Shorter clubs for people with height disadvantage!

drakey09

Visit site
I'm 5 foot 7 and play off of 4. I have never been completely fitted for any of my clubs although I have had my irons moved to 2 degrees flat.

Should I be thinking of getting my clubs shortened? Especially thinking about my driver, it is a NIke VR Tour driver that measures 45.75 inches.

My bad shot is a pull that can turn into a nasty hook!

Thanks for your help.

Adam

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site
All I can say is. I am 5ft 6ins. My irons are half an inch shorter with a standard lie. But my woods, are standard length and lie. Works for me. But may not work for anyone else.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Hi drakey, welcome to the forums :)

I'm around the same height as you and also have clubs 2 degrees flat (fitted), but standard length.

A lot of pro's much taller than us have shorter driver shafts, but nothing to do with the lie of the head, they are just much easier to control.

I'd say if you're a bit wild with the driver then it would be worth trying a shorter shaft. If you want to have your own shortened is up to you, there's always a chance you won't like it.

Mungoscorner

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Welcome aboard Drakey.
Your height is only one measurement,to some extent it will influence club length,and lie,but hand to floor measurement is more critical.
It may be worth your while having somebody have a quick look,and maybe hit a few balls with some impact tape,to determine whether the lies are correct.
I wouldn't have thought you'd need the club length altering,as 5,7 isn't what i'd call a height disadvantage.
All the best,hope you get sorted.

drakey09

Visit site
Thank you for all your advice.

Think I may take one of my older clubs and have it cut down a bit and see how i strike it before i do anything more. May do the same with an older driver.

thanks again.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Thank you for all your advice.

Think I may take one of my older clubs and have it cut down a bit and see how i strike it before i do anything more. May do the same with an older driver.

thanks again.

It's not a difficult job to determine if your current clubs are right as far as lie angle goes (which can be altered by length of shaft as well as bending the head).

They'll put some tape on the sole of your club and have you hit balls off of a strike board, which is like a perspex/plastic type oblong of material. It makes a mark on the tape where the sole is hitting the ground, and if it's not in the middle of the sole your clubs might need adjusting.
Getting an old club cut and regripped is more hassle imo.

d2cko

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I think a lot depends on the club manufacturer, I'm also 5' 7" ish and my old Titleist 704's needed to be taken down 1/4 inch but with my Mizuno MP-53s the standard length is perfect....

Probably because they are designed in Japan...

My driver is full length too but I have been considering getting an inch taken off, I grip down it at the moment and get much more control.

D2