Signing for incorrect card

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site
The card was checked as you would normally. 4 for 3, 5 for 2, etc etc with each hole being correct as it was on my card. What I didn't know at the time was that the fella had wrote two of the scores in the wrong location, yet had marked the correct points. How? You tell me! As a check of the card after showed that we had two points less. I checked with the recorder bloke, but really the damage was done. I also learnt much later that he doesn't normally do the bluddy card but his misses does. No wonder he was all of a dither as he was marking it and had to be told a few times who had scored the points. He still got it wrong but had the right points, so why would I check. Massive lesson learnt. And by Christ it won't happen again.
As indicated above, your responsibility is to check the gross scores only - applying handicaps and determining Stableford points is the Committee's responsibility. Just because "the points are right" doesn't mean the gross scores are right.

RRidges

Visit site
Checking that the essential entered scores are correct is a simple but important part of returning a scorecard. It should only take a a short time, but the consequences of getting it wrong can be costly, notwithstanding that Golf is merely a pastime.
Just spending a little time getting it right can save a lot of frustration.

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site
Checking that the essential entered scores are correct is a simple but important part of returning a scorecard. It should only take a a short time, but the consequences of getting it wrong can be costly, notwithstanding that Golf is merely a pastime.
Just spending a little time getting it right can save a lot of frustration.
"Getting it right" is, or should be, the mantra of all golf officials! Certainly it is with the referees that I work with.

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
Their responsibilites are simple - stroke play -> handicap, 18 individual hole scores, two signatures. Match play -> report the winner.

Plus in four ball stroke play, recording the gross scores such that each score can be be "clearly identified as the score of the individual partner who made it".

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
As indicated above, your responsibility is to check the gross scores only - applying handicaps and determining Stableford points is the Committee's responsibility. Just because "the points are right" doesn't mean the gross scores are right.
I know now? if we'd got the score right we might have just scraped in 5th. Good lord there were some good scores in. 40 points just got you in 40th place ?

RRidges

Visit site
Their responsibilites are simple - stroke play -> handicap, 18 individual hole scores, two signatures. Match play -> report the winner.
So entering the correct score, and by whom, which you don't mention but was pretty much the cause of the thread, is unimportant?!
That, or the lack of it, has been the prompt for this entire thread, which, imo, is now way past it's sell by date! No reply is needed, nor wanted!

Last edited: