Should you get relief from a divot on the fairway?

Should you get relief from a divot on the f/way (in std play, no preferred lies)

• No

Votes: 70 58.8%
  • Yes - a free drop

Votes: 35 29.4%
  • Yes - place the ball

Votes: 14 11.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
D

Deleted Member 1156

I always carry some green tees and when my PP's aren't looking I peg my ball up. I often get complimented on my ball striking :thup:

matt71

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Yes only until people replace the divots, drives me insane when they don't! Same goes for repairing pitch marks on the green too ( it only takes a second to fix)

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
amazed that over half (so far) want a free lift and drop/place..............it's golf, rub of the green, same for everyone, learn how to play from a divot and don't moan about it, it makes you a better player:thup:

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
Although its annoying to land in a divot it is part of the game, its the same as landing in an unraked bunker, maybe we should have another poll, should there be a lift and rake option in a bunker?

Its all just rub of the green really, have a little moan under you breath and then play the shot.

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Although its annoying to land in a divot it is part of the game, its the same as landing in an unraked bunker, maybe we should have another poll, should there be a lift and rake option in a bunker?

Its all just rub of the green really, have a little moan under you breath and then play the shot.

A bunker is a hazard so not really comparable to the fairway. I do agree however that while both are annoying, you should just get on with it.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
My ball landed in a divot where the end part was still attached [ hinged ] to the ground, my ball was right under the flap, but I had to play it, making the divot deeper and longer but unattached.:whistle:

Last edited:

Scooby999

Club Champion
Visit site
You asked a straight forward question. And got a variety of excuses/responses, I replace my divots and we also carry seed /earth bags. If I see someone not replacing a divot I remind them politely, likewise raking a bunker it's not that fecking hard. There is nothing worse than landing in a divot. Ideally yes you should get relief but as stated earlier who would decide!

If we all take care of the course then we wouldn't get this problem, ps replacing divots in the rough should also be carried out

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
We have seed bags rotating round the course for members to fill in divots on that hole. If the problem really lies with societies then I suggest the cub needs to be reiterating the need to repair to the society organiser and when players arrive on the day. Either way no excuse whoever is to blame and no different to raking a bunker of repairing a pitchmark

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
What do you think the effect would be on the game of golf if Preferred lies were in operation all year round?

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Prob not, you did get relief from a seeded divot a couple of years ago, but that rule changed.

it does seem a shame when the greenstaff have just repaired one and you go and dig it out again;)

cookelad

Tour Winner
Visit site

Agree!

Can't remember the last time I played from a divot, (guess what I'll be doing all next weekend!) maybe it's karma because I always replace mine - more for the health and safety factor really wouldn't want someone falling in and not being able to get back out!