Shotscope v3

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
On the GPS, it needs a clear day, and just not as good as my Golfbuddy world at giving reliable info. Which is very disconcerting, as you only realise this flaw when it is a long way out. Which can be 50+ yards sometimes, which makes me worry about when it is less obvious and you trust it - but it is 10 or 20 yards wrong. So sunny days only I think. Golfbuddy works no matter what.
On the tags, I havent tried it since I realised the errors, and front reading, it does seem like a bit of a prototype thing yet given the amount of data correction effort you have to put in after a round. If you are committed, it probably works. But doesnt seem to be a fully reliable system yet. May give it a go in the summer.

Yorkhacker

Visit site
If you enter shotscope in the search function on this forum, you'll find plenty of opinions on it. Some like it, some don't. I disagree with #2 above, but that is only from my personal experience

phillarrow

Visit site
I've got one and I find it really useful. It does take some editing afterwards but I kind of enjoy that part of it and it helps me to pay a bit more attention to my game and both my strengths and weaknesses.

I've not found any issues with the gps being 20 yards out and I've played with it in all sorts of weather. It isn't accurate to the point of being within a few feet on the greens, but there's no way it's ever been more than a few feet out for me, certainly not in the realms of 10-20 yards. As long as you pay attention to where the flag is on each green, it's very easy to edit afterwards.

I particularly like the Strokes Gained aspect because it's helped to give me more realistic expectations of the different aspects of my game. I also like the fact that you don't have to remember to touch anything or connect anything prior to each shot. My only real gripe with it is that it occasionally misses an entire swing, which I find a bit odd.

My gut feeling is that future iterations will be much better, but I do like it and I don't regret buying it.

Springveldt

Visit site
On the GPS, it needs a clear day, and just not as good as my Golfbuddy world at giving reliable info. Which is very disconcerting, as you only realise this flaw when it is a long way out. Which can be 50+ yards sometimes, which makes me worry about when it is less obvious and you trust it - but it is 10 or 20 yards wrong. So sunny days only I think. Golfbuddy works no matter what.
On the tags, I havent tried it since I realised the errors, and front reading, it does seem like a bit of a prototype thing yet given the amount of data correction effort you have to put in after a round. If you are committed, it probably works. But doesnt seem to be a fully reliable system yet. May give it a go in the summer.
Surprised you’ve got one considering you seem to hate all tech in golf.

I love mine, works fine in all weather. You will need to edit putts after the round as gps just isn’t accurate enough yet but I never have an issue with the front/middle/back distances or the hazard distances. Maybe I’m just lucky and have decent coverage in the areas I’ve used it.

It gives good insights into your game and what you need to work on.

Platypus

Visit site
I had the V1, then the V2 and now the V3 which is a definite improvement on the earlier ones.
There is some editing to be done after each round, but it's normally only tweaks, like adding penalties if I didn't do it on the course or adjusting putting strokes for gimmies etc.
I've not noticed any issues with the GPS distances, I also use a Skycaddie SX500 and the distances are normally within a yard or two of each other.
The only time it's been a bigger difference is if I'm under some tree cover when both units will be struggling, although to be fair the SX500 has less of a problem getting an accurate fix here.

I like the V3 and the insight into your game that it is able to give you, but it does require some user effort to get the best out of it.
Making best use of the insights it gives is another thing...
Again, some effort is required from the user to understand the stats and do something about your weaknesses.
This is where I normally don't put enough effort in. :confused:

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Surprised you’ve got one considering you seem to hate all tech in golf

Quite the contrary. Am an engineer and very interested and in favour of all thing tech, and GPS is a genuinely useful tool and glad they have become easily affordable and a standard part of golf, but possibly why I also look at some of the snake oil 'tech' in golf with a more critical eye, and see much of it as not tech at all, but the fantasy of marketing departments.

Yorkhacker

Visit site
I like the V3 and the insight into your game that it is able to give you, but it does require some user effort to get the best out of it.
Making best use of the insights it gives is another thing...
Again, some effort is required from the user to understand the stats and do something about your weaknesses.
This is where I normally don't put enough effort in. :confused:

I totally agree with this. There are so many stats, it is very easy to become overwhelmed. I've made the decision this year to only include the stats where I've played up to 3 shots over my handicap. That way I can see the areas I consistently need to improve to get my handicap down. Any more than that I know I've just had one of those rounds!

Yorkhacker

Visit site
Quite the contrary. Am an engineer and very interested and in favour of all thing tech, and GPS is a genuinely useful tool and glad they have become easily affordable and a standard part of golf, but possibly why I also look at some of the snake oil 'tech' in golf with a more critical eye, and seeucg of it for not tech at all, but the fantasy of marketing departments.

Are you suggesting shotscope is snake oil tech?

casuk

Head Pro
Visit site
IV been using this for a few years upgraded from the V2 I find the GPS more accurate than any watch IV had previously, (Garmin s20, golf buddy wtx) the editing for me is an issue and you shouldn't really need to do it, I also use the manual putting feature which I find more accurate, the stats are great and really humble your actual game to how you think you play, for beginners I think it's a key piece of kit even if it's just for club distances

Bert

Club Champion
Visit site
Can I ask what the putting function is like? I’ve got Arccos with the link and it’s garbage!! Pressing the crown doesn’t work when locating the flag and my first putt is always off the green!! I could be doing something wrong! Toying in changing if it’s any better to the new H4 as I like the idea of tagging each shot.

Last edited:

casuk

Head Pro
Visit site
I thought arccos had a better set up with stats layout ect, but I didn't like the putting feature or the subscription fee, shot scope is pretty good the putting is probably the better of the systems when used correctly you need to give the watch time to catch up if your too quick it will give false gps readings like ball position, I prefer the manual putt as I like to practice my stroke when waiting, as a stand alone GPS watch it's very accurate too, basically the putting works in 2 ways auto or manual, auto works like any other club the watch reads the tag and pins the GPS position on the course but will change from yardage to the putting side when you are 5/10 yards from the green, once you sink the putt press pin on the watch at the pin to set the pin position, watch then goes to the next hole, manual, once your at your ball you would need to press + on the watch to mark were the ball would be for every putt you have once sunk press pin, same as auto mode, quite simple.

Last edited:

phillarrow

Visit site
Can I ask what the putting function is like? I’ve got Arccos with the link and it’s garbage!! Pressing the crown doesn’t work when locating the flag and my first putt is always off the green!! I could be doing something wrong! Toying in changing if it’s any better to the new H4 as I like the idea of tagging each shot.

In terms of precise location, not very good.
But in terms of simplicity of use, it's fine. The watch display changes when you get onto the green and you then press a button for 1, 2 or 3 putts. The fourth button takes you to a second page for four putts plus.
If you remember to press the button when standing next to the flag it really improves but the accuracy of the hole location and the final score for the hole. If not, you then need to edit it afterwards and that would include editing the number of putts.

Once you get into the habit of pressing the watch, it's much better and the editing afterwards is less of a faff.

Not perfect by any means, but good once you get into the right habit. ?

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
A clear day? Really? Most of my golf is on cloudy days with no issues on connection. Also distances are pretty much spot on when compared with yardage markers or other GPS users. I've never even seen 5 yards out. Never mind 50!
Have you contacted Shotscope with your issues?
I like my V3. Easy to read, easy to use and provides since interesting stats. I'd recommend it.

bigslice

Tour Winner
Visit site
I thought arccos had a better set up with stats layout ect, but I didn't like the putting feature or the subscription fee, shot scope is pretty good the putting is probably the better of the systems when used correctly you need to give the watch time to catch up if your too quick it will give false gps readings like ball position, I prefer the manual putt as I like to practice my stroke when waiting, as a stand alone GPS watch it's very accurate too, basically the putting works in 2 ways auto or manual, auto works like any other club the watch reads the tag and pins the GPS position on the course but will change from yardage to the putting side when you are 5/10 yards from the green, once you sink the putt press pin on the watch at the pin to set the pin position, watch then goes to the next hole, manual, once your at your ball you would need to press + on the watch to mark were the ball would be for every putt you have once sunk press pin, same as auto mode, quite simple.

is there any discount codes \ refferal scheme going for shotscope? Ive got an itch and the h4 has caught my eye

Bert

Club Champion
Visit site
I got the h4 in the end and it’s brilliant. I keep in my pocket and tag the club before each shot. I used ”paige” and this got me 10% off.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
just had a look at the H4....am I right in thinking that it is a manual tagging device (where the user is responsible for tapping the club sensor on the device after each shot) rather than an auto shot detection device?