Signing for incorrect card

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
So, if a card has been signed and handed in but it has been found out that a score in a 4bb has been entered correctly but in the incorrect column and has been pointed out to the comp recorder as such, does this mean a dq or can the card be classed as ok?

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So, if a card has been signed and handed in but it has been found out that a score in a 4bb has been entered correctly but in the incorrect column and has been pointed out to the comp recorder as such, does this mean a dq or can the card be classed as ok?
Sorry..... but let that go & just where would it end? DQ every time I'm afraid & one of the simplest.

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
You say that the mistake was pointed out to the recorder. The outcome depends on whether that was before or after the time the card is considered to have been returned which should be stated in the Terms of the Competition. If before, the mistake can be corrected. If after, the side is disqualified [Rule 23.2b(2)]

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
One would hope the recorder has taken note and corrected the card.

3.3b(3)/1 – Scores on Scorecard Must Be Identifiable to Correct Hole
Under Rule 3.3b, each hole score on the scorecard must be identifiable to the correct hole.

For example, if a marker enters the player’s front nine scores in the back nine boxes and the back nine scores in the front nine boxes, the scorecard will still be acceptable if the mistake is corrected by altering the hole numbers so that they go with the right score for each hole.

However, if this mistake is not corrected and, as a result, a hole score is lower than actually taken on that hole, the player is disqualified under Rule 3.3b(3).

Steven Rules

Visit site
DQ. Rule 23.2b is the applicable rule for filling out a scorecard in four ball.

Side’s Scorecard in Stroke Play
(1) Side’s Responsibility. The side's gross scores for each hole must be entered on a single scorecard and, in a handicap competition, each partner's handicap must be entered on the scorecard.
For each hole:
The gross score of at least one partner must be entered on the scorecard.
There is no penalty for entering more than one partner's score on the scorecard.
Each score on the scorecard must be clearly identified as the score of the individual partner who made it; if this is not done, the side is disqualified.
It is not enough to identify a score as the score of the side in general.

RRidges

Visit site
More info describing the precise circumstances is really needed. And that assumes it is a 4bbb competition as opposed to a match.

Swango1980

Visit site
Of course 4bbb match play would not have or need a scorecard.
I'm guessing it wasn't matchplay, but a team of 4 event, where the best 2 scores count on each hole (a common format in many club Opens). I'm also guessing the person marking the card put the wrong player scores in the wrong columns, thus the person checking the card afterwards could not tie up the gross scores and stableford points on each hole against the player handicaps?

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm guessing it wasn't matchplay, but a team of 4 event, where the best 2 scores count on each hole (a common format in many club Opens). I'm also guessing the person marking the card put the wrong player scores in the wrong columns, thus the person checking the card afterwards could not tie up the gross scores and stableford points on each hole against the player handicaps?

OP said it was a 4BBB. If that was the case then post#6 covers it.

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site
Just put all the gross scores on the card and let the recorder sort it. Additions and Stableford points are the responsibility of the Committee.

Swango1980

Visit site
Just put all the gross scores on the card and let the recorder sort it. Additions and Stableford points are the responsibility of the Committee.
That is obvious, but it doesn't work too well if the gross scores are put in the wrong columns for each player. And, given the whole point of the OP was that scores were in the wrong columns, then it leads me to think that there is a good chance the Committee were unable to fulfil their responsibility of getting the correct final score, hence the DQ.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
This very much depends on the exact circumstances and what the comp was

E.g. if it was 4BBB stableford and both players actually had the same gross but with one player getting a shot and the other not and the gross was recorded in the column for the person who did not get a shot the results stands as recorded on the card with no penalty just one point less than would have been had it been recorded correctly.

I.e. If the gross score in the wrong column was what that player actually took then there is no penalty.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
By the way do you mean the score on one hole or the scores on every hole?

Eg two Jim's as partners as the marker got confused as to which Jim was which.

Swango1980

Visit site
This very much depends on the exact circumstances and what the comp was

E.g. if it was 4BBB stableford and both players actually had the same gross but with one player getting a shot and the other not and the gross was recorded in the column for the person who did not get a shot the results stands as recorded on the card with no penalty just one point less than would have been had it been recorded correctly.

I.e. If the gross score in the wrong column was what that player actually took then there is no penalty.
That would be OK though, as both the gross scores are the same anyway. Your issue just seems to be the players incorrectly worked out points, which they cannot be DQed for.

I was thinking more among the lines that, for example, the Committee (or the players) marked the names at the top, so let us say Player A was Steve and Player B was Dave. However Dave marked the card, and he put all his scores under Player A and Steve's under Player B, as it is natural for him to mark himself 1st. Hands card in, but Committee cannot work out why all points are wrong, and difficult to tell who's score is who's.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site

Were the gross scores not cross-checked with the marker at the end of the round?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Been caught out on this in the past. 4BBB comp - on one hole my score counted as I got a shot where my playing partner didn't - but marker put my score in my PPs column by mistake. We had checked the number of stableford points was correct but we never noticed the mistake when we signed and submitted the card. Even though our marker recognised his mistake after the fact - tough. Our total pts was corrected in line with the score AS RECORDED and so reduced by one. We lost out on a prize.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
The card was checked as you would normally. 4 for 3, 5 for 2, etc etc with each hole being correct as it was on my card. What I didn't know at the time was that the fella had wrote two of the scores in the wrong location, yet had marked the correct points. How? You tell me! As a check of the card after showed that we had two points less. I checked with the recorder bloke, but really the damage was done. I also learnt much later that he doesn't normally do the bluddy card but his misses does. No wonder he was all of a dither as he was marking it and had to be told a few times who had scored the points. He still got it wrong but had the right points, so why would I check. Massive lesson learnt. And by Christ it won't happen again.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
That would be OK though, as both the gross scores are the same anyway. Your issue just seems to be the players incorrectly worked out points, which they cannot be DQed for.

I was thinking more among the lines that, for example, the Committee (or the players) marked the names at the top, so let us say Player A was Steve and Player B was Dave. However Dave marked the card, and he put all his scores under Player A and Steve's under Player B, as it is natural for him to mark himself 1st. Hands card in, but Committee cannot work out why all points are wrong, and difficult to tell who's score is who's.

We have had a couple of problems at our club whereby the teams had labels printed which did not show player A and player B. and it obscured the markings on the card. Players had come from clubs with a different style of card to ours and they had transposed the two scores. We decided to just transpose the names as it could be considered a committee error.