Should he cut himself?

Leftie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Guy I regularly play with is a bandit of his official H/Cap of 7 but doesn't perform as well with a card in his hand. Not a deliberate ploy, just (I assume) the added pressure of a medal round. We have on occasions put in supplementaries for him whether he liked it or not and he has been cut, only to gradually rise again through comps.

We played today at an "away" course (Knole Park) and he shot a net 67 off the whites with a SSS of 70, and intends to put the card in for H/cap reduction. H/cap should come down to 6.

The problem is that the card will not be received and processed before he plays in a comp on Sunday.

Should he ....

A) put his card into the box asap and play off 6 in the comp?

B) ditto but play off 7 in the comp?

C) Play off 7 in the comp and put the card in later?

He is adamant that he has had this situation some years ago and was given a ruling that he is right in playing off 7 on Sunday if the card has not been received and processed by the H/cap secretary.

I disagree and think that he should cut himself regardless of whether the card has been processed or not.

Who is right please?

I can understand his view if it involved being cut to 5 as County would need to be involved. Is he getting confused with this or am I totally wrong.

BTatHome

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm more confused about this idea of his "friends" deciding when he should play supplementary cards, certainly at ours you must confirm before your round that you are playing a supplementary card and sign in to the computer ... was this new card an open comp? As surely a supplementary is only for your home course.

... and if all the above is correct and above board for the new card then he should perform the necessary adjustment before his next comp.

DCB

Visit site
He can't put the card in as a supplementary as they can only be done on your home course. It's not a card that should be used to implement a cut according to the CONGU system.

He can put it in to his home club if he likes, but they can't really do anything with it.

Good play over a course you are visiting though ;)

Tommo21

Tour Winner
www.royalmusselburgh.co.uk
Guy I regularly play with is a bandit of his official H/Cap of 7 but doesn't perform as well with a card in his hand. Not a deliberate ploy, just (I assume) the added pressure of a medal round. We have on occasions put in supplementaries for him whether he liked it or not and he has been cut, only to gradually rise again through comps.

We played today at an "away" course (Knole Park) and he shot a net 67 off the whites with a SSS of 70, and intends to put the card in for H/cap reduction. H/cap should come down to 6.

The problem is that the card will not be received and processed before he plays in a comp on Sunday.

Should he ....

A) put his card into the box asap and play off 6 in the comp?

B) ditto but play off 7 in the comp?

C) Play off 7 in the comp and put the card in later?

He is adamant that he has had this situation some years ago and was given a ruling that he is right in playing off 7 on Sunday if the card has not been received and processed by the H/cap secretary.

I disagree and think that he should cut himself regardless of whether the card has been processed or not.

Who is right please?

I can understand his view if it involved being cut to 5 as County would need to be involved. Is he getting confused with this or am I totally wrong.

You are right.................you're totally wrong.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
if he's playing me on Monday can he please play of 4..... :)

back to the question -

1. was the event at Knole a qualifying competition?

if the answer to that is yes then he cut's himself to SSS until CSS known - it's effective as soon as he finishes the round. the end.

if the answer is no then he should just bin the card, it has no value in handicapping and cannot be submitted as a supplementary under any circumstances, even if he's a member at Knole and it's his away course! Supplementaries can only be submitted at your home club based on scores on your home course (and after signing in for one before heading out).

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
He's had a great round well played that man. Everyone else has covered his cut or not with the away supplementary situation.

But what's the we put supplementarys in for him bit??? Surely he has to declare the round a card before play starts and no just play well and ask for a cut ...... Those were the days great round general play card in h/cap sec upset 6 shots off ... :)

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
If he's got to 7 he's probably pretty much blob on for handicap. Without knowing a lot more detail I might question why is friends are (almost) persecuting him...?

Leftie

Tour Winner
Visit site
It's not persecution, it's trying to help him.

He's embarrassed by his h/cap. He knows that it is too high and is fed up with people alluding to his banditry in bounce games and swindles etc. but not being able to do anything about it under CONGU regs because of the card in his hand. May sound a bit daft to some, but he will not enter Board events as he doesn't want the risk of winning and getting the likely bad-mouthing. He has been in more than his fair share of winners of various team events and doesn't now enter the club match play KO's.

The Supplementary card issue was a while ago now but a couple of his swindle players thought that they had found a loophole in the (newish at the time) CONGU regs and decided, with his agreement, that on random occasions they would go into the Pro shop and declare a supplementary on his behalf - without telling him until after the round. We now know of course that your handicap should be a reflection of your ability of playing in a comp with the pressure of a card in your hand, not how well you generally play. Crazy??:confused:

Tommo21

Tour Winner
www.royalmusselburgh.co.uk

He's embarrassed by his h/cap. He knows that it is too high and is fed up with people alluding to his banditry in bounce games and swindles etc. but not being able to do anything about it under CONGU regs because of the card in his hand. May sound a bit daft to some, but he will not enter Board events as he doesn't want the risk of winning and getting the likely bad-mouthing. He has been in more than his fair share of winners of various team events and doesn't now enter the club match play KO's. :

So, put a card in his hand and he cant do it.............but with no pressure he can. Bothered about getting bad mounthed...really. How can he get bad mouthed if he cant do it with a card!!!!!! How did he get to the HC he's got now. You are not a better golfer if you can't do it when it counts.

He's fed up with the banditry in bounce games. It's a bounce game FGS. What he should do is reverse all this and only play in comps, that way he will crap it or get cut. You are only as good as you are when playing comps......bounce games, roll ups whatever, do not count IMHO. When someone says to me whats your best score I never quote bounce games only medal play.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
So, put a card in his hand and he cant do it.............but with no pressure he can. Bothered about getting bad mounthed...really. How can he get bad mouthed if he cant do it with a card!!!!!! How did he get to the HC he's got now. You are not a better golfer if you can't do it when it counts.

He's fed up with the banditry in bounce games. It's a bounce game FGS. What he should do is reverse all this and only play in comps, that way he will crap it or get cut. You are only as good as you are when playing comps......bounce games, roll ups whatever, do not count IMHO. When someone says to me whats your best score I never quote bounce games only medal play.

I agree. It's doing it in comp that matters... if he's scared of winning the comp tell him that's exactly what you want to see!! Tell him to go for it, you wanna see a sub-par round outta him!!! Then he'll get that cut he seems to want AND get over his 'card in hand' nerves.

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Am I missing something here? I don't see a 'great' round! He's pretty much played to his h/cap in a bounce game at an away course, well done but its not a medal, if it was the CSS might have come down.
A 'bandit' of 7! Does he shoot scratch mostly in bounce games or is he regularly 1 or 2 over so nearer a 3-4 h/cap?

I've gone 5 under in a bounce game in hot weather but nowhere near in a medal:rolleyes:

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

He's embarrassed by his h/cap. He knows that it is too high and is fed up with people alluding to his banditry in bounce games and swindles etc. but not being able to do anything about it under CONGU regs because of the card in his hand. May sound a bit daft to some, but he will not enter Board events as he doesn't want the risk of winning and getting the likely bad-mouthing. He has been in more than his fair share of winners of various team events and doesn't now enter the club match play KO's.

The Supplementary card issue was a while ago now but a couple of his swindle players thought that they had found a loophole in the (newish at the time) CONGU regs and decided, with his agreement, that on random occasions they would go into the Pro shop and declare a supplementary on his behalf - without telling him until after the round. We now know of course that your handicap should be a reflection of your ability of playing in a comp with the pressure of a card in your hand, not how well you generally play. Crazy??:confused:

If he can't do it with a card in his hand, what makes him think he'll win a board comp?