. I never played it (it was an 'on the way home from work favourite' though) but there were a couple, or more, of the greens that had potential for limitless putts!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

(no windmills though)
We have this. Not only are the pins in silly positions but on a couple of holes they decide to put things like the ride on machinery in front of a green or deliberately trample all through the bunkers on a hole so there are nothing but footprints in the sand. The members love it and it's one of the socials that is booked within days of going up. Shows how sadistic we can be as golfers

Roops

Head Pro
Visit site
I never knew that about cutting the holes vertically on sloping greens, rather than with the slope. I have never noticed whether ours are vertical or with the slope........