Should those in the public eye resign for breaking lockdown rules?

D

Deleted member 16999

just wanted to put a different spin on it. We are all appalled because of his job and position of his behaviour and want him sacked. But we are in same way happy to stand by and watch 400plus on a beach, 200 at a rave in Leeds, 200 plus in a village near Me on motorbikes all sat about in groups eating Ice cream on a village green etc and not want any action of any kind. And yes I don’t agree with what he did but I do understand why, well the trip up there as for rest mmmmm but to loose your job over protecting your child, I’m sorry no.
But if you want to put a different spin on it you could say he made a bad call as him and his wife didn’t get ill enough to be unable to look after the kid and it would of been ok if he’d of stayed in London, so do we really want someone making panicy, knee jerk reactions involved at the top end in Government.:unsure:

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
But if you want to put a different spin on it you could say he made a bad call as him and his wife didn’t get ill enough to be unable to look after the kid and it would of been ok if he’d of stayed in London, so do we really want someone making panicy, knee jerk reactions involved at the top end in Government.:unsure:
And someone who tests his eyesight by going for a drive.
Think that’s worse than the drive to Durham.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So a guy who in a state of panic travels with his family to protect his child in a worst case scenario. The media have hated him from day one so drum a hysteria against him dragging along the public and we all want him sacked for his mistake In which he thinks he did the right thing. Never went near anyone so minimal risk.

What about the fact that he left work because his wife thought that she might have the virus and then later that day returned to work rather than doing what the guidelines stated to isolate at home for 14 days?

Wildboy370

skiptongolfclub.co.uk
What about the fact that he left work because his wife thought that she might have the virus and then later that day returned to work rather than doing what the guidelines stated to isolate at home for 14 days?

and the 400 on the beach are all now in isolation ? Probably half back at work with no idea of what they may or may not have. We can keep hitting the guy with a big stick, but So so many others just do what they want and press and most others just leave them alone. That’s all I was pointing out.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
So a guy who in a state of panic travels with his family to protect his child in a worst case scenario. The media have hated him from day one so drum a hysteria against him dragging along the public and we all want him sacked for his mistake In which he thinks he did the right thing. Never went near anyone so minimal risk.
so did we get the 400 Plus people’s names and job sat on the beaches yesterday deliberately flouting rules knowingly, with a major risk to public health, so we can demand they are all sacked too. Or is it one rule for him and one rule for the masses ?

You say he never went near anyone so minimal risk, that's not true, the day he went back to work after seeing his wife he was putting people at risk. He should have self isolated for 7 days at that point.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
just wanted to put a different spin on it. We are all appalled because of his job and position of his behaviour and want him sacked. But we are in same way happy to stand by and watch 400plus on a beach, 200 at a rave in Leeds, 200 plus in a village near Me on motorbikes all sat about in groups eating Ice cream on a village green etc and not want any action of any kind. And yes I don’t agree with what he did but I do understand why, well the trip up there as for rest mmmmm but to loose your job over protecting your child, I’m sorry no.
To be honest, if every single one of the 400 plus on the beach had received a fine, I wouldn't have shed a tear. We haven't been out anywhere despite the occassionaly gorgeous weather.
However, and this is not excusing them, Cummings position is one that people look at and if he is seen (or perceived to be seen which may be the case) flaunting, stretching or incorrectly interpreting the rules to his own end, it makes the job of enforcing this so much more difficult.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
For what it's worth, my MP - Jeremy Hunt - thinks Cummings broke the rules in multiple ways, and though he is not going to be asking for Cummings to be sacked, as a member of the Liaison Committee he will today be pressing the PM on this issue. I know this as I wrote to him and yesterday he replied.

And if you wanted to get a feeling on how some ministers feel about the situation then Jenrick on Today this morning made it very clear that he would not answer a straight question on the matter with a straight answer. Could Cummings wife not have driven? Could #10 not have sent a car? Jenrick not going to comment on the specific circumstances of any individual.

As for Hancock's '...we'll look into it..' at the briefing yesterday in respect of others fined for doing very similar things as Cummings? Well Jenrick tells listeners that they've looked into it and it's a matter for the police applying the rule of law and not for the government to interfere.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
What people do now could be argued a consequence of whats happened.

We were all told these were challenging times the likes of which we haven't had since WW2, everyone would have to make sacrifices and follow the stay home saves lives mantra.
He may have driven non-stop in his car to Durham, but anything could have happened on the way...he could have been involved in an accident, broken down or anything. Do they then have to send out personel in NBC suits to rescue him or do they just contaminate anyone who is sent to help?
Not once has he apologised to the millions who have made sacrifices and even more so those in the front line staff risking their health dealing with it.
He has made our Government a laughing stock, the likes of which Jim Henson would be proud of.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Does anyone think that England's chances of having a larger than expected second wave of Covid have been increased by the actions of Johnson and Cummings in the last 14 days.
And......before the usual suspects get back on their high horses remember that health is a devolved issue within the UK.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Does anyone think that England's chances of having a larger than expected second wave of Covid have been increased by the actions of Johnson and Cummings in the last 14 days.
And......before the usual suspects get back on their high horses remember that health is a devolved issue within the UK.
Possibly but the people who are already doing what they want don’t watch the news imo.
Most people doing the right thing won’t change that because of Cummings.
But people are changing what they do now but not because of this.
It might change their excuse if they are pulled by the police as now everyone will “ be looking for childcare”.
Or “Testing their eyesight”

D

Deleted member 15344

Why just England ? Are the other nations immune to people going out ignoring the restrictions ? What about the scientist in Scotland who broke the lockdown - did that increase the chances of a second wave. Johnson is the Prime Minister for the whole of UK

The second wave was supposed to hit when we relaxed restrictions 3 weeks ago it hasn’t happened , the idea of second waves havent really happened around the world when restrictions are being relaxed

It doesn’t matter what Cummings or Johnson do people on the whole are continuing to observe the restrictions put in place , there are the odd minority who will abuse it but that’s been the case since day one.

It’s time to move past what happened and looked to the next stage of easing restrictions which have already been announced in part.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Possibly but the people who are already doing what they want don’t watch the news imo.
Most people doing the right thing won’t change that because of Cummings.
But people are changing what they do now but not because of this.
It might change their excuse if they are pulled by the police as now everyone will “ be looking for childcare”.
Or “Testing their eyesight”

Can you imagine the reaction of the police if they stopped you in height of the lockdown (mid-April), asked you what the purpose if your journey was, and you said "I'm testing my eyesight"?

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Well rest assured I wasn’t trying to draw you in to anything, you come across as an intelligent person who tends to follow politics and keeps up to date, therefore I am still bewildered at your lack of knowledge about Jenrick and await your response with anticipation and a pinch of suspense.

P.S. No insults were included or intended in this post.:geek:
Sorry for the late reply, it was my Birthday yesterday so went for a long walk on the Malvern hills with my wife followed by a lovely meal she made me in the evening, also catching up with my family on video conferencing, I have children and grandchildren in a number of countries.

Regarding these MPs, I know I had been digging about Kinnock and was being somewhat sarcastic in saying he should resign but my point is that a number in parliament have been doing things that stretch the rules but seems to me Cummings is getting the lions share of attention when hes no worse or better than the others.
They all have excuses to offer when exposed and in just about every case the excuses are open to subjectivity. My personal opinion is that none of them are resigning cases but should have recieved a ticking off for not using better judgement, this includes Cummings, I am of the opinion the amount of outrage along with the media having a feeding frenzy has got out of kilter with what happened.

That's my view on the lot of them, they should have been more aware of the possible outcomes but hand on heart I wouldnt condemn anyone for doing what they felt was best for their families.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Can you imagine the reaction of the police if they stopped you in height of the lockdown (mid-April), asked you what the purpose if your journey was, and you said "I'm testing my eyesight"?
But he didnt say he was just testing his eyesight. He said he wanted to check his fitness to drive. I think he said his wife had concerns for his eyesight, he wasnt stopped by the Police either.

D

Deleted member 16999

Sorry for the late reply, it was my Birthday yesterday so went for a long walk on the Malvern hills with my wife followed by a lovely meal she made me in the evening, also catching up with my family on video conferencing, I have children and grandchildren in a number of countries.

Regarding these MPs, I know I had been digging about Kinnock and was being somewhat sarcastic in saying he should resign but my point is that a number in parliament have been doing things that stretch the rules but seems to me Cummings is getting the lions share of attention when hes no worse or better than the others.
They all have excuses to offer when exposed and in just about every case the excuses are open to subjectivity. My personal opinion is that none of them are resigning cases but should have recieved a ticking off for not using better judgement, this includes Cummings, I am of the opinion the amount of outrage along with the media having a feeding frenzy has got out of kilter with what happened.

That's my view on the lot of them, they should have been more aware of the possible outcomes but hand on heart I wouldnt condemn anyone for doing what they felt was best for their families.
Apart from your first paragraph.

My take on the rest is that Jenrick (he you could not mention) has left you with egg on your face and instead of acknowledging what he did you now claim your Kinnock posts were simply sarcastic and all of them should be treated with a ticking off.

So the level of the person and the responsibility of the position they hold are irrelevant.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Apart from your first paragraph.

My take on the rest is that Jenrick (he you could not mention) has left you with egg on your face and instead of acknowledging what he did you now claim your Kinnock posts were simply sarcastic and all of them should be treated with a ticking off.

So the level of the person and the responsibility of the position they hold are irrelevant.
I dont understand why you think I have any problems with condemning Jenrick, he means absolutely nothing to me, just like Kinnock and the two or three Labour MPs who's names I cannot be bothered to look up.

I dont feel like I have egg on my face, you have been pressing me on giving an opinion and I've given it. OK, it doesnt seem to suit what you want me to say but it's my opinion and that's the end of it as far as I'm concerned. Matter closed.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
People are just people. All have faults and foibles. Their 'perceived' status should have no bearing on other's judgements of their personal life decisions. Whilst I may or may not approve of my next door neighbour's actions, they have no more or less influence on mine than your's, Nicola Sturgeons's or the Queen's.