Should I get PGA qualified?

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Now im no expert, that hardly shocked anyone , this IMPACT thing has me , i always said its about lining the club up behind the ball aiming where you want it to go then geting the club back to this exact set up position .. so for me its always about the position / relationship of the ball and the club at IMPACT .. how you get the club away from and back to the moment of impact is not as important ..

Check this article out then! http://www.mytpi.com/articles/swing/setup_and_impact

Or just check these 2 pics out http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgu...M1UtfmGcTOhAeK74HACg&ved=0CFgQ9QEwBw&dur=2280

Setup and Impact positions are significantly different.

Your Pro may well have been given the impression that they are the same! Or he may well have glossed over the difference because he figured you didn't need to know.

There are plenty of myths about the golf swing that have been knocked down and plenty more to go! Whether the elimination of such myths really matters is a different question though!

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
So one we decide on what we perceive to be the prefect impact for the shot we desire then how do we achieve that perfect impact position ?

You swing. If the swing is good you'll produce the impact conditions you are after.

But what happens if the impact conditions you are after DON'T create the ball flight you are after?

That's why you need to know impact.

For example... how could you teach someone to hit a straight shot if you don't know what impact conditions actually create a straight shot?

You could stand there trying to hit a straight shot, but if you're creating the conditions for a slice instead then you're never going to hit the straight shot no matter how long you stand there, you'll just keep slicing.

D

Deleted member 1740

That's great, what's your h/cap? how often do you play?

(the reference to S&T is because people think that's what I teach so I thought I'd mention it)

My handicap now is 16 and i started off 24.

Although losing 8 shots in four seasons doesn't sound execptional, my allround game has improved massively. I need to improve my course management and concentrate a bit better.

I usually play in 2 comps a week.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
My handicap now is 16 and i started off 24.

Although losing 8 shots in four seasons doesn't sound execptional, my allround game has improved massively. I need to improve my course management and concentrate a bit better.

The measure of the result/value is down to the player :thup:

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
Check this article out then! http://www.mytpi.com/articles/swing/setup_and_impact

Or just check these 2 pics out http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgu...M1UtfmGcTOhAeK74HACg&ved=0CFgQ9QEwBw&dur=2280

Setup and Impact positions are significantly different.

Your Pro may well have been given the impression that they are the same! Or he may well have glossed over the difference because he figured you didn't need to know.

There are plenty of myths about the golf swing that have been knocked down and plenty more to go! Whether the elimination of such myths really matters is a different question though!

Totally a personal thought mate , I had no anything to back up its correctness apart from it works for me , & im not one bit surprised i had it wrong ha ha i was referring totally to what i try to do, i try to get the club head back to the same spot i had it at set up ,. dont have a pro , had 3 lessons at the start of this year , first time ever , guy was on sell sell sell over drive so i couldnt take to him .. could have been 100% my fault

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Is the right answer :thup:

Impact is the important part, not the swing.

The attached video is a very simple explanation on how the clubface should impact the ball. This is the kind of instruction beginners would benefit from:

[video=youtube;XZkBnvuvk-Y]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZkBnvuvk-Y[/video]

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Totally a personal thought mate , I had no anything to back up its correctness apart from it works for me , & im not one bit surprised i had it wrong ha ha i was referring totally to what i try to do, i try to get the club head back to the same spot i had it at set up ,. dont have a pro , had 3 lessons at the start of this year , first time ever , guy was on sell sell sell over drive so i couldnt take to him .. could have been 100% my fault
That's fine then - as long as you appreciate the difference and don't teach that they are the same! For me, I believe the neutral set-up may have been a contributor to my lack of shaft lean at impact. Impact position is certainly my main thought even at address.

SatchFan

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Back on the topic of impact there was an article in April's edition of Todays Golfer entitled Impact, Golf's New Fundamental by Scott Cranfield in which he gave advice and drills on the moment of impact. Some of you might find it interesting.

A

Alex1975

Impact impact impact...

Every month I have a lesson with my pro, every month we talk about a position he wants me to be in on the way back. I started to think I was either thick or physically unable. Before I move on he is absolutely correct about the position.

I spent a year trying to attain this position, hundreds of balls every night, and then I got sick of it. I sat on the floor on my matt with a ball and a club and looked at impact... Actually looked where the club wanted to be. After a while I got up and slowly started to place my body around the impact position. As the hours went by I build per shot and setup around this position, all I did was work over and over to find the best way to phisically reach that position in the easiest way my body can.

To cut a very long story short I have absolutely no clue how I get to it, I have no knolage of my back swing and I can't recall it even right after a shot. Previously I could only tell you about it, I have a sneaky suspicion I even took a peek at the shaft on the way back. It would seem I now hit that position more times than not. My game has taken a turn I never believed possible.

Me as a person needed to be taught the impact position, my body knew how to get there once it knew where it was going.

It won't be the same for everyone.

Last edited:

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
I haven't read all (or indeed most) of the 16 pages, but in summary, have we concluded that the way you hit the ball is quite important in golf?

Wow.

Could someone now also look at the important questions of whether bears use Andrex and whether the Pope is a Catholic?