Should Tiger call it a day?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think this is what he should do. He needs an exemption for the US Open, but that wouldn't be a problem as many people have had them in the past.

His 2019 Masters win still gives him exemptions in to the majors.

There was a time when it was 10 year exemption but I believe it is now 5.

In his interview he confirmed his commitment to playing in this years majors.

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
Tiger isn't nearly as focused as he was in his heyday. He spends loads of time with his kids doing their thing. When he was untouchable, nothing distracted him.

For me, I would like to see him tour the world at a more leisurely pace. Play on the worldwide tours and get people interested in golf who don't usually. He is still box office and will 100% draw the crowds. Africa/Asia/Australasia and South America would be amazing.

His focus will be the majors and trying to compete in them for sure but I can't see him winning one again.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
If he no longer has it in him, primarily from a fitness perspective, to be competitive, then I think he will perhaps give retirement some serious consideration. I know he made the cut, but he still finished 27 shots adrift, which would suggest four rounds is now just too much, especially in an environment like Augusta.

As for him playing the Seniors Tour, I just can’t see it.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Tiger isn't nearly as focused as he was in his heyday. He spends loads of time with his kids doing their thing. When he was untouchable, nothing distracted him.

For me, I would like to see him tour the world at a more leisurely pace. Play on the worldwide tours and get people interested in golf who don't usually. He is still box office and will 100% draw the crowds. Africa/Asia/Australasia and South America would be amazing.

His focus will be the majors and trying to compete in them for sure but I can't see him winning one again.
Apart from other ladies! Imagine how good he would have been if he was actually practising when he told his wife he was off down the range :ROFLMAO:

evemccc

Visit site
Having watched Tiger for a few holes from v close range and close to no crowds at Lytham in 96 when he was an amateur, and was all smiles, I have no interest in watching him now - even on TV - as he struggles / hobbles round

I find little interesting about him and almost nothing exciting about him and his golf. Don’t think he’s a likeable nor a charismatic person whatsoever…just don’t get the appeal 🤷🏻‍♂️

Reemul

Head Pro
Visit site
👆This…..He’s made 24 straight Masters cuts and won fifteen Majors. There’s no possibility of ‘tainting his legacy’.
If youngsters don’t know how great he was, tell them to google it. The young don’t know anything anyway.
He’s 49 and Tom Watson almost won The Open at 59. Keep on keeping on Eldrick.
In my eyes hae has tainted his legacy, his whole treamtment of his wife and kids and attitude towards the hookers makes it impossible to say he's the guy, be like him, win at all costs including sleeping around and treating those closest to you like crap. i've been holding my sons up to that already, the 14 year old had 4 kids and the 17 year old is divorced twice.

ADB

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I’d rather he played all Majors rather than teeing up against all the washed up pros on the Seniors Tour. Still think he has something to offer and by making the cut at the masters shows he is still competitive.

I’d say the Open at St Andrews in 2027 could potentially be a suitable date to hang up the clubs

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I’d rather he played all Majors rather than teeing up against all the washed up pros on the Seniors Tour. Still think he has something to offer and by making the cut at the masters shows he is still competitive.

I’d say the Open at St Andrews in 2027 could potentially be a suitable date to hang up the clubs

Also adds something for the crowds

How many parents might want to follow him for a couple holes to show their kids their hero play

Yeah we have the morals of tiger but for a kid who's better to look at and say wow even after all those ops he has never given up

ExRabbit

Club Champion
Visit site
His 2019 Masters win still gives him exemptions in to the majors.

There was a time when it was 10 year exemption but I believe it is now 5.

In his interview he confirmed his commitment to playing in this years majors.
I thought that at first as he won The Masters in 2019, and 5 years takes you to 2024, but it is for the next 5 events from there onwards, which was 2019-2023 for the remaining 3 majors. Basically, his 5 year exemption is up 5 years after the day he won it. He is qualified for life for the PGA and up to 60 years of age for The Open, so it is just The US Open he needs an invite for.

Last edited:

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Tiger reminds me of the alpha Lion that don’t want to step down from the head of the pride. He still has so much to offer golf Ut not as a world class golfer. It won’t be long before he is playing second fiddle to his son.

ExRabbit

Club Champion
Visit site
If Tiger was to win another major, he would be the oldest major winner ever.
This would be tough to do with no injuries, nigh on impossible with Tiger's history
'With his win at the 2021 PGA Championship, Mickelson became the oldest major championship winner in history at the age of 50 years, 11 months, and 7 days.'

He can't beat that until he is 51 - 3 years away.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I thought that at first as he won The Masters in 2019, and 5 years takes you to 2024, but it is for the next 5 events from there onwards, which was 2019-2023 for the remaining 3 majors. Basically, his 5 year exemption is up 5 years after the day he won it. He is qualified for life for the PGA and up to 60 years of age for The Open, so it is just The US Open he needs an invite for.
I'm not sure this is worth worrying about. I'm quite sure that if Tiger says he wants to play the US Open, then he'll be in the US Open.

PaulMdj

Visit site

Surely there’s a big difference between making the cut and being competitive?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Surely there’s a big difference between making the cut and being competitive?
Making the cut was a challenge in itself, and he was 5 above the cut line in the end I think?

I think he's still competitive in a golfing sense, it's just in the physical sense his body is letting him down.

Edit: Just noticed Finau shot an 80 and was only 3 shots ahead of Tiger. Doubt anyone is telling him to pack it in.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Making the cut was a challenge in itself, and he was 5 above the cut line in the end I think?

I think he's still competitive in a golfing sense, it's just in the physical sense his body is letting him down.

Edit: Just noticed Finau shot an 80 and was only 3 shots ahead of Tiger. Doubt anyone is telling him to pack it in.
Their situations are very different though

PaulMdj

Visit site

Absolutely he probably believes mentally he can compete, but as you say physically he looks shot (imo).

I don’t think he’d ever be happy just making the cut.

I find it sad that the greatest player we’ve ever witnessed is content not being in contention on a sunday and simply making up the numbers.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Absolutely he probably believes mentally he can compete, but as you say physically he looks shot (imo).

I don’t think he’d ever be happy just making the cut.

I find it sad that the greatest player we’ve ever witnessed is content not being in contention on a sunday and simply making up the numbers.
I don't think he's content at all, I'm sure he was very peed off. He's always said he only tees it up because he believes he can win. I wonder if his attitude in that sense will soften over time, or whether he'll still be believing he can win majors at age 55 etc... would be bordering on delusion by then. But if he doesn't then I guess we won't be seeing him at the Masters for years to come like Sandy Lyle, Couples, Langer and so on.