Silloth Golf Course

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
I played this place on Tuesday 29th May. The Pro kindly found me a bunch of lads to join up with. Thanks to all five of them, but particularly the two I played with Paul and Tony.
If you cannot hit the ball 180 off the tee don't bother playing this place. It's not a beginners course. We were off yellows, which is tough enough but off whites? To score well you need to know the place as there are loads of blind tee shots and second shots. It is without any doubt in my mind THE toughest place I've placed golf, and this was on a lovely sunny day with just a mild sea breeze. Would I play again? Yes, but not without a warm up game the day before!

Once again, just in case they ever read this, thanks to the five lads who let me join up with them. :thup:

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
We played it on the way up to Turnberry, it was freezing cold with the wind gusting at 40MPH, no idea where we were playing to on the blind shots, and no local guides, it was brutal.

D

Deleted member 3432

I played this place on Tuesday 29th May. The Pro kindly found me a bunch of lads to join up with. Thanks to all five of them, but particularly the two I played with Paul and Tony.
If you cannot hit the ball 180 off the tee don't bother playing this place. It's not a beginners course. We were off yellows, which is tough enough but off whites? To score well you need to know the place as there are loads of blind tee shots and second shots. It is without any doubt in my mind THE toughest place I've placed golf, and this was on a lovely sunny day with just a mild sea breeze. Would I play again? Yes, but not without a warm up game the day before!

Once again, just in case they ever read this, thanks to the five lads who let me join up with them. :thup:

Glad to hear you enjoyed my home course.

Its in great condition at the moment, amazingly dry for Cumbria this early in the summer which is making the fairways play narrow especially down breeze.

Wind and different tees make it a different course almost on a daily basis. As an example Yesterday off the blue tee on the 5th, I hit driver, 2 iron, 9 iron. This was into at most a half club wind. Today on the same hole off yellows with a 1 club breeze behind I hit driver, 7 iron.

It is tough but also great fun and to me the blind and semi blind shots are part of its appeal. It took me about a full season to understand how to play it in a particular wind direction and various lines to take.

What was your favourite hole? Mine is the 9th, such a short hole but you have to commit totally to the shot in any sort of wind with all those pot bunkers just waiting.

Also the view off the 5th tee is breath taking.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Never played it but always fancied it as everyone i know who has say its a beast.

But looking at the card, The SSS is under par off the white and level off the blue.

if that's the case how is it so hard?

D

Deleted member 3432

Never played it but always fancied it as everyone i know who has say its a beast.

But looking at the card, The SSS is under par off the white and level off the blue.

if that's the case how is it so hard?

I think SSS off the blue is now 73 and off the white the css is normally 72 or higher. Cant remember the last time it was 71 off white.

Give me a shout if you are ever this way

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I think SSS off the blue is now 73 and off the white the css is normally 72 or higher. Cant remember the last time it was 71 off white.

Give me a shout if you are ever this way

got my info of the club website in your signature, Blue Par72/SSS 72 white 72/71 and yellow 72 /70

looks a lovely course may well take you up on that at some point ;)

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Favorite? I've only played it once. Hmmm. I liked the dog leg hole. 5 iron, pitching wedge, two putts. :thup: The first is good....where's the piggin green?!!!!!!!!!!!

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
There are a few blind shots but a wonderful course on a nice day.
Not much to do in the town so we played Penrith and stayed there lovely course and very nice welcome from all at the club.
Siloth is worth the journey fantastic club and course very well run and staff were great I would recommend it.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Really enjoyed the course despite the wind and cold. Would love to play on a nice summers evening with no wind !

Fish and chips were not bad either.

D

Deleted member 3432

got my info of the club website in your signature, Blue Par72/SSS 72 white 72/71 and yellow 72 /70

looks a lovely course may well take you up on that at some point ;)

I'm fairly certain the SSS was recently assessed and should be 73 Blue, 72 White and 70 Yellow. I am going through Friday for a practice session and will pop in and ask Alan the Club Secretary what the situation is. If the club website is wrong it should be updated.

I must admit when I am playing I have a fair idea of what the CSS will be from the wind strength and direction and its usually only going upwards...

Give me a little bit of notice and I will clear my diary:)

D

Deleted member 3432

Really enjoyed the course despite the wind and cold. Would love to play on a nice summers evening with no wind !

Fish and chips were not bad either.

I would love to play it on a nice summers evening with no wind:D

D

Deleted member 3432

Favorite? I've only played it once. Hmmm. I liked the dog leg hole. 5 iron, pitching wedge, two putts. :thup: The first is good....where's the piggin green?!!!!!!!!!!!

Its hiding there somewhere......

Always happy to hit the 1st green in regulation, local knowledge definately needed on how far to carry the 2nd shot depending on conditions of the day. Always amusing to see the classic tactic of members putting from 30 yards short of the green.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
One of my favourites too.

Played it twice, first time in the team open with a few lads from here and it was blowing wild. Second time we played it was on a forum meet and I played very well, 42 points IIRC and a nice scalp with Liverbirdie and Lincoln Quaker treating me and Fairway Dodger to lunch :rofl:

The next day the wind got up for us playing Southerness and that day I think big Paul (Lanark Golfer) called it right in saying

" I do enjoy driveable Par 3's"

:rofl:

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Its hiding there somewhere......

Always happy to hit the 1st green in regulation, local knowledge definately needed on how far to carry the 2nd shot depending on conditions of the day. Always amusing to see the classic tactic of members putting from 30 yards short of the green.

Easy hole for my partner last time out, drive up the middle, fat a shot 20 yards or so then hole out blind from the fairway for easy birdie and 1 up :D