Silloth on Solway

Thread starter #41

saving_par

Challenge Tour Pro
I’ve just joined this year after a 10 year break from the beautiful game! It’s taking a bit of getting back into my swing but I’m loving every minute of Silloth 🏌🏻‍♂️

I’ve not yet experienced the ‘5 club’ wind on the 9th yet, it’s been a wedge every time I’ve played... not looking forward to using a 5 iron on there 😱

There’s are a few bunkers I’d rather not go back into 😂 and not missing the 4th green on the left or right is a good thing to do 😫 I learned the hard way!

It’s a course not to be missed, with a very warm welcome and a great meal in the bar after.
You can be hitting more than a 5 iron at times.

Hit a 3 iron once that was never seen again and we were not even off the back tee :eek:

4th is a classic case where course management comes into play. Out of position off the tee then seriously think of playing up short of the green leaving an easy chip rather than spending 10 minutes going from side to side. Toughest hole on the course when the wind switches to the north or east.

Great that you are enjoying getting back into it at such a great track.

Foxholer

Major Champion
I've always fancied playing Siloth and the pics on the 1st page only enhance that desire! Unfortunately, the times I've been in the vicinity, I've always been rushing to or from Edinburgh from/to Surrey, so the not inconsiderable diverion simply hasn't been possible, either by the time involved or the actual time of passing - 05:00 or 19:00! But I always gave a silent 'best wishes' to anyone (else!) daft enough to enjoy getting beaten up by the challenge of links golf in stressful conditions!

Thread starter #43

saving_par

Challenge Tour Pro
I've always fancied playing Siloth and the pics on the 1st page only enhance that desire! Unfortunately, the times I've been in the vicinity, I've always been rushing to or from Edinburgh from/to Surrey, so the not inconsiderable diverion simply hasn't been possible, either by the time involved or the actual time of passing - 05:00 or 19:00! But I always gave a silent 'best wishes' to anyone (else!) daft enough to enjoy getting beaten up by the challenge of links golf in stressful conditions!
Hope you get the chance to play it at some stage, its a great course.

Front 9 in particular is fantastic.

IanG

Tour Rookie
2020 was going to be the year I finally made the long-overdue trip down to Silloth .. then something came up :rolleyes: but surely I can make it in 2021 ....:)

I fell in love with the place that much I've joined as a member! The fact it's only 2 and a bit hours away is only a minor inconvenience!

Thread starter #49

saving_par

Challenge Tour Pro
I fell in love with the place that much I've joined as a member! The fact it's only 2 and a bit hours away is only a minor inconvenience!
You won't regret it.

Won't be many playing today though, torrential rain, flood warnings all over the county and blowing a hoolie.

Fairly standard weather around these parts....:ROFLMAO:

Sounds like the conditions it's been like the two times I've been over! Looking forward to the one day of the year when it's calm and sunny.

Are the comps ever off the blues? We played off the whites in 40mph winds and it felt longer than our home 7800 yard home track!

Thread starter #52

saving_par

Challenge Tour Pro
Sounds like the conditions it's been like the two times I've been over! Looking forward to the one day of the year when it's calm and sunny.
Not far wrong with one day of the year for calm and sunny.

We do get both occasionally, just not at the same time.

Just got to accept you will be playing in breezy conditions most of the time and learn not to fight it just keep clubbing up into the wind and don't try to muscle it.

Thread starter #54

saving_par

Challenge Tour Pro
Are the comps ever off the blues? We played off the whites in 40mph winds and it felt longer than our home 7800 yard home track!
Blues are used for scratch open, club champs and we play one stableford a month during summer off the blues.

5, 7 and 13 are brutal into the wind off these tees, the carry is too long for many members into any sort of wind.