Should I get new irons?

popeye

Hacker
Visit site
Due to several reasons I have just come into a bit of cash that will enable me to afford a new set of irons but given the high price of clubs these days I'm not sure if it's something I should go for or not.

At the minute I am using a set of Ben Hogan bh-5 that where launched about 15 years ago and are unfitted. I play of 19 but want a set that will enable me to learn and I can keep as my HC goes down.

I have a budget of £1000 which will include fitting-i already have regular lessons booked and budgeted for so this money really is ear marked for gear.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
You could go for a fitting which may cost you 30 quid and then look on the 2nd hand market for a same spec set at less money.
If the irons are forged then it's easy to get them altered to your spec, again only for a few quid

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Absolutely 100% - buy new irons.

Speak to a professional or a club fitter, explain your budget and what you want.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
You could go for a fitting which may cost you 30 quid and then look on the 2nd hand market for a same spec set at less money.
If the irons are forged then it's easy to get them altered to your spec, again only for a few quid
Definitely bargains to be had going down the second hand route.

If I was the OP I'd start off by speaking to the pro he's having lessons from and get recommendations from him/her and go from there. It isn't uncommon for the cost of any custom fit to be taken off the price when a set of irons are bought. Depending on where the OP lives, there should be a decent fitting centre/fitter not too far away so he should be able to test a few brands side by side

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Definitely worth getting fitted, but if you can get hold of a new set that came out a year or two ago you will save up to 50% on the price of a current set.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Money to spend. New shiny clubs. Mmmmmmmm I'd possibly weigh it up in my head for at least 2 seconds before acquiring a speeding ticket on my way to the golf Pro ?