Should there be a break after a Major ?

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 15344

I see the ET aren’t playing this week ( suspect that’s down to lack of sponser for an event ) but the PGA are at Harbour Town

But it all seems and feels a bit flat - so should they have a week off after a major ? Should there be a natural break just to recharge etc

User20204

Visit site
Had Molinari won last week things wouldn't be flat, or should I say had Tiger not won last week things wouldn't be so flat, think the world is just starting to settle down after last Sunday.

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
Don’t think so.

PGA are in the fortunate position of having sponsors available for tournaments pretty much every week (“wraparound” season I think they call it) so be daft to turn it down.

Also players at the lower end of the food chain on the main tour(s) suffer enough through lack of chances at big money events, if some more places are available to them the week after a major then it’s only a good thing imo.

Wolf

Visit site
No need for a break at all, life and golf goes on post major weeks. ET doesn't have event as likelihood is couldn't get a sponsor for the following week as big names will still be stateside so they take a week of before going to a lesser event next week in Morocco. But even then these lower tiered events I find really good to watch as we see players we don't often get to hear about.

As for PGA TOUR I'd say post masters week is really good for them. The RBC has some big names this week, DJ, Spieth, DeChambeau, Schauffle then add in European players Molinari, Fleetwood,. Donald, Eddie Pepperell, then factor in Harbour Town links being a stunning venue that often provides good golf I'm failing to see where the downside of this event the week after the Masters is.

Swingalot

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Got to agree with LP. I normally watch golf on tv no matter what, but could not get into it tonight at all. Maybe The Masters was just too good last week, making anything else so soon pretty pointless.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
They can have a break any time they like.....as long as they fulfill their appearance requirements.
Pretty much guarantee that if Frankie had won last weekend he wouldn't be playing this week.

inc0gnito

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I feel like there’s already too much. The shear volume of the schedule means most tour events lose any specialness to them [for me]. Less is more imo.

DCB

Visit site
The way the PGA TOUR is going, there soon won't be a break at all. They have managed to orchestrate the move of the 4th Major of the year so that ther is a better run in for the FedEx Cup events. Once the Fed Ex final is played there seems to be no time at all before the start of a new season. A break after a Major would be a water week 😉

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
No, there are certainly enough good players to provide a decent field and it’s obviously an ideal time of year to play golf.

Don’t see why they would take a week off unless players and sponsors stopped showing up.

The week after a major can catch a decent field, especially the Masters when you have a lot of decent players who’ve not been at the Masters and a good number of Europeans who will stay over for another week.

Likewise after the Open, some high profile Americans played in Germany the following week.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
In my opinion no. Given the masters is invite or ore qualification , why do the lower ranked players need a week unpaid
Agreed. Providing the event attracts the sponsorship and/or TV coverage then as you say, give the lower players a chance to earn some cash and go towards retaining their cards. Look at a number of European events over the summer before or after a major. They aren't always stellar fields but still decent events and of course win and you get exemption. Play well and you get cash towards your card. Seems perfectly reasonable