Silly pin locations

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Worst I've seen was playing a course on a Sunday. Pins had been set the previous day for a Saturday comp with rain forecast Saturday morning. They had put most of the pins up on slopes to avoid a situation where people couldn't take relief from casual water and they'd have to cancel the whole comp.

Saturday afternoon it dried up and by Sunday they were reasonably quick again, had been cut but pins not changed. One or two spots you could only really stop your putt near the hole by holing it and if you hit a firm putt well past the hole it would easily run back to well past where you started from.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
I once sent the R&A Guidance to our General Manager. I was told our greens are too small to follow said guidelines!

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
Playing the second today and the green is two tiered. The green is sloped in places but never have I seen the pin placed in the middle of the ramp between the tiers. I stroked the ball to two inches from the hole and it came back down again to about 8 feet away. The only way the ball was stopping was if it went in the hole or at least 5 feet either side.

Never seen this before (except on winter greens where it can’t be helped). Is this a normal thing? Seen it before?
I did this when it was the Captain and Vice Captain day at our club. Our 9th green is two tier and I instructed the head greenkeeper to put it on the slope between the two :devilish:.
My favourite moment of the day was when one of my friends stormed up to me on the 13th tee (where we have our marquee for the day) and asked me who the *%^"£! put the hole there. "The greenstaff" I said calmly. Now if he had asked me who told them to put it there ........... :LOL::ROFLMAO:. Ooh I did larf!

inc0gnito

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I did this when it was the Captain and Vice Captain day at our club. Our 9th green is two tier and I instructed the head greenkeeper to put it on the slope between the two :devilish:.
My favourite moment of the day was when one of my friends stormed up to me on the 13th tee (where we have our marquee for the day) and asked me who the *%^"£! put the hole there. "The greenstaff" I said calmly. Now if he had asked me who told them to put it there ........... :LOL::ROFLMAO:. Ooh I did larf!

Some people just want to watch the world burn.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
The europro course set up is pins set on a slope of no more than 3 degrees

The R&A also set up a course fairly. When my course was used for final qualifying in 2013 I was surprised to hear that none of the pins were in "silly" places.

I also thought at Muirfield the same year that the pins I saw over the week when marshalling were pretty fair. A variety of positions but nothing that could make anyone look rubbish!