Silloth on Solway

• Thread starter Deleted member 3432
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 3432

I was mildly concerned I’d missed an email or deleted it by mistake ?
Hopefully we’ll know what’s what this week like you say. Hopefully members only for the first month it so as well or it could be carnage.

Yeah it does sound like there has been lots going on. I don’t like the sound of them leatherjackets though - I’d never even heard of them until the newsletter. Can’t wait to play the course in summer - really can’t wait.

Leatherjackets have been a bit of a problem on the 11th fairway the last couple of years, mainly early in the season when the birds have been digging for them.

You will love it when it browns off and start playing fast, very different course and although the ball can run miles it is definately not easier as it makes the fairways very narrow and you can get into trouble very easily with a hard bounce.

Boomy

Visit site
Leatherjackets have been a bit of a problem on the 11th fairway the last couple of years, mainly early in the season when the birds have been digging for them.

You will love it when it browns off and start playing fast, very different course and although the ball can run miles it is definately not easier as it makes the fairways very narrow and you can get into trouble very easily with a hard bounce.

Really can’t wait to experience it playing like that ? proper links golf, firm and fast fairways, risk/reward trying to go too long off the tee. I’d imagine stopping the ball on the green gets harder too?

I’ve not got a handicap yet, need to get 3 cards in asap as well so I can get in some competitions.

D

Deleted member 3432

Really can’t wait to experience it playing like that ? proper links golf, firm and fast fairways, risk/reward trying to go too long off the tee. I’d imagine stopping the ball on the green gets harder too?

I’ve not got a handicap yet, need to get 3 cards in asap as well so I can get in some competitions.

You can stop it into the wind no problem, not so easy downwind....:ROFLMAO:

Don't fight it into the wind, accept the ball will won't go very far, just try and keep it low.

My tips are you must hit the fairway at all costs to make any sort of score.

If in the heather, wedge it out even if it looks like its sitting up as I can guarantee it won't come out....

Avoid a car crash on 13 by playing very conservative, don't be tempted to go for the green from the 1st section of fairway. Hard enough to hit the green from 60 yards in the middle of the fairway on a breezy day :eek:

Finally, some proper bunkers out there so best avoid them.

And another finally, play in some Blue tee comps to find out what its really like (y)

HeftyHacker

Visit site
Just stumbled across a few photos from our trip at the end of April so thought I'd share. Stunning place and these pics remind me I need to get back ASAP!

20210706_224237.jpg
My pal teeing off on the 4th, with the Solway firth behind.
20210706_224002.jpg
The third tee
20210706_224044.jpg
9th(??) Tee

Boomy

Visit site

Deijavoo

Medal Winner
Visit site
I live in Cumbria and played it quite a few times now. Played last Thursday and Friday in the Mizuno Pairs thing.

Was absolutely superb as always.

Stick it on one of the famous coasts and they would charge 5 times the green fee.

Seascale is another whopping links course. People seem to like one or the other, I think they're both brilliant. Cumbria is an underrated area for golf courses in general.

Boomy

Visit site
I really must get back so I can banish all confusion of which tees are which. Any excuse.

Absolutely, get yourself up for a game. No excuses needed (unless it’s to the Mrs then tee confusion is as good as any ?) Always a warm welcome at Silloth on Solway ⛳

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
That's becoming a myth this summer, we have had a lot of sunny, calm days. Bound to end soon and wet, 4 club winds return for months on end ??
We've had a great few months too, though we have had the horrible easterly that makes the back 9 very tough. River Ness and Loch levels have been very low. Went down to the central belt this weekend and Monday Tues for some opens and it peed it down the whole time. Got back last night and it's not stopped raining since:unsure::ROFLMAO:

toyboy54

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
We've had a great few months too, though we have had the horrible easterly that makes the back 9 very tough. River Ness and Loch levels have been very low. Went down to the central belt this weekend and Monday Tues for some opens and it peed it down the whole time. Got back last night and it's not stopped raining since:unsure::ROFLMAO:
Sorry for change of subject....but where were you playing Patricks...we played Bellshill oldies comp couple weeks ago and Billy and Willie came and played ours-great value, good laughs, good company-can't beat it, can you??

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Sorry for change of subject....but where were you playing Patricks...we played Bellshill oldies comp couple weeks ago and Billy and Willie came and played ours-great value, good laughs, good company-can't beat it, can you??
We had a game at carnoustie on Sunday as guests and that was OK I bit cloudy, but played Seniors at Ballater on Monday and Edzell on Tuesday. Ballater it rained the whole way round and Edzell the last 5 holes. Forfar used to be on the Wednesday, but moved to another date for some reason. Not played Ballater before, nit a bad wee course, short, but tricky none the less

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
We had a game at carnoustie on Sunday as guests and that was OK I bit cloudy, but played Seniors at Ballater on Monday and Edzell on Tuesday. Ballater it rained the whole way round and Edzell the last 5 holes. Forfar used to be on the Wednesday, but moved to another date for some reason. Not played Ballater before, nit a bad wee course, short, but tricky none the less
Scottish Mixed pairs is at Forfar all week ?

toyboy54

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Carnoustie / Forfar, not much to choose between them ?. Forfar was in good nick despite all the rain

Let's get back to Silloth eh?
On phone to cousins in Maryport tonight and hoping to arrange trip down to see them--and ( a very big AND ) try for a round over the lovely Silloth and maybe even Maryport!
One can but hope ( maybe get our Kath to take Jean shopping in Carlisle? )