Nick Dougherty - Time To Call It A day ?

DCB

Visit site
I see that poor Nick Dougherty has managed to post a +13 score after his opening round at Valderrama. His standing in The Race To Dubai shows that after 29 starts he has won only 10600Euro. For someone who was once the next great hope, he seems to have gone into freefall recently. What next for Nick ?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
It's still there somewhere.
He had a sparkilng round a few weeks ago so he can still do it. There's obviously something going on between the ears that's stopping the flow of the mind - probably imagining our Di in a compromising position doesn't help..!!

T

thecraw

It's still there somewhere.
He had a sparkilng round a few weeks ago so he can still do it. There's obviously something going on between the ears that's stopping the flow of the mind - probably imagining our Di in a compromising position with Robert Lee and Andy Coltart doesn't help..!!

My God! You just cant come out with things like that!

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Thats a shame to hear, I hope he gets all that spaghetti sorted out in his head and just swing.

Marko77

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
+13 for a pro must rank as embarrasing albeit Valderamma is known for being one of the tougher tracks.

He obviously has the talent in him, you just have to wonder why he's in such a slump?

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
What next for Nick ?

Plumbing? Nice job at HSBC? Burger flipping?

What is going on.....truly catastrophic

george_w_bush_golfing_300x416.jpg

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
He can still play. He just needs a few weeks/months off to clear his head and straighten himself out and he will be back. Look at Westwood, dropped down to 400+ in the world.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Like others have said players can go through big dips in their career. The hope is that they can play out of them and don't end in terminal decline. I think he still has the potential to be a reasonable tour pro but has he really got the desire. He's got a beautiful wife with her own career on the up, has money in his account and is young enough to look to diversify. Maybe he just needs the winter break to consolidate and come back out next season. Personally I'd like to see him do well again

Mary

Head Pro
Visit site
I think he was hit really hard by the death of his mother. Agree with Homer, that a winter of consolidation may be just what he needs. I think it would be really sad to see him disappear at a relatively young age in golfing terms.

MizunoGreyhound

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Damn it!!!!

I was hoping the original post was by the lovely Di.............

Oh well:rolleyes:

On a more serious note, I would wish him well and hope he gets his head right. Seems a downright decent bloke and always used to have a smile on his face. Come on Nick!!

ArnoldArmChewer

Tour Winner
Visit site
He seems a nice lad, but must be very uncomfortable to see your name virtually rank last for two rounds week in and week out, perhaps he should consider sky punditry as a new career?

Lollfred

Head Pro
Visit site
I think he was hit really hard by the death of his mother. Agree with Homer, that a winter of consolidation may be just what he needs. I think it would be really sad to see him disappear at a relatively young age in golfing terms.

Totally agree with you there, been/am in the same boat and it's very tough for some, pro sportsman or not, he is human after all. Wish him all the best, and I'm sure being married to Di will help .... :)

Laughing Gravy

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Perhaps The Di & Nick Golf show beckons.

Does seem a genuinley good bloke and at the end of the day he does get chance to pack up his troubles and head back to Di for a bit of comfort!!