Should the Olympics Be Cancelled

teetime72

Head Pro
Visit site
Due to the economic mess we now find ourselves in,which is
unlikely to be resolved any time soon,can we justify spending billions of pounds at a time when small businesses
are going to the wall and people losing their jobs.

My own view is that now is the time to cancel,and give the Games a permanent home in Greece,with each participating
country paying (according to size?)towards the upkeep of the games sites.

Let`s face it the country is damn near bankrupt and the Gov.
want to spend 15/20 billion(I doubt it will cost less by the time it is finished)of money we haven`t got on games.

Paris must be giving a huge sigh of relief now at missing out.

Dave3498

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Couldn't agree more. I haven't met anyone who was overjoyed when GB won the bid. We all know it's going to be over budget and consequently a big drain on us as taxpayers. Every celebrity there ever was will be coming out of the cupboard to get involved an receive their cut, and were we asked? No.

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
HID has decided that we will go to watch the Olympics. I'm not entirely against this (we were among those who actually went to the Dome) but do wonder if we will be priced out as were the Chinese and as we will be for the Ryder Cup. I think I have got her to understand that we will have very little chance of watching what we want to watch rather than going where the vacant seats are.

I'm not so sure about a permanent home in Greece, I'm more persuaded by the idea of getting the Olympics back down to a manageable and meaningful event (only those events with objective measurements,longest, fastest, etc)

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I agree with all of the above but its not going to happen. The embarressment will far outweigh the cost. And anyway they'll find the money from somwhere. if they can find 500 billion just like that then 15-20 shouldn't be a problem. Except for anyone needing services from central government!!

Also if they retest all the samples taken for this new form of EPO the games could have as much kudos as the Tour De France so nobody will care anyway. I'd love to think that the majority of athletes out there are clean but with ex-champ sprinter Tim Montgomery re-jailed for heroin peddling there has to be some more doubt.

The biggest problem with the 2112 games is that we wont do as well as we did this time round. Sorry to say it but we were just lucky in a number of events. If we can't spend the same amount of time and money on our games we're going to fall flat on our faces.

Go on Team GB - prove me wrong.............

thomas1981

Club Champion
Visit site
Agree with all points made,complete waste of money. Plus there is no way we can follow the show the chinese put on,even if there was no economic crisis.

imurg,2112 games.Plenty of time to get things ready then ;)

evita4

Head Pro
Visit site
Coming from up t'North I can't say I am very pleased with my money being spent to rejuvenate areas of the South East. The games may as well be in France for all the impact it will have in this area.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Controversial I know, but since Londonners support the rest of the UK to the tune of about £1500 per person per year, If you live outside London, we are not spending your money on the games, we are spending ours.

Don't wan't to spend it, but it isn't your money.

toyboy54

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Teetime72.What a good(and sensible)point!!You're right about one thing though...the costs won't be coming down!!
Will certainly go up(and up AND UP etc,etc,)
That money....does it even exist any more?...should be used
for the people not a flag waving ideaology(what a big word on a Sat. night!)

shanker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Controversial I know, but since Londonners support the rest of the UK to the tune of about £1500 per person per year, If you live outside London, we are not spending your money on the games, we are spending ours.

Don't wan't to spend it, but it isn't your money.
I'm not an economist but wonder how Murph works this out. Look forward to his analysis.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
sorry, but up until the last two weeks, London subsidises the rest of the UK, including Scotland (bear in mind the oil isn't that greater income).If they want the olympics, let them have it. People don't realise how much of the economy is supported by the Capital.

Out of interest, I am not a Londonner either. Just look up the figures and see the daylight.

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
sorry, but up until the last two weeks, London subsidises the rest of the UK, including Scotland (bear in mind the oil isn't that greater income).If they want the olympics, let them have it. People don't realise how much of the economy is supported by the Capital.

Out of interest, I am not a Londonner either. Just look up the figures and see the daylight.
If this is the case, then is there any chance the residents of london could hurry the feck up and re tarmac our street, its been around 5 years over due, we could have hade a whip round locally if we'd have known it was going to take this long. :D