Silloth on Solway

• Thread starter Deleted member 3432
  • Start date

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I've always fancied playing Siloth and the pics on the 1st page only enhance that desire! Unfortunately, the times I've been in the vicinity, I've always been rushing to or from Edinburgh from/to Surrey, so the not inconsiderable diverion simply hasn't been possible, either by the time involved or the actual time of passing - 05:00 or 19:00! But I always gave a silent 'best wishes' to anyone (else!) daft enough to enjoy getting beaten up by the challenge of links golf in stressful conditions!

D

Deleted member 3432

I've always fancied playing Siloth and the pics on the 1st page only enhance that desire! Unfortunately, the times I've been in the vicinity, I've always been rushing to or from Edinburgh from/to Surrey, so the not inconsiderable diverion simply hasn't been possible, either by the time involved or the actual time of passing - 05:00 or 19:00! But I always gave a silent 'best wishes' to anyone (else!) daft enough to enjoy getting beaten up by the challenge of links golf in stressful conditions!

Hope you get the chance to play it at some stage, its a great course.

Front 9 in particular is fantastic.

D

Deleted member 3432

No 89 in Todays Golfer Top 100 in the world courses.
February Edition.

Top%20100%20World%20Ranking%20Position.jpg

IanG

Tour Rookie
Visit site
2020 was going to be the year I finally made the long-overdue trip down to Silloth .. then something came up :rolleyes: but surely I can make it in 2021 ....:)

D

Deleted member 3432

2020 was going to be the year I finally made the long-overdue trip down to Silloth .. then something came up :rolleyes: but surely I can make it in 2021 ....:)
Let's hope so (y)

123*

Hacker
Visit site
I fell in love with the place that much I've joined as a member! The fact it's only 2 and a bit hours away is only a minor inconvenience!

D

Deleted member 3432

I fell in love with the place that much I've joined as a member! The fact it's only 2 and a bit hours away is only a minor inconvenience!
You won't regret it.

Won't be many playing today though, torrential rain, flood warnings all over the county and blowing a hoolie.

Fairly standard weather around these parts....:ROFLMAO:

123*

Hacker
Visit site
Sounds like the conditions it's been like the two times I've been over! Looking forward to the one day of the year when it's calm and sunny.

123*

Hacker
Visit site
Are the comps ever off the blues? We played off the whites in 40mph winds and it felt longer than our home 7800 yard home track!

D

Deleted member 3432

Sounds like the conditions it's been like the two times I've been over! Looking forward to the one day of the year when it's calm and sunny.

Not far wrong with one day of the year for calm and sunny.

We do get both occasionally, just not at the same time.

Just got to accept you will be playing in breezy conditions most of the time and learn not to fight it just keep clubbing up into the wind and don't try to muscle it.

D

Deleted member 3432

Are the comps ever off the blues? We played off the whites in 40mph winds and it felt longer than our home 7800 yard home track!
Blues are used for scratch open, club champs and we play one stableford a month during summer off the blues.

5, 7 and 13 are brutal into the wind off these tees, the carry is too long for many members into any sort of wind.

Boomy

Visit site
@saving_par Hurry up 29th March ? Really Cant wait to get back out there and looking at the photos only makes it worse! Do you know when we’ll find out about bookings/reopening? Just checking I’ve not missed an email.

D

Deleted member 3432

@saving_par Hurry up 29th March ? Really Cant wait to get back out there and looking at the photos only makes it worse! Do you know when we’ll find out about bookings/reopening? Just checking I’ve not missed an email.

I would expect Alan will be sending out details this week. Certainly coming out of previous lockdowns we were able to book 7 days ahead for a period before extending the booking period further ahead. Again, I would image members only to start with as per last time.

Sounds like Brian and his lads have been busy working on the course and I expect it will be in good shape, just need some warmer weather to get the grass to start growing which is always an issue early season.

Boomy

Visit site
I would expect Alan will be sending out details this week. Certainly coming out of previous lockdowns we were able to book 7 days ahead for a period before extending the booking period further ahead. Again, I would image members only to start with as per last time.

Sounds like Brian and his lads have been busy working on the course and I expect it will be in good shape, just need some warmer weather to get the grass to start growing which is always an issue early season.

I was mildly concerned I’d missed an email or deleted it by mistake ?
Hopefully we’ll know what’s what this week like you say. Hopefully members only for the first month it so as well or it could be carnage.

Yeah it does sound like there has been lots going on. I don’t like the sound of them leatherjackets though - I’d never even heard of them until the newsletter. Can’t wait to play the course in summer - really can’t wait.