Shotscope v3

D

Deleted member 25172

First round using shotscope today.

Impressed? I wouldn't say that, but it'll probably be of use in the long run.

A lot of editing required post round to get it right I find, and it's hard to remember distances on the green, so not sure how accurate the putting stats will be.

Speaking of which. If anyone could help me answer what the discrepancy below is caused by? 16+16 = 32. Round has been saved and it's the only round recorded, but as you can see, it doesn't match up on the "performance" section as it says I had 30 putts?

Yes, it was a dreadful round. No need for shotscope to show me that.

1654180116753.png 1654180166616.png

Beedee

Assistant Pro
Visit site

A lot of editing required post round to get it right I find, and it's hard to remember distances on the green, so not sure how accurate the putting stats will be.

Speaking of which. If anyone could help me answer what the discrepancy below is caused by? 16+16 = 32. Round has been saved and it's the only round recorded, but as you can see, it doesn't match up on the "performance" section as it says I had 30 putts?

My initial guess would be that two of the putts were from just off the green. Shotscope likes all strokes with the putter to be tagged as putts. Then it decides which ones were on the green (putting stats) and which ones were off the green (short game stats). Just a guess tho.

DeanoMK

Club Champion
Visit site

View attachment 42874 View attachment 42875

As said above, a putt that's not on the green isn't counted as a putt in the true sense, it's the same for any stat tracking system.

D

Deleted member 25172

My initial guess would be that two of the putts were from just off the green. Shotscope likes all strokes with the putter to be tagged as putts. Then it decides which ones were on the green (putting stats) and which ones were off the green (short game stats). Just a guess tho.

God knows, but now the stats have synced up so 32 putts is showing for the round itself and also in the "performance" view. Perhaps just needed another sync.

For next round I'll probably have to take with me like a small notebook and see if I CBA to try and be a bit more accurate with pin positions and distance as this seem to be the biggest flaw where the system isn't picking the shots up properly.

Yorkhacker

Visit site

Putting is the most problematic area, due to the GPS not being accurate to a close enough distance. I've also read that you should lift your putter out with your non watch hand, but not sure if that's true

To get around the problem I pace the distance to the hole for each putt, as part of the green reading, and make a note of the distance to the flag. It really doesn't slow you down once you get used to it. I also note whether each putt has gone past or short of the hole. Eg 10ft, 5ftP (past), 3ftS (short). I also note the pin position, such as FR (front right), MR (middle right) BM etc.
It gives me very accurate putting stats. Just remember that you if you have a 10ft putt and it goes 5ft past, your first putt has actually travelled 15ft.
Ive got the editing down to a fine art, and I know my stats are accurate. The hassle is not for everybody.

D

Deleted member 25172

Putting is the most problematic area, due to the GPS not being accurate to a close enough distance. I've also read that you should lift your putter out with your non watch hand, but not sure if that's true

To get around the problem I pace the distance to the hole for each putt, as part of the green reading, and make a note of the distance to the flag. It really doesn't slow you down once you get used to it. I also note whether each putt has gone past or short of the hole. Eg 10ft, 5ftP (past), 3ftS (short). I also note the pin position, such as FR (front right), MR (middle right) BM etc.
It gives me very accurate putting stats. Just remember that you if you have a 10ft putt and it goes 5ft past, your first putt has actually travelled 15ft.
Ive got the editing down to a fine art, and I know my stats are accurate. The hassle is not for everybody.

I'm a nerd, or an idiot, or a mix of both. I've already got the measure tape out to measure my paces this afternoon as that is what I'm going to start doing moving forward on the course.

Now I just need to learn how to play golf again! :)

Springveldt

Visit site
I'm a nerd, or an idiot, or a mix of both. I've already got the measure tape out to measure my paces this afternoon as that is what I'm going to start doing moving forward on the course.

Now I just need to learn how to play golf again! :)
? I did the same. With my short legs a standard, comfortable step is 2 foot long so I just count my paces to the hole after I’ve putted.

Not exactly scientific but better than GPS which just isn’t accurate enough yet.

Beedee

Assistant Pro
Visit site
? I did the same. With my short legs a standard, comfortable step is 2 foot long so I just count my paces to the hole after I’ve putted.

Not exactly scientific but better than GPS which just isn’t accurate enough yet.
I did the same, and about 2 feet per step for me too. I can remenber in the days of lore when GPSs were still witchcraft, people pacing out from marker posts. 30 steps = 30 yards. No it wasn't. They were short arses just like me! :ROFLMAO:

D

Deleted member 25172

Second round today and did make the notes on the putting as suggested. Didn't take much, if any extra time at all, so now the putting numbers should be fairly accurate moving forward hopefully. Most likely down to me having just started using this, but I do quite enjoy sitting down by the computer afterwards and input and make any and all edits to the round.

Yorkhacker

Visit site
Second round today and did make the notes on the putting as suggested. Didn't take much, if any extra time at all, so now the putting numbers should be fairly accurate moving forward hopefully. Most likely down to me having just started using this, but I do quite enjoy sitting down by the computer afterwards and input and make any and all edits to the round.

That's great. If it helps, here's a copy of my front 9 today, so you can see how I keep track. It's pretty self explanatory, but just in case A= no. of shots to green and whether I made FIR (shotscope isn't always accurate due to the way fairways are cut) B = no. of putts and whether I made GIR. C= length of putts and whether I was long (P = past the hole) or short (S). D = whether my approach was short long or pin high (PH). Final column is pin position. I do this walking between holes and it never takes more than 30 seconds.

IMG_20220605_221426.jpg

D

Deleted member 25172

That's great. If it helps, here's a copy of my front 9 today, so you can see how I keep track. It's pretty self explanatory, but just in case A= no. of shots to green and whether I made FIR (shotscope isn't always accurate due to the way fairways are cut) B = no. of putts and whether I made GIR. C= length of putts and whether I was long (P = past the hole) or short (S). D = whether my approach was short long or pin high (PH). Final column is pin position. I do this walking between holes and it never takes more than 30 seconds.

View attachment 42905

Thanks, that’s very helpful! One thing I realised when doing the putting editing as per your first reply, I basically have to remove all recorded putts and add it back in to get the distances right. In column C, I can see that on 2 holes, you just have an “F”. Would I be right thinking that is fringe of the green?

Yorkhacker

Visit site
Thanks, that’s very helpful! One thing I realised when doing the putting editing as per your first reply, I basically have to remove all recorded putts and add it back in to get the distances right. In column C, I can see that on 2 holes, you just have an “F”. Would I be right thinking that is fringe of the green?

Glad you found it useful. You are correct F is Fringe. So I've used my putter, but it doesn't count in the putting stats. I don't measure these for that reason

Springveldt

Visit site
I just move the putt or the flag to the correct distance, don't need to delete or add anything. It's much easier to edit on a PC as the drag and drop works better on a big screen with a mouse. You can do it on a phone but I find it much slower. Edited Saturday's round last night, took me about 5 minutes total.

I'm also lucky that I have a pretty good memory so I can basically remember every shot I took in a round even a few days later. I just remember the distance of the first putt on most holes as my lag putting has been really good lately and the 2nd putt is normally within 3 feet. If it's not I remember that distance as well by the step method.

D

Deleted member 25172

I just move the putt or the flag to the correct distance, don't need to delete or add anything. It's much easier to edit on a PC as the drag and drop works better on a big screen with a mouse. You can do it on a phone but I find it much slower. Edited Saturday's round last night, took me about 5 minutes total.

I'm also lucky that I have a pretty good memory so I can basically remember every shot I took in a round even a few days later. I just remember the distance of the first putt on most holes as my lag putting has been really good lately and the 2nd putt is normally within 3 feet. If it's not I remember that distance as well by the step method.

I do all the editing on my laptop also as it’s much easier.

The only reason I delete is so I can measure up the first putt to the pin correctly as I noticed, as an example: in my first round, I had say a 20ft putt to the pin, raced it by 6ft. What I did incorrectly was that I then set my first putt to be 20ft to the place of where I then subsequently had my 2nd putt from, and not 26ft. If that makes sense?

Another thing I noticed is that in particular tee shots need to be looked at. Sometimes it looks like the place of the tee shot is almost pre-decided by the app, typically somewhere at the fron of the tee box.

Reactions: sjw

Springveldt

Visit site
I do all the editing on my laptop also as it’s much easier.

The only reason I delete is so I can measure up the first putt to the pin correctly as I noticed, as an example: in my first round, I had say a 20ft putt to the pin, raced it by 6ft. What I did incorrectly was that I then set my first putt to be 20ft to the place of where I then subsequently had my 2nd putt from, and not 26ft. If that makes sense?
Yeah, makes sense. I zoom in on the map, put my 2nd putt on the hole and then move my first putt (if I need to). Then just move the 2nd putt. Much easier than deleting and adding imho.

Another thing I noticed is that in particular tee shots need to be looked at. Sometimes it looks like the place of the tee shot is almost pre-decided by the app, typically somewhere at the fron of the tee box.
Your course might need remapped. Just send a message to ShotScope support saying that the tees are wrong on whichever hole. The app defaults to Yellow tees (I got them to add White tees for my course) so it will move your start location to what has been mapped as the tee area which may be wrong.

I've asked them to remap the green on a few holes on my course and also a few tee boxes. They normally get back within a day saying there is a new update to download. From the next week onwards the tee was correct. Customer support has been great.

sjw

Visit site
I think it's very very good, the amount of stats included is tremendous. No GPS problems for me, apart from it inexplicably taking a long time to get an initial lock to work out what course you're playing. No reason for that to be happening, in my eyes, but there we go.

Sure, sometimes you need to manually edit the round, like if you duff a shot out of the rough a few yards, and use the same club again, you'll have to add that shot in. You just have to remember which holes that happened on. If you keep a manual scorecard as well, you can just compare at the end of the round the two scores, and any holes that the watch has miscounted, you know there's extra shots to be added there, and you can remember where they were.

WRT putting, you need to make sure you take some time over each putt, to allow the GPS time to lock. It's actually very accurate after that.

There will be times when it thinks you've made a sand save when you weren't actually quite in the bunker, or similar, when the GPS is slightly off. Again, just change it manually.

The "medals", you might have to take with a pinch of salt. Who knows if the 30-foot putt was actually 30 feet and not 28.7?

My biggest gripe is having to manually change each positional shot to reflect the fact. Not punch-outs, that's fine, but if I'm 250 yards out on a par 5, and I'm hitting my 6 iron, which averages probably 160, the watch should know that that's positional, and that I'm not going for the green.