Should i try clubs before i buy?

TelTel84

Visit site
Hi everyone, i am new to the golf monthly forum and am hoping to gain some good information and knowledge in the future.

I am thinking of getting a brand new set of Callaway irons (5-SW) from golf bidder.
My question is, is it advisable for me to try out the golf clubs at say American golf if they stock the same clubs before purchasing?
Has anyone chanced their arm and just bought new anyway without trying out?

Look forward to hearing from you.

Tel

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
welcome

think you get 7 days to return with golfbidder if not happy so could buy them and send them back if theyre not for you,

Last edited by a moderator:

TelTel84

Visit site
welcome

think you get 7 days to return with golfbidder if not happy so could buy them and send them back if theyre not for you, am sure someone will be along to confirm soon

Thank you for the prompt response. I will double check with Golf bidder aswell for confirmation on their behalf. I borrowed a friend of mines Callaway clubs last year and really felt connected with them. The clubs i have aren't anything special so an investment is much needed in order to push forward and step my game up another level.

TelTel84

Visit site
welcome

think you get 7 days to return with golfbidder if not happy so could buy them and send them back if theyre not for you, am sure someone will be along to confirm soon

Refund is only on USED clubs from golf bidder.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-06-25 at 22.37.28.png
    Screen Shot 2020-06-25 at 22.37.28.png
    76.1 KB · Views: 3

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I would never buy clubs without playing with at least a demo iron first.
If your going to AG give them the chance to price match.
Buying clubs online is fine but you can’t beat the advice from a pro imo.
A fitting might stop you wasting your money on clubs that don’t suit you.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yes and no.

If you're buying brand new clubs it's probably worth getting a fitting done to make sure you're getting something that's right for you. After all, they cost enough money new that it's worth getting it right.

For second hand stuff you often don't really get the opportunity, but luckily they cost less so you can normally sell them on without making much of a loss, if any loss at all, if you use them for 3 months and decide they're not for you. I've often done this myself, buy a second hand club, try it for a few months, sell it on and use the cash to pay for something different to try.

Or as mentioned earlier, Golfbidder do a 7 day trial so you can send it back if you have a round and don't like the club(s). But one round isn't much to judge on in my opinion.

Last edited:

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Yes and no.

If you're buying brand new clubs it's probably worth getting a fitting done to make sure you're getting something that's right for you. After all, they cost enough money new that it's worth getting it right.

For second hand stuff you often don't really get the opportunity, but luckily they cost less so you can normally sell them on without making much of a loss, if any loss at all, if you use them for 3 months and decide they're not for you. I've often done this myself, but a second hand club, try it for a few months, sell it on and use the cash to pay for something different to try.

Or as mentioned earlier, Golfbidder do a 7 day trial so you can send it back if you have a round and don't like the club(s). But one round isn't much to judge on in my opinion.

Do AG have a money back guarantee? Hitting a few balls off a mat would tell me nothing. For some reason I struggle to hit irons well at the range even when I'm hitting them well on the course.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Yeah if you have the opportunity to try first then why not… but if you have zero intent to buy from them then why use AG’s facilities. Even if GB are a wee bit cheaper the ability to try something first has to be worth something to you
Personally I’ve never really tried clubs first, just because of the lack of opportunity to do so but if I could I would

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
Not a good idea for a beginner to buy brand new clubs. Golf clubs normally don't deteriorate with moderate use &, if you are buying online, the 7 day return facility is really valuable. If you buy used clubs & don't get on with them you can often get most of your money back by selling on E Bay.

Fabia999

Visit site
I take my chance on single clubs, wedge or a hybrid or something (both bought from golfbidder, so had the option to return) and I've never bought one I didn't enjoy. I personally wouldn't buy more expensive clubs (full set of irons or a driver) without giving them a go. I'm waiting to go back to a shop to fit a new driver.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I bought my current irons (Ping I) from Golfbidder unseen but had seen they were blue dot (what I had last been tested as) and knew what shafts were in them and that they were standard length. When I went to the store (I had been to Silvermere anyway) and got them they were virtually unmarked. Definitely better than the 7/10 description so there are bargains to be had.

TelTel84

Visit site
Yes and no.

For second hand stuff you often don't really get the opportunity, but luckily they cost less so you can normally sell them on without making much of a loss, if any loss at all, if you use them for 3 months and decide they're not for you. I've often done this myself, buy a second hand club, try it for a few months, sell it on and use the cash to pay for something different to try.

Thats a very good point there about getting clubs and sell if they aren't for me at well a minimal loss worse case scenario. I have emailed American Golf and hopefully I get a response within the next couple of days or so. If I don't hear from them come Monday then I shall take a drive to AG and speak to them in person.

I see your from Watford, my Parents live in Aldenham. I'm from Stevenage.

TelTel84

Visit site
I bought my current irons (Ping I) from Golfbidder unseen but had seen they were blue dot (what I had last been tested as) and knew what shafts were in them and that they were standard length. When I went to the store (I had been to Silvermere anyway) and got them they were virtually unmarked. Definitely better than the 7/10 description so there are bargains to be had.

I mean to be honest my clubs don't have to be Brand new. Going by what you've said I may just have another look through GB for an average of 7/10 rating and bite the bullet. I have a few options anyway what with other members comments on here so all the info has been a massive help!!

TelTel84

Visit site
Not a good idea for a beginner to buy brand new clubs. Golf clubs normally don't deteriorate with moderate use &, if you are buying online, the 7 day return facility is really valuable. If you buy used clubs & don't get on with them you can often get most of your money back by selling on E Bay.

I can see where your coming from mate. I think I should take advantage of the 7 day return policy and try a few sets out.

huds1475

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I borrowed a friend of mines Callaway clubs last year and really felt connected with them.
You could get the specs off your friend and buy same from golfbidder;

Same club
Same shaft make and flex
Same shaft length

Could be pretty close to what you used and liked without over complicating things.

TelTel84

Visit site
You could get the specs off your friend and buy same from golfbidder;

Same club
Same shaft make and flex
Same shaft length

Could be pretty close to what you used and liked without over complicating things.

Very very true @huds1475, very true. I may even have a look and see if they have them in stock, thanks for that buddy.

TelTel84

Visit site
Hi Guys, just an update....

So i bit the bullet and purchased the new clubs i had mentioned along with a new bag and some other bits. I played an 18 hole with them after a session on the driving range with them. I can say i was overly impressed with them in comparison to my other cheap clubs that were given to me. My new clubs have given me more confidence to work on good consistency and improve my game.

i will in the months to come get fitted with the new ones but for now i will enjoy what i have till i feel i need to improve my game further.

Thanks again for all the feedback on this post, very much appreciated.

Terry